Windows 7 - can't run malwarebytes, can't download anything

SusanQJ

I've had malwarebytes on my WIndows 7 laptop for years, but haven't run it in maybe 3-6 months.  

A couple of weeks ago I noticed that I couldn't download attached files in my webmail, and then I realized I couldn't download anything from the internet.  Also the computer is verrrry slow to shut down, like 20-40 minutes, except every now & then it shuts right down (a minute or less).

Someone suggested I might have a virus, so I clicked on Malwarebytes, and after a minute or two I got a message, image attached:
Unable to start
Unable to connect the Service

I ran Microsoft Security Essentials virus scan, which took several days to complete, didn't find any problems.  Also ran Disk Cleanup and Defrag.  Still the same issue.

I should be able to download a new copy of malwarebytes on a different computer, put it on a flash drive and then copy it to the problem computer, but neither of my other 2 computers run Windows 7 (XP and 10), so didn't want to just start bumbling around.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.  

Susan J

Malwarebytes - unable to start msg.JPG

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven’t already done so, please run the Malwarebytes Support Tool and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
  3. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  4. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  5. You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"
  6. Click the Advanced tab on the left column

mbst_get_started.jpg

7. Click the Gather Logs button

mbst_advanced_gather_logs.jpg

8. A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

mbst_getting_logs.jpg

9. Upon completion, a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be found on your Desktop. Click OK

mbst_log_saved_desktop.jpg

10. Please attach the file in your next reply. Before submitting your reply, be sure to enable "Notify me of replies" like so:

notify me.jpeg  

Click "Reveal Hidden Contents" below for details on how to attach a file:

Spoiler

To save attachments, please click the link as shown below. You can click and drag the files to this bar or you can click the choose files, then browse to where your files are located, select them and click the Open button.

mb_attach.jpg.220985d559e943927cbe3c078b

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

Greetings,

Please do the following so that we may take a closer look at what might be going on with your system:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool (you may download it using a different system and copy it to a flash drive if necessary)
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Gather Logs button, and once it completes, attach the zip file it creates on your desktop to your next reply

Thanks

Hi Susan,

For sure run the report  ( as suggested above by Exile360 ).

This is a suggestion due to your computer's having MS Security Essentials.

this pc has Microsoft Security Essentials.

• Open the Microsoft Security Essentials
  • Click Settings
  • Click Excluded files and locations
  • Enter C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes into the text field and click Add

• Enter C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes into the text field and click Add
  • Enter C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys into the text field and click Add
  • Repeat for the following files:
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamchameleon.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\farflt.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys      (64-bit)
    •  
  • Click Excluded processes

• Enter C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe into the text field and click Add
  • Repeat for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • Click Save changes to finish
  • If prompted, consent to User Account Control by clicking Yes

When done, close the window. Then do a Windows Restart from the Start menu.

Just by the way, the setup program for Malwarebytes can be saved to a USB removable media and taken to another machine as long as the machines run Windows 7, 8, or 10.

Windows XP  and Vista use a different setup version.   But if you follow the install guide for your XP system, you will do fine.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1141

OK - I downloaded the Support Tool to another computer and transferred it to the problem Windows 7 computer on a flash drive. 

Ran the Support Tool and got the Grab file as expected.

I couldn't open this support forum on the problem machine - it acts like I have the wrong logon or password, even though I can log on just fine on 2 other computers - anyway I put the Grab file on a flash drive and am going to attach it to this post.

I have to go do some other stuff, but will attempt to follow the Microsoft Security Essentials instructions from Maurice, later today.  I'm not clear on the purpose, though - to exclude the Malwarebytes files from Security Essentials scan??  Like, maybe Security Essentials is keeping malwarebytes from running?

Thanks!!

Susan

mbst-grab-results.zip

Hi Susan.

The purpose of making those "exclusion" adjustments is to get over the error message "Unable to start" + also to minimized any friction from M S E.

I still would like for you to do those.

also, this setup needs a clean re-install.  You already have the Support tool on this machine,  You can skip a re-download of it.

Please try uninstalling and reinstalling Malwarebytes for Windows using the Malwarebytes Support tool.

Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-2674

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

p.s.  Additional notes.

I noticed there had been a bunch of "exclusions" of websites on Malwarebytes, like

kkjhvudjyaskgjhylarqfjb.com    
www.kkjhvudjyaskgjhylarqfjb.com   

One needs to be real careful as to which sites , which links are set as exclusions  ( meaning they in effect are treated as safe sites by the web protection".

Those 2 above seem certainly dodgy.  I wonder why exactly you had excluded them ?

For Your Information:

The website  Block message indicates that a potential risk was blocked by the malicious website protection. 

The Malwarebytes web protection, by default, will always show each IP block occurrence.

The Malwarebytes Webs protection feature will advise customers when a known or suspected malicious IP is attempted to be reached (outgoing) or is trying access your PC.

See our info page https://www.malwarebytes.com/lp/ip-blocking/?ipblock=true

Incoming block notice can be ignored, our software is blocking the threat and there is nothing more that can be done.

On Outbound blocks, any attempted connection was stopped.

No action is required unless you’re also experiencing malware symptoms or there are multiple (different) IPs (ex;123.23.34 and 4.44.56).

Exclusions are intended only for safe sites that are blocked falsely.   If you see a block on some sight address you know nothing about, just click the small X  on the block notice to close out the small notice message.

additional note:  the MBST zip file report was only partial.   If you encounter more issues,  we may need to have you run some new report using other tools.

Cheers.

