[ RESOLVED ] Blue screen after updating Malwarebytes

Just as an added note:   If it becomes necessary to use the support tool,  this Windows 8.1  system will need to get the latest .Net Framework from Microsoft first.

It does not currently have a .Net Framework   ( that is likely why the last try for mbst failed).

Download link for .Net Framework 4.8     https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited)

Hi @CristianM,

After you've clean reinstalled, please let us know if you continue to experience the BSOD.

An Avast driver is implicated in one of the minidumps you provided. Please do consider temporarily uninstalling Avast and check if the BSOD persists or not. This is likely a conflict between Web Protection in Malwarebytes and Avast.

Edited by LiquidTension

Currently my pc is running Avast along with Malwarebytes (4.1.0.56 - 1.0.931) active. I think reinstalling made the problem go away. I hope so, however I will keep you informed if anything happens again.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Again informing you that I have returned to present locks on my pc. So I did what worked for me before (uninstall and install) but unfortunately this time it didn't work. I currently have Malwarebytes (4.1.0.56 - 1.0.931) I still do not understand why I did not have bugs in previous days. For now, I have disabled Malwarebytes and everything in order so far. Still I would like it to work as expected. Your help please.

Addition.txt FRST.txt 061020-26046-01.dmp 061020-27203-01.dmp 061020-38562-01.dmp

Sorry to read of your issues.   One of the things I notice is that Malwarebytes for Windows is disabled.

and that   system needs to get the latest .Net Framework from Microsoft 

Download link for .Net Framework 4.8     https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework/net48

Let us know after that is done.  I'd like to see that installed so that the pc will then be able to run the Support tool.

Sorry for the delay.
Well ... Today I decided to open Malwarebytes and fortunately I have not had any blocking so far. But what I have verified is that disabling Malwarebytes for a certain time and then re-enabling it, automatically the problem is solved. I don't know exactly why this is? Maybe it could be a conflict with my antivirus, a bad configuration in Windows or who knows what? I will keep you informed if something happens.

Hi.

I suggest you consider adding exclusions of Malwarebytes  into the Avast program.  See this Malwarebytes article for the general tips

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038522974-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-antivirus-exclusions-list

See if this article is helpful on where to go into Avast

https://techblot.com/whitelist-program-avast/

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately Malwarebytes behaves more like a virus than an antimalware. About two months in trouble, now I can confirm that the culprit in all this is Malwarebytes. My pc works perfectly, I have Windows 8.1 with its updates, updated drivers and more. Everything is in perfect order, but after running Malwarebytes everything is a headache, the system does not respond and then I get a BSOD. I should mention that I visit the forum frequently to see if there is a new update and maybe there is a ray of hope this time for me. But so far there is no solution. Unfortunately version 4.1.2.73 1.0.990 doesn't work either. Just one more thing to mention, I have searched Microsoft forums and found that there are also several people who have the same problem. Coincidence? I do not think so. Honestly I give up, after being a client for several years I think that this is the end of everything.

https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/all/dpc-watchdog-violation-en-windows-881/9c810080-f030-46a3-953d-55729d8e5718

I very much regret the troubles you encountered.  We here  ( forum volunteers) can offer to guide & help you if you are amenable.

To get very current detail on this specific installation on that machine, it is preferred to get a fresh report from the Support tool

If you already have the MBST tool you do not need to re-download.

Just do the "Gather logs" procedure  and attach the ZIP file with your reply.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Sincerely,

H T H

p.s.  The link to the MS answers area is about a "Watchdog"  notice.  Is that in any way some part of the issue on your machine ?

5 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

p.s.  The link to the MS answers area is about a "Watchdog"  notice.  Is that in any way some part of the issue on your machine ?

Exactly the same BSOD. There they also mention that they installed Malwarebytes and then presented problems.

10 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I very much regret the troubles you encountered.  We here  ( forum volunteers) can offer to guide & help you if you are amenable.

To get very current detail on this specific installation on that machine, it is preferred to get a fresh report from the Support tool

If you already have the MBST tool you do not need to re-download.

Just do the "Gather logs" procedure  and attach the ZIP file with your reply.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Sincerely,

H T H

Okay, I'm going to do it.

From the topics I have seen here it seems that 8.1 is having issues that win 10 is not.

We would love to work with you to correct it for you and others if you are willing.

One of the every very important tips I would offer is to have much patience with your helpers.  To have patience so we can get this ironed out.

One of the very needed things is a report from the Support tool  / Malwarebytes Support tool.   so we can have a fresh report  and then do a new "clean uninstall >> re-install"  using that tool.

I looked over the thread post history here.  One of the things I urged was to get a MS .Net Framewiork update   before re-trying the support tool.

also, for the time being, you should be able to set Malwarebytes to NOT start at Windows startup from its Settings.

just to keep from getting any crash screens.

Q:  Are you inclined and ready to have guided help ?

or otherwise, if you have a Premium license,  then ( if you do not now have a help ticket ) create a new one at Support.

Let me know which you decide.

Sincerely.

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

From the topics I have seen here it seems that 8.1 is having issues that win 10 is not.

We would love to work with you to correct it for you and others if you are willing.

Of course, count on me to solve all this in the best possible way. Okay, I tried to install netframework from the link I left above, but I get a notice that I already have the latest version installed. However when trying to collect the logs it does not end and "Collect Logs" remains. Any ideas?

Do you mean that the MBST support tool is running ?    Let it have as much time as it takes.   however long that is.  It should be under 20 minutes at most.

Hi @CristianM    I am simply just moving your Topic-thread over to malware-help section just so you can work with me One-to-One  without any outside intrusion.

