[ RESOLVED ] Blue screen after updating Malwarebytes

9 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Did you write down all the STOP code description ?

The only information it shows is "dpc watchdog violations"

10 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Is Windows back in normal mode ?

Currently yes

14 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Did you do anything with Malwarebytes after that ?

Deactivate ransomware protection modules and web protection.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks.  I saw your last reply.  At least now, you have some protection with Malwarebytes.   well done.

Is this a TOSHIBA machine ?   Let me know at some point the brand-name manufacturer of this machine.

In any event, check with the support website for that manufacturer, looking to see if they have for your model  a newer BIOS that is dated after October of 2014.   This machine has a BIOS from 2014  & it is a BIOS made by INSYDE   for your computer-maker.

Having the latest BIOS can be a big help.

The seeming Windows crash events  ( BSOD)  can just be from a multi-layer of issues.

Maybe because this machine had had AVG antivirus  & now having AVAST.

A lot of antivirus programs do not cleanly & completely remove all their traces.

AVAST itself may be somehow making things more involved  /  ie,  potential conflicts.

Also, this Windows may have had or has   failed MS Windows Updates.

I would like to have a fresh reports from FRST64 tool which you already have on this pc.

I also would like a second other report.

Look on the Downloads folder.  If you see a program-file named FRSTENGLISH   then we will use that.

Otherwise, locate the FRST64.exe  on that folder & then do a RIGHT-click & choose RENAME

and rename it to

FRSTENGLISH.exe

That is so the events & information are shown in English for my benefit so I can better see about the system events.

[   2   ]

Run report with FRSTenglish

Right-click on FRSTENGLISH and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

_Windows 8 or 10 users will be prompted about Windows *SmartScreen protection* - click line More info information on that screen and click button Run anyway on next screen._

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2  logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt 
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

[    3   ]

I also would appreciate this other report.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Reply YES when prompted by Windows to Allow the program to run.

Reply YES when prompted by the tool to proceed.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result ( MTB.txt ). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Thank you for understanding & patience.

Just also know I am a volunteer here.  I do not work for Malwarebytes.  I am not online all the time.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Thanks for your help but it is worth mentioning that I have done tests in the following way, deactivating one by one and leaving all the other modules active.

First, I disabled the web protection module, the result a BSOD.

Second, I disabled the malware protection module, the result being a BSOD.

Third, I disabled the rasomware protection module, the result without BSOD.

Fourth, I disabled the exploit protection module, the result a BSOD.

Currently my pc has not presented BSOD for more than twenty minutes and that is great.

My conclusion is that there is some kind of problem or conflict with protection against rasomware at the moment.

36 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Is this a TOSHIBA machine ? 

Exactly.

39 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Maybe because this machine had had AVG antivirus  & now having AVAST.

Since I bought this pc, I only have Avast. In fact it is the only antivirus that I installed.

Well, I attached the requested records. I hope they are of great help.Addition.txtFRST.txtMTB.txt

Thank you very much for the reports.   I will dig thru them  and then will have a first new steps for you.

SIMPLY by the way

DPC is short for Deferred Procedure Call. Watchdog refers to the bug checker, which can monitor or track your Windows programs and the PC performance.

The DPC watchdog violation blue screen error can be triggered by many different  reasons.

I have read elsewhere that some can be due to old display drivers  ( like ones for Nvidia for example.)

Some others due to outdated drivers like you mentioned that someone pointed out to you  ( disc driver ).

In the meantime, till we get this rig in better shape, you can set the Malwarebytes to NOT start with Windows startup.

Start Malwarebytes, click Settings.   click SECURITY tab

scroll and find the line for "Windows Startup".   on that next line, click the choice to the far left   ( Off position)

Then exit the program.

I will have a reply for you.   Allow me an hour or so.   There is no rush on your part.

Don't worry, take the time that is necessary.

In the meantime, I'm going to do one more test. I suspect that there may be some kind of conflict between Avast's rasomware protection along with Malwarebytes' rasomware protection when they are active. I'll let you know in a little while.

Hi.    I have pored over the FRST reports.

I have a custom fix script for this machine.  Consider this like a step to get this system's health reclamation by removing things that cause conflicts, things that are just not needed.

