License Key is not working

Go to solution Solved by tetonbob,

Well I'm in a pickle!  I had a hard drive die on me, so I reinstalled windows.  When I redownload Malwarebytes it does not accept my licence key.  It says it's not real or something.   I have a been using this key for about 10 years because my coverage is forever.  Please could someone tell me why this is happening?  And how to fix it?  Thanks for your help.

This happens because you key is still bonded to your old system, you have to deactivate it first before use on another system.

You can do this easy by yourself by making an account on the MY Malwarebytes page, specially crafted to manage your account en keys. Make an account here; https://my.malwarebytes.com/en/login

Use your Original email address used when you did get your key. Once done you can deactivate your key here, and use it on any computer you want. If you forget this email or the email does not work anymore you have to contact the Malwarebytes Support. We here on the forum have no sight in this, and can't help you with this.

Go here in this case; https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Then make an ticket and make sure you have Proof of Purchase by hand, because they ask you for that.

Be aware that in these days, it can be after new year before you get an answer. Do not make another ticket to speed things up, your waiting time only becomes longer.

Hope this helps you, thank you.

Thanks for your insight SPDIF.  Unfortunately, I cannot remember the email addy I used when I got the key and I don't have proof of purchase (frankly it was probably 12 years ago).  Couldn't I just give them the license  key and then they could verify it?  I've recommended Malwarbytes to dozens of people, and would not feel so inclined as to continue that courtesy should I lose my lifetime account.

Well that's very unfortunate... You can understand they really want to see proof of purchase.

The key alone is no proof of-course, i can't really speak in this matter, only Malwarebytes support can help you with this I'm afraid...

I hope they find a solution for you ASAP.  In the mean time you have a fourteen days trial by installing the new Malwarebytes. So you are not unprotected.

7 hours ago, UncleVanya said:

Well I'm in a pickle!  I had a hard drive die on me, so I reinstalled windows.  When I redownload Malwarebytes it does not accept my licence key.  It says it's not real or something.   I have a been using this key for about 10 years because my coverage is forever.  Please could someone tell me why this is happening?  And how to fix it?  Thanks for your help.

This is one issue only the support desk can address.

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help Please submit only one ticket/request.

Due to the Holiday Season and most of the support staff being on vacation it could potentially take about two weeks before a support agent replies to your ticket.

9 hours ago, Porthos said:

This is one issue only the support desk can address.

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help Please submit only one ticket/request.

Due to the Holiday Season and most of the support staff being on vacation it could potentially take about two weeks before a support agent replies to your ticket.

Thanks Porthos, I have already sent my concerns to the support team.  Hopefully it will not take as long as you say.  But you are right;  it definately was an inopertune time to have a hard drive die on me, causing this dilemma.  I have the License key, that is all that should matter.  I've been using for 12 years, but I guess Lifetime doesn't really mean what it implies.

47 minutes ago, UncleVanya said:

I have the License key, that is all that should matter.  I've been using for 12 years, but I guess Lifetime doesn't really mean what it implies.

If you purchased it on the Malwarebytes website it can be looked up by the email address used for the purchase.

If you still have access to that email, there is a way to reset it yourself. Ask.

Anyway the people that work at Malwarebytes support are always friendly and patient when you need them. They are people with who you can talk.

They always help you with respect, if you do the same they surely will find a solution for you. +1 for the hard work they always do behind the scenes. People sometimes forget that, they have to work very hard every day for helping you. Just be a little patient, with corona they're work has doubled.

They helped me to several times with a good solution, and i thank them again for that.

4 hours ago, tetonbob said:

@UncleVanya your Support ticket has a response now.

Hi Tetonbob,

Not sure if you read this thread, so I will repeat the gist of my dilemma.  I had to reinstall windows a few weeks ago due to a unexpected hard disk meltdown.  So of course I lost everything including.  After installation in  Installed most of my software except for Malwarebytes because it would not accept my license key (which was a Lifetime pass.  I set up an account to talk to people in the forums but they were unable to help me.  They mentioned something about providing the email I had when I installed Malwarebytes, but I got the software between 14 and 12 years ago.  I had a totally different PC and setup back then and I do not remember in the slightest the email Addy I was using back then.  I used the license key without any trouble about 6 or 7 years ago when I had a similar dilemma with the PC I had at the time.  So I know that the key is correct.  Hopefully you can help me with this conundrum.  Many thanks and Happy New Year.

John

1 minute ago, UncleVanya said:

Hi Tetonbob,

Not sure if you read this thread, so I will repeat the gist of my dilemma.  I had to reinstall windows a few weeks ago due to a unexpected hard disk meltdown.  So of course I lost everything including.  After installation in  Installed most of my software except for Malwarebytes because it would not accept my license key (which was a Lifetime pass.  I set up an account to talk to people in the forums but they were unable to help me.  They mentioned something about providing the email I had when I installed Malwarebytes, but I got the software between 14 and 12 years ago.  I had a totally different PC and setup back then and I do not remember in the slightest the email Addy I was using back then.  I used the license key without any trouble about 6 or 7 years ago when I had a similar dilemma with the PC I had at the time.  So I know that the key is correct.  Hopefully you can help me with this conundrum.  Many thanks and Happy New Year.

John

Above should read:  "including Malwarebytes....After installation I installed..."   Sorry for the errors.

2 hours ago, tetonbob said:

Hi John. I'm sorry, but only the folks on the help desk can help you with a licensing issue. I just wanted to alert you that a response had gone to your ticket.

Hi tetonbob.  So what does mean.  Am I still in a que.  It's been almost three weeks.  What does that mean that "a response had gone to your ticket"?  I'm confused.  Thanks for your help.

John

1 hour ago, UncleVanya said:

What does that mean that "a response had gone to your ticket"?  I'm confused. 

It means you got an email response to your ticket. You need to respond and plead your case now. Keep responding until you are fixed up.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

• Staff
  • Solution
2 hours ago, UncleVanya said:

Hi tetonbob.  So what does mean.  Am I still in a que.  It's been almost three weeks.  What does that mean that "a response had gone to your ticket"?  I'm confused.  Thanks for your help.

John

Hi John. As @Porthos mentioned, it means there's a response in your ticket from one of our Support staff who is trying to help you with this issue. Please reply to your ticket #3691120. Thank you.

Edited by tetonbob
  • Thanks 1