9 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hi @CristianM    I am simply just moving your Topic-thread over to malware-help section just so you can work with me One-to-One  without any outside intrusion.

It's okay

That is a real downer  & unfortunate that the machine gets that message.

BUT,  the pc does indeed have the tool  and is able to run that tool.   That is one saving grace.

Lets go slow, methodic, on purpose  and much patience, do a one time special run with that tool.

I will need for you to Close /Exit any open work files  /   and any other window-displayed that you are not absolutely needing.

That way you can have a clearer field of view.

I also want you to watch the whole process and keep a eye out for on screen prompts, especially later on during this first run. Keep a lookout for prompts during the later phases of the run. It may ask for a Restart of Windows. If so, it is critical to reply with YES 

Let's perform a clean re-installation of the latest Malwarebytes for Windows version using our Malwarebytes Support Tool. This is designed to automate the clean uninstallation of our products, along with installation and activation of Malwarebytes for Windows Premium (if applicable). 

Malwarebytes Support Tool (MBST) Clean Reinstall 

• Open your Downloads folder. 

Right-click   mb-support-1.6.2.802  & select Run as administrator    to start the tool   & reply YES to allow to go forward. 

• When prompted by Windows, reply YES to allow the tool to go forward. 

• You will be presented with a page stating, "Welcome to the Malwarebytes Support Tool!". 

• Click the Advanced Options link. This is important. Please ensure Advanced Options is clicked. 

• Click the Clean button followed by Yes to proceed. 

• Upon completion, click OK to reboot your computer. 

• After the reboot, please wait for the program to reopen.    Have a lot of patience and wait as long as it takes.

•  

• You will be presented with the option to install Malwarebytes for Windows. Click Yes. 

• Installation of Malwarebytes for Windows will commence shortly after. 

• Upon completion, Malwarebytes for Windows will automatically open. 

• Note: If installation of Malwarebytes for Windows does not commence, please let me know. 

IMMEDIATELY after the new setup has finished,  In Malwarebytes for Windows,  click the Settings  ( gear icon)   and look on the GENERAL tab.

Now click on the button "Check for Updates"    and follow all prompts.

Be very sure that it finishes updating to the latest.

Then click the tab marked ABOUT.

Look at the version number,  look at the Component number.   Do they match those shown on this image ?

mb41273_10990.jpg.cf966272cf5e1370f680ca6e417e826e.jpg

This is just a set of notes on how to go about situations where there are conflicts, or perhaps even a Windows crash  ( B S O D  ).

For the latter, we first insure to JOT down on paper the STOP code description shown on screen.   Write it on paper document.

Then we power off the machine /  wait one minute / power back on and see   about going into SAFE mode.

In Windows Safe mode,  I can lead you to making adjustments.

See   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261912-general-notes-on-windows-recovery-media/?do=findComment&comment=1395499.

There are ( if it is necessary)   ways to selectively turn off either or both of the Ransomware Protection & or the Web protection to Off  so that it could help to alleviate things.

Granted those are not for a permanent solution.  But less drastic than a complete uninstall.    ( with the uninstall, obviously, your machine loses the real-time protection).

At minimum, you may keep some  Malware protection.  I do not know whether or not you are aware:   The notification area blue-icon for Malwarebytes has right-click options.

You can selectively turn off one or more of the Protections.   You could also do a EXIT out of the program  ( by clicking Quit Malwarebytes option)

Please see the Malwarebytes Support article  https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038524254-Quit-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-Premium-services

The "right-click" options are shown on the 2nd image of that article.

One also needs to keep in mind, that those protections are typically controlled on the main window of the Malwarebytes for Windows program.

Thanks for your help,

Ok, I did a clean installation and later I installed the latest version (4.1.2.73 1.0.990) following the mentioned steps. Unfortunately the same BSOD happened after a while. It is worth mentioning that I did not use the pc in that course. Blocks just happen without warning.

Perhaps this is very helpful, but a user of this forum let me know that he also had this problem about a month ago. I am attaching the message for more details:

"I'm also a Windows 8.1 User that got the watchdog BSOD on June 27th. A MB support tech had me reinstall the Standard SATA AHCI Controller Driver and Update my BIOS. I haven't seen the Watchdog BSOD since doing those two things."

On the last message about hardware driver,  I need to leave that in your court.

Now, back to the main issue-at-hand

Did you write down all the STOP code description ?

Is Windows back in normal mode ?

Did you do anything with Malwarebytes after that ?

I am going to re-copy  my list of "survival tips " /  we may also call them  early-on remediation mechanisms.

In Windows Safe mode / or Safe mode with Networking,  I can lead you to making adjustments.

See   https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261912-general-notes-on-windows-recovery-media/?do=findComment&comment=1395499.

There are ( if it is necessary)   ways to selectively turn off either or both of the Ransomware Protection & or the Web protection to Off  so that it could help to alleviate things.

Granted those are not for a permanent solution.  But less drastic than a complete uninstall.    ( with the uninstall, obviously, your machine loses the real-time protection).

At minimum, you may keep some  Malware protection.  I do not know whether or not you are aware:   The notification area blue-icon for Malwarebytes has right-click options.

You can selectively turn off one or more of the Protections.   You could also do a EXIT out of the program  ( by clicking Quit Malwarebytes option)

Please see the Malwarebytes Support article  https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038524254-Quit-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-Premium-services

The "right-click" options are shown on the 2nd image of that article.

One also needs to keep in mind, that those protections are typically controlled on the main window of the Malwarebytes for Windows program.