Using scare tactics to promote your paid service is not alright!

ive been running the free version of Malwarebytes for years, but lately I've started getting occasional notifications that same y something like "Unresolved security issues!" When I click the notification, I discover that it's just a gimmick to try to get me to buy a paid subscription. I strongly object to the practice of using scare tactics to get my attention! Evidently it hasn't occurred to Malwarebytes that the consumers who use a product like Malwarebytes are not idiots and may respond to this unacceptable gimmick by doing the opposite of what was intended.

I too see the notification, but since I know what it means, I simply dismiss it and go on about my business. And since I have another anti-malware utility that provides real-time protection, I'm unable to use that the premium Malwarebytes feature.

But in my opinion your classification of this as "scare tactics" is overstated. It is far more important to catch malware before it has a chance to infect your computer, so in my mind such a warning is justified. Free Malwarebytes will certainly clean things up should you be attacked, but you risk incurring significant damage between the time you became infected by a malicious attack and when you get around to running a manual scan to check.

You make a valid point; but the fact is that nothing has happened, but the Malwarebytes' notification makes users think something has happened. I, too, am now familiar with this ploy and just dismiss the notification; But I still object to the tactics Malwarebytes is using to get users to consider an upgrade. It's just plain sleazy, no matter what the benefit of upgrading might be.

P.S. Hi Al, I didn't realize that it was you I was replying to. Just wanted to add that I will even admit that I might be over-reacting considering the seriousness of the offense. But if I am, it's because I'm so sick and tired of all the shysters who are hijacking the internet just to pick our pockets. Is there no corner of this world that is still committed to simple integrity? 🙃

You could stop Malwarebytes from starting with Windows in the free version and only open it from the desktop shortcut to run the occasional scan.

After the scan right click the system tray icon and choose Quit Malwarebytes to close.

No more pop up solicitations to purchase.

3 hours ago, omalansky said:

@Porthos I'm a Mac user.Not sure how this thread got posted to the Windows forum. Possibly my error.

Now moved to the MAC sub-forum.  I see in your original post you did not mention what flavour of Malwarebytes anti malware you ere referring to.

BTW:  When a software, such as the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, gets one to purchase their software to support providing the software in a Free form, it is called Nagware.

I'm running the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on one computer. Normally, nagware asks users to upgrade to the paid version, plain and simple. That's one thing. Getting users to read the sales pitch by popping up a notification that looks like a warning is a step beyond nagging, imho.

44 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

I see in your original post you did not mention what flavour of Malwarebytes anti malware you ere referring to.

There is only one flavor available for Mac users and it's mentioned in the title to this forum "Malwarebytes for Mac". The free version simply disables the features available with a premium subscription.

• Staff

Hi friends! Reaching out to let you know that we're working on improving this experience. The Security Advisor is meant to identify issues that can be impacting your security, protection, and privacy and was 100% not intended to be a marketing gimmick. We are working on improving the overall user experience with Security Advisor to be more helpful, unbiased, and user friendly. As always, thanks for the candid feedback and your contributions to the community!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Yep.  That is why I moved the thread there after the OP stated...

Got it, but it I'm absolutely sure it did start out in this forum and was moved by somebody to Windows.

• Thanks 1