Malwarebytes Lifetime license

I am using a 32 bit Windows 7 computer. I have a lifetime license for years. I updated to v 4.5.9 on Thursday. This morning while I was using the computer, suddenly I get a malwarebytes popup that protection is turned off. I opened malwarebytes and saw that my paid version reverted to the free version. I did an update and it updated the database okay but it still shows the free version. I tried to enter my license but apparently it doesn't like that. (I have both a key and a license). I rebooted the computer but malwarebytes is still showing the free version.

I don't have the correct version of NET to run any of the tools. I stopped installing NET at v3.3 SP1.

I imaged the computer on April 24, 2022 and if I have to, I will restore the image from that date when malwarebytes was at v 4.5.8.

I'd like to know if it was a bad database definition that changed my program from a paid version to the free version.

• Like 1

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

34 minutes ago, plodr said:

I'd like to know if it was a bad database definition that changed my program from a paid version to the free version.

You would be the first to report as far as I know. Have you tried to use your key to reactivate?

It would be hard to track any issues since you can not use the support tool.

• Root Admin

Hello @plodr

One reason it could have reverted would be due to issues contacting our license server. Without being able to run our MBST support tool it will be more difficult to tell for sure but we can try. Though I will say that trying to keep an unsupported version of Windows running today is like shooting holes in the bottom of a boat and then taking it out on the lake simply because you have a roll of duct tape. Our program cannot replace and prevent all levels of potential exploits in Windows when the core OS is not up to date.

Please get me the following log

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\LOGS\MBAMSERVICE.LOG

Then get me the following set of logs from this tool

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

I won't be able to do this until tomorrow. I'm on a laptop now because I don't want to surf with MBAM not protecting me!

Yes, I tried entering my license. The license keeps saying please enter a valid license.  I have both an ID and a license because, as I said, I've had this for years. I toggled the switch that said my license came with an ID. I entered the ID in one box and the license in the other. I'm getting something about device limit reached. This ID and license is only used on one computer. I have 5 lifetime licenses all in use.

Additional information: our Windows 7 64 bit laptops are working fine and the Lifetime license appears when I look at about to get the info.

32 minutes ago, plodr said:

I won't be able to do this until tomorrow. I'm on a laptop now because I don't want to surf with MBAM not protecting me!

Yes, I tried entering my license. The license keeps saying please enter a valid license.  I have both an ID and a license because, as I said, I've had this for years. I toggled the switch that said my license came with an ID. I entered the ID in one box and the license in the other. I'm getting something about device limit reached. This ID and license is only used on one computer. I have 5 lifetime licenses all in use.

Additional information: our Windows 7 64 bit laptops are working fine and the Lifetime license appears when I look at about to get the info.

Shot in the dark here. This has happened to me on several occasions, where after entering the ID and License it would reject them. What worked for me is instead of typing them I would cut and paste them from the Malwarebytes receipt, worked every time. Very strange.

PM sent. I tried to download Fabar and wasn't able to because of a virus alert. What do I need to turn off?

digmorecrusher, I print out emails with the details then I delete the email after several years. The Malwarebytes versions were purchased in 2008 through about 2013.

I attached the log, though I do have 10 backups in there in case you need to see more.

MBAMSERVICE.LOG

Edited by plodr
attached a file

• Root Admin

We really need to get logs @plodr

The current log you attached sure looks like you're contacting our license server and its validating you as though the program is registered.

Please try the following and see if this helps you download the program. Basically if any program attempts to stop, or prevent the download look around and find a way to tell it to ignore it and download the program.

Please do the following so that we can get started and see what's going on.

The Farbar Recovery Scan Tool is a free Windows utility designed to create troubleshooting logs for your computer. These logs help our Support team to identify and resolve issues with your computer.

There are two versions of the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool available for download: 32-bit and 64-bit.
To find which operating system is installed on your computer, refer to Microsoft's article: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: Frequently asked questions

Download and launch Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

1. Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
    Do not click on any Ads.

