Spring 2024

NewTricks

great news @digmorcrusher It helps seeing green and knowing something better is coming.

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

It's original meaning was the Hawthorn (May Tree) blossom coming out, which can be anywhere April-June.
https://www.ywt.org.uk/blog/jon-traill/ner-cast-clout-till-may-out

Pretty nice! Thanks for teaching me about the hawthorn. Yes, pink cherry blossoms are falling like confetti here, even have one on the patio I can see from my apartment. I want to bust the screen out for a good pic, but it is stuck pretty tight.

I can imagine when you consider a trim, it's significant. No half measures!

If I showed anyone here those 4 photos and said that they had been taken locally in the past week nobody would  suspect that they were actually taken on another continent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, NewTricks said:

Yes, thank you @nukecad

Good to hear, just that we hadn't seen you for a couple of weeks.
None of our business of course, but it's disconcerting when a regular just suddenly stops visiting.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 2

“In Flanders Fields” by John McCrae

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

credit: here

diocean.com.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahh, but from your link I thought that was an out of focus ant while I was looking for another snail.

Do you know this one?
Once you find him you'll see him every time and wonder why you couldn't spot him instantly before.
image.jpeg.4db272daa0760af905cbab2b3fc2f0b6.jpeg

PS. Now that would be a good 5,000 piece jigsaw.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/29/2024 at 9:51 PM, nukecad said:

from your link I thought that was an out of focus ant while I was looking for another snail.

Aww, I can see why you thought that. Sorry. I only included the link to bust the assumption that peonies NEEDED ants to start the blooming process. I've believed that all my life. Anyway, of little consequence, just a quirky thought.

YES, I FOUND HIM. Possibly 4 seconds though and I admit to magnifying the photo. Seems I can't live without image enhancement. Cataracts play a role, dammit. $400 for new specs! Grateful though this little issue could be resolved so cheaply compared to any alternative.

Yup, I know someone who might jump into that puzzle, but not me. Temporarily lost my zeal for cardboard. Instead a new converted fan of longevity and going all out with beetroot juice, kombucha, curcurmin, cacoa powder and (GASP!) whole milk. Yes, the kind where you need a paint shaker to integrate separated cream.

I won't type the "S" word but I'm now realizing how darn much sugar has caused inflammation. I'm only referring to a measly 2 teaspoons a day in coffee. And since I stopped HALLELUJAH and praise the Lord! Now for my thought of the day. My Fitbit told me it's true. I had a great night when I embraced a positive attitude before sleep. 🛌 In score parlance, excellent!

Clement Stone.jpg

• Like 1

Take the cream off and shake that.

It's how you make butter.

We used to do it as kids when all milk was full fat, (and delivered to your doorstep each morning in glass bottles with a foil top).

We'd take the cream off a few, into a lidded tuppaware container and shake until it sepertated into butter and buttermilk. Then pour off the buttermilk and scrape the butter off the sides of the container.

10 hours ago, nukecad said:

Take the cream off and shake that

Sounds good, but as kids you'd have the stamina to shake it. I'm not sure I would, but that's a fine idea for next time. Yes, I miss glass bottles with foil tops or glass bottles, period.  Now you can get them, but pay extra sometimes half the cost of the product. 😒 Its hard to find quart bottles. One person using a gallon of milk before it spoils...not often. So I save bottles to freeze milk and it works out well.

I would like to use that buttermilk to make pancakes. The last I made I posted here.

For two months I've been on a severely restricted diet, and as a result stopped all coffee. Not a bad idea since I dumped 2-3 teaspoons of sugar in it daily. Since I stopped that, oooooo, I feel so much better.  Totally shocked and amazed! No donuts either. Fish, beef or pork in the AM now.

BTW, I'm going to start blending protein powder, and other stuff for "smoothies" but flummoxed about blenders. Portable seem too wimpy. Countertop seems confusing, different wattage with all the bells and whistles. I won't be grinding ice. What would you suggest? I tried a Nutribullet for a while then gave it away. I didn't like the inverted design and it leaked if it wasn't exactly seated correctly. Plus difficult to clean.

I have survived a failed Windows 2021 installation and succeeded with an openoffice installation.

Now we'll see what kind of customer service stacksocial has. Response #1 was a boilerplate, instructing me where to find the Activation Code. As if I didn't know. No mention of "Gee, we're so sorry that didn't work, here's another code." I can only conclude this is the price to pay, which I didn't pay.