Trojan:Win32/Casdet!rfn

Go to solution Solved by MKDB,

• Solution

@stumpymattycat

First of all, I have good news: There is no active malware visible in the logfiles. 😉

Second, FRST shows that your harddisk (HDD from WesternDigital) has bad blocks:

Error: (04/10/2024 05:56:18 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )
Description: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Error: (04/10/2024 05:56:13 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

Error: (04/07/2024 09:21:52 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

Error: (04/07/2024 09:21:47 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

Error: (04/07/2024 09:21:41 PM) (Source: disk) (EventID: 7) (User: )

You may want to back up all private data on an external drive just for safety / if you hard drive "dies".

If you need further assistant regarding your hard drive, I'm pretty sure that @Porthos or @AdvancedSetup can move your topic to the correct subforum and give further tips.

Also, can you explain why windows defender wasn't working while in safe mode in the beginning, as shown in the first picture? And why the scan didn't work either? I'm just curious, as that's why I was mostly concerned, as I was aware megahack could get false positives.

• Root Admin

A bad block on a hard drive is an indicator that the drive is probably failing. How long the drive will last is unknown. It could be minutes or it could be years.

It's prudent to backup all your personal data to an external USB hard drive and research purchasing a new replacement hard drive.

Then install Windows on the new hard drive or transfer the operating system to the new drive

You could easily go to bed one night and turn the computer off and in the morning the drive could fail and you'd lose all your data.

• Thanks 1

As useful as that would be if I had a say in what hard drive I replaced it with, I unfortunately don't. My parents decide that. I do have an external hard drive by the way. Which one are you referring to when you mention the block? And finally, how do I actually transfer everything. Sorry I'm asking so much, but it's necessary.

As I said, I don't have a hard drive at the moment to do it with, and my parents don't seem to want to get me one for whatever reason. Not sure what to do. When I do get another one, it'll be a good bit of time, so what do I do?

BTW, when I refer to an external hard drive, I mean it's already in use. More of my stuff is actually in there than the one in my pc.

• Root Admin

Well if you're unable to get another drive then there simply isn't much else we can do for you.

Setup a Microsoft OneDrive account and make sure you backup data that you feel is important to you. It's not really a backup drive but can keep copies of many files for you.