2. Locate the file you downloaded on your computer.
    Downloaded files are often saved to the Downloads folder.

3. Double-click the downloaded file to run the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool.

DOC-1318-1.png

4. Windows protected your PC notification may appear. This notification is from the Windows Defender SmartScreen Filter which prevents unfamiliar apps from running on your PC.
    Disable smart screen ONLY if it interferes with software we may have to use:  What is SmartScreen and how can it help protect me?

a.  Click More info.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/article_attachments/360051190254/DOC-1318-2.png
         b.  Click Run anyway.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/article_attachments/360051190294/DOC-1318-3.png
  5. When the User Account Control window appears, click Yes.

image.png

6. To accept the Disclaimer of warranty, click Yes.

image.png

7. Ensure only the boxes listed below are checked

image.png

Registry  Services  Drivers
    Processes  Internet  One month
    Addition.txt

image.png

8. Disable any Antivirus software you have installed ONLY if it stops software we may use from working.
    Please remember to re-enable any Antivirus software when we are finished running scans

Click Scan. The scan may take a few minutes to complete.

image.png

9. When the scan completes, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool shows two messages:

• Scan completed. FRST.txt is saved in the same directory FRST is located.

image.png

• Addition.txt is saved in the same directory FRST is located.

image.png

• Click OK to close each message window

Please attach both of those logs on your next reply, DO NOT copy/paste the contents of the logs directly

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mmalware/monthly_2018_10/_mb_attach.jpg.dbd89b8e360d3763b3bbe33ce83d680d.jpg

Thanks

PM sent. I tried to download Fabar and wasn't able to because of a virus alert. What do I need to turn off?

digmorecrusher, I print out emails with the details then I delete the email after several years. The Malwarebytes versions were purchased in 2008 through about 2013.

• Root Admin

The Event Logs indicate some networking issues, which due to the age of your operating system is quite likely the reason. I would really highly recommend that you do install the updates for Windows 7 if you're not going to update to Windows 10 or 11

Error: (05/03/2022 01:13:03 PM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4119) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The following fatal alert was received: 70.

Error: (05/03/2022 07:51:49 AM) (Source: Schannel) (EventID: 4120) (User: NT AUTHORITY)
Description: The following fatal alert was generated: 70. The internal error state is 11.

70 - protocol_version - The protocol version the client attempted to negotiate is recognized, but not supported.

SChannel event indicates a problem with the SSL/TLS handshake and many a times depicts a number

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop or location where you ran FRST from.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Please make sure you disable any real-time antivirus or security software before running this script. Once completed, make sure you re-enable it.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system that cannot be undone.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or wherever you ran FRST from. Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

NOTE-1:  This fix will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files. It will also run a disk check on the restart to ensure disk integrity. Depending on the speed of your computer this fix may take 30 minutes or more.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

NOTE-3: As part of this fix it will also reset the network to default settings including the firewall. If you have custom firewall rules you need to save please export or save them first before running this fix.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome, and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the fix has run.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Thanks for sticking with me guys!

Okay, I downloaded my fixlist, ran it, let the computer, reboot and do a check disk and let the computer reboot again. Attached is the result

Fixlog.txt

I know it will take time to look over this so I'll look in again in about 2 hours - no hurry. I will be around tomorrow all day.

Edited by plodr
added info

• Root Admin

Looks good, 

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them

Successfully rebuilt performance counter setting from system backup store

I would highly recommend that you visit the following page and see about installing all the latest updates and security fixes for Windows 7

All that removing things and I'm at the same place I was on Saturday.

same_error.jpg

It's funny because I got a popup earlier today asking me to buy malwarebytes.

Is there a removal tool? I'm going to uninstall malwarebytes, download a clean version and see if the clean install will allow me to activate my license.

Edited by plodr
added additional info

27 minutes ago, plodr said:

It's funny because I got a popup earlier today asking me to buy malwarebytes.

1. Log in to My Account.
  2. Click the Subscriptions tab.
  3. Under Manage devices, click the trash icon for the device you want to deactivate. Or, if you don't know which one to deactivate, click Deactivate all.
  4. Then try to reactivate.

Additional info...because I'm not protected, I check for updates and I do a scan. After the scan I was presented with trying the premium version for 14 days. When I put in my email address here and click on get started

error2.jpg.beafac1d64f093b197e65a6aae216939.jpg

I got unable to contact licensing server. Perhaps that information can help you see that something is blocking my malwarebytes from getting to the licensing server.

Logged in and it wants a verification code. I got that. Now it says Available devices 0 of 1. (It is the correct ID and license info).

Do I download it again? What happens to the version that is on the computer now?

I erased the info. This is what I see

subscriptionjpg.jpg

Edited by plodr