New installer feedback - BillH99999

BillH99999

• Staff
9 hours ago, BillH99999 said:

I like the new installer, especially the progress indicator.  I could do without the ads.  Everything went very smoothly and no MB restart was required.

It would be nice to have the option not to install a desktop icon.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill. Thanks for trying the new installer and for your feedback.

There is an option to not create a desktop shortcut. It's accessed via the Advanced Options link on the initial installer screen.

Installer_advanced.PNG

3 hours ago, tetonbob said:

Hi Bill. Thanks for trying the new installer and for your feedback.

There is an option to not create a desktop shortcut. It's accessed via the Advanced Options link on the initial installer screen.

Installer_advanced.PNG

I missed that.  I didn't go into the advanced options.  I never have to do that with other programs.  Usually advanced options is for changing where the program is installed or maybe some options of the program itself.  I typically just use the defaults.  In my experience the option to create a desktop icon is typically not buried in advanced options.  Now I know where to look.

Thanks,
Bill

• BillH99999 changed the title to New installer feedback - BillH99999

This isn't a big deal, but I notice that in the security advisor after using the new installer, the item I had dismissed was no longer dismissed and was appearing as a problem again.  I had to dismiss the item again.

image.png.fa3e318cafbff5a211f581aab8312449.png

Is that to be expected?

Looks like all other settings were kept just fine.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

• Staff
43 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

I missed that.  I didn't go into the advanced options.  I never have to do that with other programs.  Usually advanced options is for changing where the program is installed or maybe some options of the program itself.  I typically just use the defaults.  In my experience the option to create a desktop icon is typically not buried in advanced options.  Now I know where to look.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Bill. Thanks for your reply. This is the same placement as in our current GA installer, though.

Installer1.PNG

Installer1a.PNG

• Staff
1 hour ago, BillH99999 said:

This isn't a big deal, but I notice that in the security advisor after using the new installer, the item I had dismissed was no longer dismissed and was appearing as a problem again.  I had to dismiss the item again.

image.png.fa3e318cafbff5a211f581aab8312449.png

Is that to be expected?

Looks like all other settings were kept just fine.

Thanks,

Bill

@BillH99999 thank you for the feedback. Do recall when you dismissed that alert? If it was around 30 days ago then yes, this is the current expected behavior. Another scenario that could cause this is, while monitoring for auto updates is in a dismissed state, if auto updates were temporarily turned on then back to off, then Security Advisor resumes monitoring of that item (it's no longer dismissed). The reason for that is, when a feature/item is in a dismissed state, the product assumes it's not something you are concerned with, however, once that feature is re-enabled, the product assumes that it is now something that is providing value and should therefore be monitored by Security Advisor going forward.

With all that being said, we realized this would not be the ideal customer experience so we're in the process of:

• adding dismiss functionality to more items
  • changing the logic so that dismissed items remain dismissed indefinitely (whereas today they only remain dismissed for 30 days). We are not however changing the functionality where Security Advisor resumes monitoring a dismissed item when that item is re-enabled.

9 minutes ago, H4V0C said:

@BillH99999 thank you for the feedback. Do recall when you dismissed that alert? If it was around 30 days ago then yes, this is the current expected behavior. Another scenario that could cause this is, while monitoring for auto updates is in a dismissed state, if auto updates were temporarily turned on then back to off, then Security Advisor resumes monitoring of that item (it's no longer dismissed).

@H4V0C

I can't remember when I dismissed it.  It was probably as soon as the ability to dismiss the auto update warning was added to the product.  I know I didn't turn it back on again.

I think the changes you are making will definitely correct the issue.

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by BillH99999
  • Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 9:49 AM, H4V0C said:

With all that being said, we realized this would not be the ideal customer experience so we're in the process of:

• changing the logic so that dismissed items remain dismissed indefinitely (whereas today they only remain dismissed for 30 days). We are not however changing the functionality where Security Advisor resumes monitoring a dismissed item when that item is re-enabled.

Has this been changed yet in version 4.5.0.152 component package 1.0.1535 or is it still being worked on?

Thanks.
Bill

• Staff
38 minutes ago, BillH99999 said:

Has this been changed yet in version 4.5.0.152 component package 1.0.1535 or is it still being worked on?

Thanks.
Bill

Hi Bill. The team is currently working on this. Barring any major bugs it should be available in our beta release on or around Dec 13th.