There are 3 tasks for "driver booster"  that are not needed.   There are 2 so-called "tuneup" tasks, one from avg, one from avast, that are not needed.  All these are potential sources of conflicts, especially the driver booster.

NOTE-1:  This script will run a scan to check that all Microsoft operating system files are valid and not corrupt and attempt to correct any invalid files.

NOTE-2: As part of this fix all temporary files will be removed. If you have any open web pages that have not been bookmarked please make sure you bookmark them now as all open applications will be automatically closed. Also, make sure you know the passwords for all websites as cookies will also be removed. The use of an external password manager is highly recommended instead of using your browser to store passwords.

The following directories are emptied:

• Windows Temp
  • Users Temp folders
  • Edge, IE, FF, Chrome and Opera caches, HTML5 storages, Cookies and History
  • Recently opened files cache
  • Flash Player cache
  • Java cache
  • Steam HTML cache
  • Explorer thumbnail and icon cache
  • BITS transfer queue (qmgr*.dat files)
  • Recycle Bin

Important: items are permanently deleted. They are not moved to quarantine. If you have any questions or concerns please ask before running this fix.

The system will be rebooted after the script has run.

This custom script is for  CristianM  only / for this machine only.

Close and save any open work files before starting this procedure. 

I am sending a    custom Fix script which is going to be used by the FRSTENGLISH tool. They will both work together as a pair.

Please RIGHT-click the (attached file named) FIXLIST and select SAVE  link AS and save it directly ( as is) to the  Downloads  folder

The tool named FRSTENGLISH.exe   tool    is already on the Downloads folder
Start the Windows Explorer and then, to the Downloads folder.

RIGHT click on  FRSTENGLISH    and select RUN as Administrator and allow it to proceed.  Reply YES when prompted to allow to run.
  to run the tool. If the tool warns you the version is outdated, please download and run the updated version.
IF Windows prompts you about running this, select YES to allow it to proceed.

IF you get a block message from Windows about this tool......
click line More info information on that screen
and click button Run anyway on next screen.

on the FRST window:
Click the Fix button just once, and wait.

frst-fix.jpg.f6a25291b39a03d418acc9a3b7136900.jpg

PLEASE have lots and lots of patience when this starts. You will see a green progress bar start. Lots of patience. This run here should be fairly quick.
If you receive a message that a reboot is required, please make sure you allow it to restart normally.
The tool will complete its run after restart.
When finished, the tool will make a log ( Fixlog.txt) in the same location from where it was run.

Please attach the FIXLOG.txt with your next reply later, at your next opportunity   

Please know this will do a Windows Restart.   Just let it do its thing.  

Fixlist.txt

Well, the Malwarebytes conflict along with Avast seems to be that it is not part of the problem. I did a couple of tests:

1) I disabled Malwarebytes' rasomware protection and leaving Avast's active, the result: There is no BSOD.

2) I disabled Avast rasomware protection and leaving Malwarebytes active, the result: There is a BSOD.

I let you know in case it helps.

A greeting.

9 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thanks.  I saw your last reply.  At least now, you have some protection with Malwarebytes.   well done.

Is this a TOSHIBA machine ?   Let me know at some point the brand-name manufacturer of this machine.

In any event, check with the support website for that manufacturer, looking to see if they have for your model  a newer BIOS that is dated after October of 2014.   This machine has a BIOS from 2014  & it is a BIOS made by INSYDE   for your computer-maker.

Having the latest BIOS can be a big help.

Hopefully this vid could be of some assistance on this advice Maurice as provided.

Hi.   As to your very last post with the Toshiba driver download how-to,  Did you do a run to see if Toshiba had any newer drivers for your Model ?

and do they Have a newer BIOS  for the Model ?

As to having Avast software,  Did you buy a premium license for it ?   Because if not, I ( if this were my system) I would uninstall the Avast,  then run the cleanup tool from them to remove traces of Avast.

I would stick with the Windows'  Windows Defender antivirus   and I would also get the machine O.S.  upgraded to Windows 10   ( it is free to get from Microsoft).

[  Avast antivirus is known for putting in too many hooks into the system.  ]

I do firmly think that, you ought to disable Avast  ( all of it) as a separate test,  and then turn on The Malwarebytes for Windows along with all of its real-time protections,  and then just see if then Windows does not have any "crash" / a.k.a.  Stop code abort.

