False Positive

ozelink

Hello,

My browser guard is activated in Firefox, and when I attempt to access my web site https://www.naturesenergieshealth.com, it reports false positives for www.google-analytics.com and www.googletagmanager.com. Could you please fix this issue within malewarebytes, OR report to me what is causing this issue so I can fix the issue on my web site. Thank you for your help!

Greg Hernon
Natures Energies

If you go to the site https://www.naturesenergieshealth.com with browser guard activated, the menu on the left does not work. When browser guard is deactivated, the menu will work. If you then go to https://www.naturesenergieshealth.com/collections/fitness with browser guard activated, the pictures do not display (see attached image1.jpg). Switch off browser guard and the pictures shw properly (see attached image2.jpg). Browser guard is definately affecting the functionality of my web site. Any advice on how this can be fixed will be very much appreciated.

Greg Hernon
Natures Energies

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

A tracker can be used in multiple ways.  The way that you are using it is in need of change, because the guidance provided to you so far only works for you and has no benefit to any potential customers of yours.  A tracker can be a way of keeping track of a path that has been followed or a selection that has been made (hence the name).  That is often misused and is considered an invasion of privacy by many.  As mentioned, Browser Guard blocks trackers specifically for that reason.

Another way a tracker can be used is the way you are using it.  It is essentially a bridge tollbooth, and clicking the link pays the toll.  If the gate on the tollbooth does not rise, you can not drive across the bridge.  Your ability to conduct business should not be determined by the tracker.

For reference, the trackers blocked on your site are the most commonly blocked trackers of all, and are blocked by many programs like Browser Guard, and not just Browser Guard.

Thank you for the insight in describing the issue and how it is affecting my site. I have hired a consultant to locate the source of the problem in my google analytics and tag manager account and may post a solution here once it is fixed to help others that may not be using their analytics and tag manager in the right way which triggers issues when browser guard is activated.

From reading this, I'm not sure that you understood how we handle trackers completely.  Perhaps I am wrong, but it doesn't hurt to try using different words.  We block those (and many other) trackers at all times.  If the functionality of the code that runs your website is dependent on those trackers in any way, there will be a problem when ad blockers are used. In most cases, the complaints that people have about advertisers targeting them -- making them feel like they are being stalked -- is because of trackers.  If you are going to use a consultant, I want to make sure that you have the clearest picture possible so that any money spent is spent wisely.

• Like 1

hmmm yes I dont have the best understanding. I have put a job up on upwork but have had no applicants yet. My job is worded as follows based on what you are telling me;

"I have a web site https://www.naturesenergieshealth.com/ which runs on the shopify platform. I have had reports from many customers that when the Malewarebytes Browser Guard is activated, the web site does not run properly. The side menu does not work properly on desktop or does not work on mobile phone. Also if you go to a page such as https://www.naturesenergieshealth.com/collections/fitness, pictures do not display correctly with browser guard activated (see image1.jpg attached), whereas they do display correctly with browser guard deactivated (see image2.jpg attached). I have raised this issue at a malewarebytes forum (see https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/284149-false-positive), and the experts there are saying "A tracker can be used in multiple ways.  The way that you are using it is in need of change". I need you to have a look at my google analytics as well as my google tag manager account and make the necessary adjustments that are causing my web site to stop functioning. You will then need to describe the actions you took to fix the issue. This is a one off job."

If you think this is incorrect and the job description is incorrectly worded, I would welcome a better way of wording it as I am of little understanding of trackers.

I have a consultant that has identified the possible issue. He says "I checked the images and query you created, what I can understand from my knowledge is the tags that are using cookies settings we have to disable them and see if the website is loading correctly. And also need to check the cookie consent setting which is causing the website to be blocked by Malwarebytes."

At a glance, it sounds like he is on the right track.  You mentioned something which I think deserves mention though...I believe that functionality on a mobile device (meaning smartphone as compared to laptop computer) is beyond the scope of Browser Guard. There would be some other reason for functionality issues on a mobile device.

Gonzo - my consultant has concluded "the reason website is not working properly is because MWB Browser Guard  blocks the java script code." He says no other competitor browser guard is blocking funtionality of my web site. There seems to be no solution for solving this on our end. Are you able to make my web site exempt in a MWB update? There is nothing suspicious I am doing. Everything is standard shopify coding.

I have referred this to research management for their decision on how this should be handled.  While waiting for their findings, here is current info:

• Google Analytics is blocked by all major ad blockers (including Browser Guard), and will remain blocked
  • Google Tag Manager is blocked by three of five major ad blockers, Browser Guard being one of them.  This "mixed message" is where a decision is needed.

On a side note, I agree with your consultant that Browser Guard is blocking code which expands sidebar menus, display of product graphics and possibly other things which I did not notice, but other sites which use Google Tag Manager are not affected in the same way your site is.  It is the way Google Tag Manager is being used, not just that it is being used.  I will provide more info once that final determination is made.

Thank you Gonzo - I will wait for final determination from MWB research management on how this can be solved. It is most peculiar behaviour from my site when browser guard is activated, but I assure you I use standard shopify themes and apps with no code modifications, so would suspect there would be others affected by browser guard as well.

UPDATE: The tracker has been whitelisted, but the database update cannot occur until tomorrow morning due to a power shutdown affecting the hardware involved.  Sorry for the last minute problem.

Please note that anyone using AdBlock or uBlock Origin (competing products) will still have issues on your website.  Browser Guard users will be able to use functionality as you intended.

• Like 1

Hi Gonzo - point noted! Thank you for all your good help. I will test again tomorrow morning once malewarebytes has gone through an update again. Note that interestingy my site works fine with AdBlock. I haven't yet tested with uBlock but will do so in the next day or so. Hoping you have a great coming weekend!

Greg

I messed up on the timing.  The power shutdown started earlier than expected today, and it is schedule to be off until 10pm Pacific Time on Saturday.  Yours is one of two items I need to check for completion, and I will start trying early evening Saturday to see if facilities are available.  Sorry for the confusion and the delays.

• Like 1

Hi Gonzo - I checked my version of MWB and it looks like it updated 90 mins ago. I then activated MWB Browser Guard but the same issues originally described are still there (e.g., side menu does not work and pictures are no activating on some pages). See https://www.naturesenergieshealth.com/ and https://www.naturesenergieshealth.com/collections/fitness for testing with browser guard activated and browser guard deactivated. Could you please check that it was white listed, and if so why browser guard is stopping functionality in the site. Many thanks again! 

I agree with your findings and have also verified that it was whitelisted.  I am currently writing an email to find out if that tracker is being blocked at a deeper level.  I apologize for the continuing issue.  I thought it would have been resolved on Saturday, and attempts to get it resolved today have not accomplished anything...weekends being what they are.  I am writing the email now so that responsible parties can have it available for their perusal before I wake up.  As far as I am concerned, the clock is ticking and I do not like ticking clocks.  Again, apologies.