Real time protection

Hello @juninhovaladares:

Thank you for the valuable screenshots.

Please carefully adhere to the procedures in treed's stickie - How to uninstall Malwarebytes

After the clean reinstall of Malwarebytes for Mac, please open the Malwarebytes GUI and confirm:

1. The correct activation state of your premium license. (Select the main GUI "My Account" button.)
  2. The correct activation state of both Real-Time Protection features.
  3. If the above is now satisfactory, please run a manual scan as a brief functional check.

Please reply to your topic with the state of the clean reinstall of Malwarebytes for Mac.

Thank you.

The installation article https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2634   from step 14 onwards provides instructions on how to install extension in macOS.

Full disk access (FDA) is only required for macOS Catalina which our program dashboard auto recognize the OS  and ask our user to follow article https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-3477

• Staff

Hi @juninhovaladares,

The error window points to KB > https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2632 which means

1. The directory/Library/StagedExtensions/ permission is not standard.

2.  Kextpolicy is corrupted

Did you restore system backup via time machine or any third-party application after installing macOS Catalina?

I can confirm the issue with the help of our support tool and for that, provide us a system report created with the help of below article  (please don't post the zip file here)
Instead,  log a support ticket with help of below link and attach the file with the email
If you are having difficulty in creating ticket from our web form, simply write an email to support@malwarebytes.com
You will receive an auto-reply from us including a support ticket number, please give me the ticket number.

Edited by adas

1 hour ago, adas said:

Hi @juninhovaladares @Richardpe

Please check my post  #6  and provide us the requested information.

Thanks.

I have emailed the file. I did a clean Catalina install onto a newly formatted disk and then a restore (transfer) data from Time-machine. This didn't restore all files and data though. The Mac works fine but, for example, didn't restore my Mail and the Accounts correctly and I had to do this manually. As far as I could see Catalina creates two volumes (Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD—Data). 

The staff cannot help you if you won't submit the information. As mentioned, it should not be posted here, rather you need to log a support ticket with help of below link and attach the file with the email

If you are having difficulty in creating ticket from our web form, simply write an email to support@malwarebytes.com

You will receive an auto-reply from us including a support ticket number, please give me the ticket number.

This is a common approach used by every software company's troubleshooting in the world to protect your privacy. You may also wish to read their Privacy Policy by clicking the link at the bottom of this and every page on the site.

You should give the staff time to respond to your submission. They have lots of other duties to perform during their day. I didn't notice the support ticket number requested posted here.

• Staff
23 hours ago, Richardpe said:

well I guess I am deleting Malware Bytes. Been nice knowing you.

This is likely due to an issue related to a bug in Catalina relating to incorrect settings on the folder at /Library/StagedExtensions/. (I can't say for sure, since I have no idea whether the requested information was actually received by anyone here, who it was received by, or what you have submitted.) We're still investigating possible solutions, and have been talking to Apple about it. Supposedly, this bug is fixed in the macOS Catalina supplemental update that was released on Monday, but also apparently that update does not fix the problem on already-affected machines.

So far, we believe that the easiest solution is still to reinstall your system, which should fix the damaged folder. Since that folder, and the required settings, cannot be changed directly by the user or by any third-party software, our hands are tied when it comes to other solutions. Be aware that this issue will affect most other security software as well, so deleting Malwarebytes and installing something else is not likely to be a solution.

• Staff
7 hours ago, Richardpe said:

This problem BEGAN after I had done a clean install. I did it twice. Restore/transfer from backup missed out a lot of important settings and files/apps.

I can't do it again.

I didn't say you need to do a clean install. Just install macOS right over your existing installation, and it should repair the damage to your system that is causing the problem. Be aware that restoring the entire system from a third-party backup is one theoretical way for this folder to get damaged.

I did a clean install because installing the macOS over the top killed my Mac. Catalina creates two HD's—a volume and a sub volume. It fried the Mac installing over the top and the only way to save it was a clean install in recovery mode. After this you have to use backup data to get back to a similar Mac as to the working one. There's no way I can risk that happening again.

59 minutes ago, Richardpe said:

I did a clean install because installing the macOS over the top killed my Mac.

That’s not at all normal. I’ve never observed it my self nor have any of the users I correspond to daily having done so hundreds of times. There is something wrong with your Mac and you need to get Apple’s help diagnosing it, either at a Genius Bar or a certified Apple technician. Sounds like a failing drive, to me, but that’s just a guess. You can run Diagnostics for yourself, but that often misses issues that Apple tests is better able to find.