But there again, the operating system is still Windows 8.1.   Microsoft says its end of "mainstream support" was on anuary 9, 2018.  Its end of "extendedf support" is January 10, 2023.

This Windows may be upgraded to Windows 10 at no cost thru a online-update at Microsoft.   That can be done later, after you have checked with Toshiba about BIOS and drivers.

The Windows System File Checker ( SFC) found no issue.  That is a good thing.

The Windows DISM tool found & corrected system component store.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.

Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too!

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.

At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).

Then click on Dashboard button.

Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.

NOTE:  When it comes to the section "

Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.

Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.

In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".

Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs

Thanks.  Keep me advised.

58 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

and do they Have a newer BIOS  for the Model ?

Hi,

That's right, the latest available version was published on 2016-08-24 for this pc. However I fear that if I update the bios it may cause irreversible damage to my pc.

58 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Did you buy a premium license for it ?

I have a subscription still valid for two more years. For now I would not consider uninstalling Avast from my computer.

59 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

This Windows may be upgraded to Windows 10

It is not the first time that I have considered upgrading to Windows 10, either for its more stable performance or for its security. But unfortunately when I do it there is always something that prevents me, either because of an error or simply because the assistant informs me that my PC cannot run Windows 10, which is quite strange, since the requirements they ask for are minimal. And this pc could run Windows 10 without problems. I also tried with the new Windows 10 2004 update and in the end I got an error that my "pc can't run this version." It is quite curious that I always find some kind of conflict or error when wanting to update. I still don't know the cause.

1 hour ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.

Ok, I am going to run Adwcleaner, I will send you the respective report as soon as I can if there is no problem.

Thank you very much.

That's right, the latest available version was published on 2016-08-24 for this pc. However I fear that if I update the bios it may cause irreversible damage to my pc.

Follow the manufacturer's directions to get the BIOS updated.   Modern-day BIOS updates are done in Windows  and do not have the complications od decades ago  ( the old DOS days).

Having the latest BIOS will help this machine out a tremendous LOT.

Not the least of whcih, is future Windows upgrades.

Note:  Microsoft does have a hold on certain specific configurations  ( when a Windows 10 upgrade is attempted)

See the whole list  of remaining issues

https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/157138-known-resolved-issues-windows-10-may-2020-update-version-2004-a.html

To make clearer what my minimum suggestion is about AVAST:

The suggestion is to temporarily Disable Avast & then enable all Malwarebytes  and then use the machine and do some typical stuff  & then see if the windows crashes go away.

That is the least I think that should be tested.

Lastly, it should be pointed out that the Windows Defender that comes with Windows is plenty good.   and that the one that is in Windows 10 is even stronger.

It is included in Windows for free.   ( built in )

Very Sincerely.

Hi,

Just to inform you that I have finally decided to take a step forward. I updated my pc to Windows 10 2004. It's really amazing how it works now, without BSOD and best of all, Malwarebytes works without problems. I am sorry for the inconvenience and headaches I gave you for this.

Honestly, thank you very much for your help and your time and of course also the help staff of this forum.

Best regards.

Hello.   This is very fine news.   You did very well.   I am very pleased to know that this Toshiba now has the latest Windows 10 Version 2004  ( the so-called May 2020 version).

And especially that the Malwarebytes for Windows is doing well  & is on the latest release,  Version 4.1.2.73   with Component 1.0.990

I'd suggest taking a few minutes,  and do a Backup of this system to offline backup media.

The following steps are simply just to cleanup some of the tools I had you use.

To remove the FRST  tool & its work files, do this.  Go to your Downloads folder.  Do a RIGHT-click on FRSTENGLISH.exe & select RENAME & then change it to UNINSTALL.exe .
Then run that ( double click on it)  to begin the cleanup process.

Delete the mb-support-1.6.2.802.exe 

Delete the mbst-grab-results.zip   on the Desktop

Adwcleaner you may keep and use as needed or desired, on-demand to check for adwares.

Backup is your best friend.  Keep backups of your system on a regular basis to offline storage & keep those safe. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/136226-backup-software/

Stay safe.  I wish you all the best.   😎

Sincerely,

Maurice