[ RESOLVED ] MalwareBytes 4.1.056 not compatible with Windows 10 2004

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

Hi.

I did see your last post  and have added onto ( moved)  to your original Topic here.

I regret to read this news.   You do say the program is not on the Beta.

Just so you know,  I have had good luck with others who did go with the Beta 4.1.1.71

Edited by Maurice Naggar

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, BertRAMAerts said:

disable Ransomware Protection and my laptop and desktop work fine now.

It sounds like Ransomware Protection is analyzing the behavior and that's likely what is causing the issues.  Ransomware Protection is more reactive than proactive in that it analyzes the behavior of processes and threads in memory after they are already running to look for possible ransomware behavior (such as deleting backups, attempting to encrypt files etc.)

In other words it does not kick in until it sees ransomware start its job. The other 3 protections are the most important in preventing ransomware.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep all Protections enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

• AdvancedSetup changed the title to MalwareBytes 4.1.056 not compatible with Windows 10 2004

Bert,

What Malwarebytes version is the pc now on ?

As to the Windows.old folder, that is a file that is created on occasion of a Windows version Upgrade;  and is a mechanism that allows  ( if desired) for the pc-owner to revert back to the old Windows version.   Best to wait a few days into the future,  when you are sure you do not want to go back to old Windows Build.    Then you can run a cleanup run with CLEANMGR applet to gain back the space.

Also see  https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4028075/windows-delete-your-previous-version-of-windows

Hi Maurice,

I have let Windows 10 clean up the previous windows installation folder.

I am still running MalwareBytes 4.1.0.56 (with the latest components available).
Still with ransomware protection disabled.
I will keep it like that until I read on this forum that the issues are solved by MalwareBytes.

Kind regards,

Bert

55 minutes ago, BertRAMAerts said:

With below versions everything seems stable again:

1977169001_MBv4_1_0_56BertRAMAertsAboutVersionNumbers09Jun2020.png.32b7874b22d6028f22e3f6f8a4f7f7f6.png

Hi BertRAMAerts:

Is Malwarebytes Premium v4.1.0.56-1.0.931 working correctly with Win 10  Version 2004 with Ransomware Protection enabled, or do you still have Ransomware Protection disabled? Your image from today looks like the same product / component package you were using  <here> on 01-Jun-2020, but with a newer v1.0.25268 update package (a.k.a. malware definitions database).
-------------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.836 * Firefox ESR v68.9.0 * Windows Defender v4.18.2005.5 * Malwarebytes Free v3.8.3

Hi Bert.

Seems this machine is doing much better.  I looked at the posts on this case & there is not a one that has the support-tool-report zip file.  The history logs can still be useful.

So, when you get to a good pause point,  lets collect a report from this machine.

run the Support tool report.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

Other question:  Is the host machine just only on WIFI connection ?

I do see that Windows is up-to-date   at  Windows 10 (Build 19041.329)

I do notice that Malwarebytes is at Version 4.1.0.56.   I highly recommend that you get it to the beta 4.1.1.71

That is the version I am on.   I would like for your setup to be on it.  It has fixes and enhancements.

To get the latest Beta do this.

In Malwarebytes,  click Settings icon & then on the General tab

Look for the section "Beta updates"   and on that line, click it all the way to the right.

image.png.b8b7de813d57cfbf0f400b0eff147653.png

Malwarebytes  for Windows Beta version 4.1.1.71  with Component update 1.0.946  was announced & made available Thursday June 4.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257042-malwarebytes-41-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1385921

image.png.0e86cf9231579210a0738415ad5220fc.png

The other suggestion I have is to adjust the start time-of-day for the auto Scheduled Scan in Malwarebytes.

Yours is set for 02:19  AM    which makes it likely to trigger very early in the processes of when Windows starts up.

I would highly urge you to change that to something like 08:30  AM local   ( as long as it is something like 10 or more minutes beyond the usual Windows start).

[  I actually set mine for a scan in the evening ].

Hi Bert.   I have 3 posts above this  ^^^   so be sure you do not over-look.

I noticed the following events logged by Windows about Windows Defender.    Are you running manual  on-demand scans with Windows Defender antivirus ?

Windows Defender:
===================================
Date: 2020-06-11 09:02:04.4710000Z
Description: 
Scan van Microsoft Defender Antivirus is gestopt voordat deze was voltooid.
Scan-id: {54A70875-72E3-41DB-9479-7BEDF5A949AB}
Type scan: Antimalware
Scanparameters: Snelle scan
Gebruiker: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Date: 2020-06-11 08:50:47.1560000Z
Description: 
Scan-id: {17DF8FB5-2AB6-42A9-A44D-D343FB8A3D70}

Date: 2020-06-11 08:13:15.7600000Z
Description: 
Scan-id: {E6EE5CF7-8F15-4294-A71B-94F450CB8EDD}

Hi Maurice,

My desktop is on a wired ethernet connection, no wifi.
OK, I've allowed beta MWB: now the versions are : 4.1.1.71 / 1.0.25376 / 1.0.946
I changed the daily scan to 21h00 and indeed I think on every boot in the morning, MWB was scanning, making the PC slow. I don't know why it was 02h19...
I never run Windows Defender manually.

Kind regards,

Bert

OK !   I am very glad to see this machine on version 4.1.1.71

Unfortunately,  the 2 AM selection for the scheduled scan is the default.  I am not at all a fan of that.   Good to know you have adjusted that !

I expect this machine ought to do better at this point.

On the Windows Defender scans ...lets have you take a look to review what the Scheduled Windows Tasks  may or may not show for Windows Defender.

Using the “Windows Key“ + “R” to open run and type

taskschd.msc

and tap Enter-key.      This will open Task Scheduler.

When you get that screen,  look down under "Active Tasks".   Position the mouse on the scroll bar at the right side of that pane.

Scroll down   & just see what is there for "Windows Defender".

OK.   I do believe it has related tasks ......somewhere.    Lets not fret too much at this time.

I just would like to see your system do better.   Keep me advised.   I think you had told me that you disabled a couple of real-time protections.  like   web and ransomware protection.

Lets try just turning on the web protection  & let it be enabled.   Lets see if it does better  this afternoon  & into the evening.

i.e.  the principle being to test one .

My desktop is still doing fine with MWB beta edition.

My laptop, that I use once a week for a few hours in native Windows 10 to make a backup with Acronis True Image, was behaving bad this morning. Applications were hanging. So also there I moved to MWB beta and rebooted. Everything seemed OK. But I use my laptop 99% of the time in native Ubuntu 20.04. And there I use VMwarePlayer with Windows 10 2004 as guest OS for some Windows applications. There MWB official is running fine. I don't see what the difference is between native Windows on laptop and desktop versus virtual guest OS...