UI sizing

MBAM 5.0.17.99 UI sizing is too large and not vertically resizable.   The bottom of the UI is cutoff by the taskbar and not visible.  I have to use 150% scaling due to eyesight issues.  MBAM 4.9 is not like this.    Windows 22631.3155. 

Attached- with and without taskbar active.

2024-02-26_11h51_15.png

2024-02-26_11h51_52.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Root Admin

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

• Staff

In addition to what AdvancedSetup asked for, can you run dxdiag.exe and choose the "Save All Information..." button?  Then send me the resulting file?  This will collect a lot of metrics about your display configuration.

Thanks in advance.

23 hours ago, ChuckOp said:

In addition to what AdvancedSetup asked for, can you run dxdiag.exe and choose the "Save All Information..." button?  Then send me the resulting file?  This will collect a lot of metrics about your display configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Easy one first.  DXDIAG attached.   If I could simply resize vertically that would solve it.  MBAM is not respecting space already allocated.

DxDiag.txt

• Thanks 2

On 2/26/2024 at 12:10 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

mbst-grab-results.zip

• Thanks 1

• Staff

Okay, so this is a problem. The minimum screen sizes for Windows 10 is 800x600.  Windows 11 is "720p", effectively 1280x720 or HD.

However, those both assume 100% DPI scaling.

In this case, running with a screen resolution of 1920x1080 with 150% scaling results in 720 pixels vertically available to the applications - less with the taskbar showing.  

With Malwarebytes v4, our UI framework was poor at handling scaling, particularly when moving between different monitors at different DPI settings.  Malwarebytes v5 does scaling properly.  

However, our dashboard needs slightly more than what's available on 1080 with 150% scaling.  

The good news is that you are not missing out on any functionality.  The only thing that is not visible is the window frame. You can see this more clearly if you maximize the Malwarebytes v5 window, which removes the window frame (screen shot attached).

We need to adjust our minimum vertical size to reflect this scenario (1080 vertical with 150% scaling) and ensure we fit top-to-bottom.

This is great feedback, thank you for it.  Be on the look out for a fix to this problem.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 120536.png

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

@f14tomcat @John A We released v5.1.4.112 component package 1.0.1233 earlier this week and we hope that we've addressed your concern by allowing additional resizing of the application window and adding a scroll bar. Can you please make sure you have the latest update and see if you still experience an issue. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, H4V0C said:

@f14tomcat @John A We released v5.1.4.112 component package 1.0.1233 earlier this week and we hope that we've addressed your concern by allowing additional resizing of the application window and adding a scroll bar. Can you please make sure you have the latest update and see if

10 minutes ago, H4V0C said:

@f14tomcat @John A We released v5.1.4.112 component package 1.0.1233 earlier this week and we hope that we've addressed your concern by allowing additional resizing of the application window and adding a scroll bar. Can you please make sure you have the latest update and see if you still experience an issue. Thanks!

All ok now, thanks.

2024-05-09_17h03_59.thumb.png.0ec38a9cf47b4b95a15fa86d28222c80.png

Edited by f14tomcat

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using Malwarebytes on a PC with a 1360x768 display for several years.  It is now too big, even maximised.

You don't need logs or similar for this because this is just how your software now behaves on a monitor of this resolution - so I'm not going to provide any.  After updating it today, having not done so recently, I was initially shown a start up screen that was far too big for my monitor.  After maximising it I found that parts of the UI are still too big and don't scroll the rest into view.  Here are some screen shots:

2024-05-25startscreenafterupdate.thumb.jpg.ebcdccf6116b2d46b8d2ccca32f0ea33.jpg

2024-05-25dashboardafterupdate.thumb.jpg.c890674b494f387a79403e06bf0c456d.jpg

I've had to split this post because I was unable to edit properly, after attaching the images.

As you can see, the bottom of the dashboard is missing.  I'd hidden the task bar with auto hide, to make more room.  The rest of it can't be scrolled into view.

I see no reason why this page / panel / whatever you want to call it, can't scroll the rest into view, regardless of the size of the monitor.   Not everyone uses a high resolution screen, like whoever made this change was presumably using.  Please fix this so it can be used on a smaller screen, as it could until recently.

