Spring 2024

NewTricks

🌺🌿🐑 Hello Friends! 💦🐰

Spring has arrived!  The Vernal equinox was 15 days ago on March 21. Last night, I realized Winter 2023 was still going strong. Oops! 

Today's news is about the solar Eclipse April 8, 2024 in upstate New York. To that end, the local community college is giving away kits to students. Included: a tee shirt, button, 2 ISO 12312-2 certified eclipse glasses, a photo filter and lots of astronomer/educator information sheets from NASA. For fun, there is a lesson on Experimenting with UV-sensitive BEADS, with a packet of beads, pipe cleaner and 8 page lesson, in color! The road at the north end of the lake is closed for 7 hours. Businesses are closing early and everyone is getting in the mood for "oooooooo-ing and ahhhhhhhhh-ing."

EsclipseSwag.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/5/2024 at 6:05 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Someone seems jazzed

Absolutely! But I had a struggle to set reasonable expectations for today. Since this will most likely be my last eclipse, I'm going to savor & enjoy. The next one is in 2045. But who knows?

That meant an early morning recconaissance mission where I discovered the pier is totally closed to vehicles, same for the adjoining road for 7 hours. 😢 That means walking in. My ankle did not like that 4 day streak of 3500 steps. That 3 month healing estimate was accurate. 🧐

Still, there are options.  Cloud cover looks minimal, so🤞

Happy April 8, 2024 ❤️

0408240646b.jpg

• Like 1

Joni Mitchell lyrics from Both Sides Now applied to Monday's eclipse: "Now they only block the sun." Perhaps it's one example of humans expecting the unpredictable, unfathomable natural world to conform to rituals and cultural desires.

Dense gray cloud cover 15 minutes before eclipse didn't dampen the community spirit for the hundreds that gathered on the sports fields and metal bleachers on campus hillsides. Before I went to join them, I noticed someone with a tripod set up on the front lawn. He had Efke Infrared IR820 film in a 1983 manual Minolta with the longest lens I've ever seen.

Contrary to my musings, I DID take some photos; before and during to illustrate the total darkness. I've selected one frame of a 24 second video I knew would be too big. Life is too short to learn how to edit! Maybe next year.

It was a lot of anticipation for 4 minutes. For those still employed, a nice break from the routine which offered hope of a historic moment. For the rest of us, a nice semi-holiday hype which bonds us through this lakeside "Chosen Spot."

0408241504.jpg

HopefulOwen.jpg

0408241521.jpg

• Like 1

My morning walk through "StoryWalk Park" was a brisk 37 degrees. Dew on the grass and only one other person. He had a curious magnetic sticker on his truck. Turns out I missed Phineas & Ferb, 2007-2015. Only 2 miles from my place, this park has been one of my favorites for level walking and wide open space-23 acres total.

0409240723.jpg

BakerParkTruck.jpg

0409240732_HDR.jpg

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I am in shorts about 90% of the month year round

Lucky YOU!  🍀

😢 77 in NY & NJ and dropping. FYI:  this is the only day in April it's gonna happen.

Edited by NewTricks
update

37 minutes ago, NewTricks said:

Lucky YOU!  🍀

😢 77 in NY & NJ and dropping. FYI:  this is the only day in April it's gonna happen.

I hope !

But since I last posted, it in now 69.

I spent the afternoon trying to correct my Shimano Front Derailuer shifting problems on my mountain bike.

Yesterday I was at the Monmouth Battlefield for the Eclipse with an afternoon of trail riding and trail walking.  After seeing such places as the Old Tenant Church and viewing NJ Militia's Captain Joshua (Jake) Huddy's burial marker, I had problems shifting gears.  EmoticonSad.gif.8b74691f81d6e757900dcbf3388de88a.gif

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Sad 1

I put my Bike in my car so it wasn't an issue.  Thanx @NewTricks !

The bike is a 24 speed.  3 gears in the Front and 8 gears on the rear.

It was only working in the mid gear (speeds 9 ~ 16) .  Now I have it working on the Mid (speeds 9 ~ 16) and Upper (speeds 17 ~ 24). 
So it is better but not 'fixed'. OK for street riding but not for rough and hilly terrains.

It may be time to replace the Shimano Front Derailuer as I am not a bike repair expert.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar