IRC needed

Greetings,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be certain to pass it on to the team for consideration.  Would it have to be strictly IRC, or would something like a Discord server work?

Also, while I have no say in the matter, I do know that it is company policy never to allow the sharing of samples with anyone not vetted to be responsible with them without risk of infecting their systems.  This is why access to samples is restricted in the Research areas of the forums where samples are submitted (only authorized groups are allowed to download attachments in that area, and links are generally submitted as text attachments rather than posted publicly to prevent visitors from accidentally infecting themselves).  This means that if any sample sharing were allowed, it would likely be within a server/channel restricted to authorized groups only, which would include the Malware Hunters who are forum volunteers who provide large numbers of good, live samples to Research over time and are eventually given that status.  Such a server would not be used for providing samples and links to live malware to anyone who wants them.

3 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be certain to pass it on to the team for consideration.  Would it have to be strictly IRC, or would something like a Discord server work?

Also, while I have no say in the matter, I do know that it is company policy never to allow the sharing of samples with anyone not vetted to be responsible with them without risk of infecting their systems.  This is why access to samples is restricted in the Research areas of the forums where samples are submitted (only authorized groups are allowed to download attachments in that area, and links are generally submitted as text attachments rather than posted publicly to prevent visitors from accidentally infecting themselves).  This means that if any sample sharing were allowed, it would likely be within a server/channel restricted to authorized groups only, which would include the Malware Hunters who are forum volunteers who provide large numbers of good, live samples to Research over time and are eventually given that status.  Such a server would not be used for providing samples and links to live malware to anyone who wants them.

you people decide which one better. just need a chatroom where people can ask suggestion for things and submit urls and samples of malware to authorized committee. the risk you stated was in my head so keep separate channel with committee for reviewing malware and restrict posting samples and urls in general channel. redirect all who want to submit malwares to the committee channel

That is what this Web Forum is for.

Product support, product information and updates, product assistance, communication with staff on an overarching level, software suggestions, software and Web Forum feedback and sample/URL submissions.  All being provided using standard Web Browsing software.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

Just now, David H. Lipman said:

That is what this Web Forum is for.

Product support, product information and updates, product assistance, communication with staff on an overarching level, software suggestions, software and Web Forum feedback and sample/URL submissions.  All be used by standard Web Browsing software.

forum feels more hassle to me than chat. alot of people would want to get suggestion from people without the hassle of signup, login and posting. irc needed is how i see it

I would prefer Usenet but that requires NNTP compliant software and Google has destroyed Usenet. 

Web Forums use the de facto HTTPS protocol and they are extremely well supported on all platforms using common Web Browsers bringing the ability to support a vast majority of Internet users with ease of access.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

Hello @MussharrafHossenShoikot:

Even with costly investments on Malwarebytes part, IRC would still be rife for abuse.

IMHO Dave is right about this forum.  As costly and frustrating as this forum has been, and still can be, the addition of Malwarebytes IRC is "a bridge too far".

If you have comments or questions, open a topic here.  In time, the best knowledge will be provided and historic and searchable records are created.

BTW, are you familiar with https://support.malwarebytes.com/ ?

My two cents...

6 minutes ago, MussharrafHossenShoikot said:

@1PW it is a choice between spam abuse vs allowing people to interact and get help without the hassles of signup and login

A good majority of "help" needed requires interaction like logs and scripts to fix issues. This can not be achieved in a chat.

If one does not wish to use this forum they can submit a support ticket and get in line with other users. https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

• Root Admin

We do support Twitter and Facebook - both are valid sources of contact as well. It really depends on what you're wanting to achieve.

The best open but moderated venue is the forum here. For more one-on-one privacy the Helpdesk via email is the best option. For general commenting and limited support there is Twitter and Facebook

IRC in the past was also heavily abused by bots to spam channels.

As @exile360 said, he will submit your idea but based on current demand I would not expect the company to support it at this time.

Thank you