AdwCleaner won't open

notaninja

Hello all !

Had a couple of pop-unders appear while using Basilisk browser.

Downloaded adwcleaner_8.0.8.exe but won't open
Ran Malwarebytes but nothing picked up.
Ran Defender AV offline scan and it picked up Piriform PUP ccsetup570.exe, rating it as low severity
Ran mbar-1.10.3.1001.exe nothing picked up.
AdwCleaner still won't open.

Have mb-support-1.8.0.848.exe downloaded and ready to go but thought I'd better open a ticket first to make sure I'm doing things right first.
Win10 Pro 20H2 19042.685 all updates, along with Intel driver updater, Malwarebytes up to date.

thanks in advance for any help!

NAN

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the AdwCleaner Help forum.
In order to help us assist you to resolve your issue, please post or attach your latest AdwCleaner log files with your post. https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039021593

Someone will reply shortly, but in the meantime here are a few resources which may help resolve your issue:

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

notify me.jpeg

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

mbst_get_started.jpg

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

Just now, notaninja said:

Oh duh, sorry - yes tried that too after disabling folder controls (yesterday and again just now as requested) same result - it pops up the UAC yes/no screen but then nothing else happens.

I am going to ask @AdvancedSetup to move you to the Malware removal section to further diagnose your issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, rcprimak said:

WHY did it work? Is the poste file different from the currently posted dowload for thwe current version of ADWCleaner?

Every once in a while someone is unable to decode and extract the main AdwCleaner - so for those rare cases they made this extracted installer.

21 minutes ago, rcprimak said:

Was there a bad update posted? 

No. It is just a rare issue.

• Like 1

No. It is just a rare issue.

I'm not so sure it's rare. Windows 10 20H2 may have a lot of users experiencing this bug. You (Malwarebytes) should consider testing and issuing a bugfix update if needed. I do have Windows Protected Folders enabled and Smart Screen Filter, which may prevent some downloaded programs from being decompressed or launched until they are unblocked somehow in Windows or Windows Defender. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

So far we've not been able to duplicate the issue in-house. Tens' of thousands of users use the program weekly without an issue but there some systems that will not extract the file to run it. I just downloaded the latest version myself and it runs as expected on both a physical computer and a virtual computer.

The latest version can be downloaded from here

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

On 1/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, rcprimak said:

I do have Windows Protected Folders enabled and Smart Screen Filter, which may prevent some downloaded programs from being decompressed or launched until they are unblocked somehow in Windows or Windows Defender. 

Protected Folders/Controlled Folder Access is likely the cause of the issue.  This feature is not enabled by default in Windows 10 and must be enabled manually to be used.  If a folder is locked from being written to which is used for extracting files, any self-extracting tool like ADWCleaner will fail to run; there is likely nothing to be done by the Developers to work around this issue and will probably be necessary to either disable Controlled Folder Access prior to launching ADWCleaner, or to use the pre-extracted version provided in the link above.

6 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Not so sure. I had one user disable that and it did not correct the issue. We're still trying to figure out the root cause.

I was referring specifically to the user above that mentioned that Controlled Folder Access was enabled.  Other possible causes of the same issue could be anything from disk corruption to permissions so there are possibly many potential causes of the same symptoms.

I am happy to report that the new patched version of AdwCleaner works in Windows 10 20H2 (Pro, Admin Account) without disabling Protected Folders or making any other firewall or security changes. I have been informed that there was a bug in the utility used to compress the .exe, and this was fixed.  Than ks to the folks who made this fix! 

• Like 1