4 hours ago, Andy2No2 said:

I've had to split this post because I was unable to edit properly, after attaching the images.

As you can see, the bottom of the dashboard is missing.  I'd hidden the task bar with auto hide, to make more room.  The rest of it can't be scrolled into view.

I see no reason why this page / panel / whatever you want to call it, can't scroll the rest into view, regardless of the size of the monitor.   Not everyone uses a high resolution screen, like whoever made this change was presumably using.  Please fix this so it can be used on a smaller screen, as it could until recently.

Andy, at least provide the version of MBAM you are running.  Click the User symbol upper right, then About Malwarebytes.  Thanks. 

2024-05-25_12h11_52.thumb.png.66f91a95eabe4c8392ae5c6b41c1ed6e.png2024-05-25_12h11_43.png.9723efa092f9068b989f9f1aaba8a918.png

f14tomcat, as I said, I have JUST updated it today, so it's the latest version.  If you look at my screenshots you will see that I'm not able to see or click on the icons you indicate at top right because they are cut off by the fact that it is all TOO BIG for my 1360 x 768 monitor.  Those are complete, un-cropped, screenshots.

So, I don't know the version number but it is the current one.

I had automatic updates turned off for a while because Malwarebytes tends to grind my PC almost to a halt during updates, as it did earlier today when I manually asked to update it.  Before that, it fitted on my screen just fine, as it always had before.

I've had a MalwareBytes license for probably a couple of decades.  This is the first time it's been too large to use, and with no option of scrolling the rest of it into view.

Yes, it seems I can use it after setting scaling to 100%, which I find unusable for most purposes.  However, I have to log out to make that change, so I can't change it back again with the MalwareBytes window open - I'm using Windows 7 on this PC.  When I change it back, which involves logging out then back in, MalwareBytes still looks as it does in my screenshots, so is still not usable.

I'm aware that there are compatibility settings (via right clicking on the taskbar and choosing Properties) but none of them seem to apply to this problem.  There's an option to disable scaling for high DPI, but that does nothing on a display this size.

The MalwareBytes window scaling is good enough, with scaling turned off, but I can't use my PC like that.  Most things are too small for me to read without an onscreen magnifying glass.

9 minutes ago, Andy2No2 said:

The MalwareBytes window scaling is good enough, with scaling turned off, but I can't use my PC like that.  Most things are too small for me to read without an onscreen magnifying glass.

But while it was accessible you clicked the following and then just closed MB image.png.08b8039af0ffa7af314c2964588cccd7.png

Then make the computer readable then open MB, was MB useable again??

I can maximise it by using Alt+Space+X.  I then see the Restore and Close buttons, but it's as it is above.  Clicking the Restore button makes it worse in that I can no longer see the maximise button or close button, but either way, it can't be made to show the entire contents of the windows, other than by turning off scaling in Windows, which isn't an acceptable solution as it makes almost everything else too difficult to use.

I now see I can scroll the Dashboard vertically provided I move the mouse pointer to the right side of the screen first.  Maybe I could have done that before?  It's not intuitive so maybe I missed it.  There's nothing to give me the clue that I'm supposed to do that. 

The right edge of the window is still missing / cropped, and there's no way to scroll horizontally, as far as I can tell, to get it into view.  That does mean I can't get to those icons at top right.  I'm not sure what else is missing.

I see I can also scroll the Dashboard vertically with the mouse pointer on the left side of the screen, but not near the middle.  This is not how I expect software to behave in Windows so it seemed to me that it just didn't scroll at all.

• Staff

A few thoughts...

Windows 7 does not handle scaling as well as Windows 10 or Windows 11.  If that's an option for you, consider it.

I would like to know:

1. Screen resolution (horizontal x vertical)
  2. DPI settings you are using currently
  3. Monitor size - diagonal measurement.

Malwarebytes 4 did not do scaling correctly.  Moving the Windows from one panel to another - say from a laptop screen to an attached monitor - would cause the MB4 window to resize to some crazy dimension.

There maybe some workarounds available for your situation, but I need to know the items above first.  Thank you!

• Like 3