So  sorry for the delay in replying.  I was having trouble logging in to this support forum, finally figured out how.  Sheesh.

Anyway, I typed all the exclusions into Microsoft Security Essentials & uninstalled / reinstalled Malwarebytes and now it seems to work just fine.  THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

I still can't download / open attachments on my webmail, and I'm thinking maybe that might also be due to Microsoft Security Essentials???  Any thoughts on that? I usually get pdfs, occasionally doc or docx.  I *think* I might've seen some sort of message just quickly blink by, before it tells me "__________________ couldn't be downloaded."  I get the very same  message if I try download an .exe file, e.g. from malwartebytes.com.

Any thoughts on how I can get my favorite computer (with Windows 7) to allow downloads, from webmail as well as web pages?  

Thanks!!!!

Thanks also for the explanation of exclusions - that's a big help.

Viz the exclusions IN Malwarebytes - I have no idea where those came from, nor where to find them, nor where you found them.  In all the time I've used Malwarebytes (until 2 days ago, under y'all's instructions) I don't think I ever did anything anywhere with exclusions.

I'm right now "extracting" the grab zip file - I assume that's where you found the 2 you mentioned:

I noticed there had been a bunch of "exclusions" of websites on Malwarebytes, like

kkjhvudjyaskgjhylarqfjb.com    
www.kkjhvudjyaskgjhylarqfjb.com

???

I have to go now, will poke around the Malwarebytes website later this weekend (I hope) and try to learn more.   

Thanks again, and any advice on my "can't download" issue would be great ---

Susan

When websites are blocked by the Malwarebytes web protection, it will show a small notice message window.  The thing to not do is to quickly click on a button to "exclude" the site.  I must presume that that sort of action was how those 2 odd exclusions got there.

You said 

I typed all the exclusions into Microsoft Security Essentials & uninstalled / reinstalled Malwarebytes and now it seems to work just fine.

I am glad to read that.

You report download issues  & sometimes not being able to open attachments.

Question:   Which web browser is being used at that time ?

Since you are describing those types of issues, I will move your Topic to the malware removal section so that we can run guided tests.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

I would like to have you run a report tool known as FRST. This has no personal information. It is a well-known & widely used &safe.
FRST will help provide me with a list of installed programs and other information about your computer that will help me see if there are any other problems that are not being detected. Please follow the steps below to run FRST.

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save.
Click Save to save the file to the Downloads folder    ( or else to the Desktop).

Go to the folder where you saved the file using Windows Explorer.

run report with FRST64

Right-click on FRST icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool , and reply YES to allow it to proceed and run.

Click YES when prompted by Windows U A C prompt to allow it to run.
Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info & followup & choose Run anyway.

Approve the Windows UAC prompt on Windows Vista and newer operating systems by clicking on Continue or Yes. 

Click Yes when the* disclaimer* appears in FRST.
The tool may want to update itself - in that case you'll be prompted when the update is completed and ready to use.

Make sure that Addition options is *checked* - the configuration should look exactly like on the screen below (do not mark additional things unless asked).
Press Scan button and wait.

The tool will produce 2 logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt , Addition.txt
Click OK button when it shows up. Close the Notepad windows when they show on screen. The tool saves the files.

Please attach these 2 files to your next reply.

Thank you.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar wrote:

You report download issues  & sometimes not being able to open attachments.

Question:   Which web browser is being used at that time ?

Since you are describing those types of issues, I will move your Topic to the malware removal section so that we can run guided tests.

Susan replies:

Opera and Internet Explorer 11 are the 2 browsers I'm using.  I can't figure out which edition of Opera I have.  I had Mozilla Firefox until pretty recently but it seemed to get corrupted or deleted so I uninstalled it and am hoping to reinstall once I get to where I can download again. I'm unable to download in my webmail program and also from regular websites, using either Internet Explorer or Opera.

Maurice Naggar wrote:

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

"Download link for 64-Bit Version Windows"

etc

Susan replies:

I downloaded FRST on another computer and transferred it to my problem computer on a flash drive, and followed your instructions; did not see a screen in your post showing what options to check, so just left it as I found it, including "Addition" checked.  I'll attach a screen print of the setup I used, as well as the 2 logfiles FRST.txt and Addition.txt.

Thanks in advance for further advice --

Susan

495788327_FRSToptionschecked.JPG.96a7d509f5df34446f7e7ccda416167c.JPG

FRST.txt Addition.txt

Thank you for the FRST reports.  Those are a big help.

By the way, I am understanding that you have another working PC  & you are able to shuttle-transfer files using a USB-flash-thumb drive from one machine to the other.

NOTE:  Opera browser is listed as installed on this PC.

However, this FRST shows that there are some remains of Firefox as well as Chrome browsers.

and of course, this machine has Internet Explorer.  Actually since this is a 64bit Windows, it would have 2 Internet Explorers.   One 32-bit & one 64-bit.

This is a Windows 7 system.  It should have a Internet Explorer version 11  on it, which you should be able to use in a pinch.

You can manually start the IE browser  ( that is IEXPLORE.exe  ) from the Windows RUN option.

The Windows RUN can be started by pressing & holding Windows-key on keyboard & tapping  R  key.     Winkey + R

Then to start the IE browser   use Copy and Paste this into the text box of the Run option box

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  -extoff

That will start Internet Explorer.   That is the safe mode of Internet Explorer.  It will load without any add-on extensions.

One of the first things I would like for you to check is whether your Windows machine shows itself to be connected to your internet router for WIFI.

Also, if you are only relying on WIFI, it is best if the machine is directly connected with a ethernet cable directly to the internet router box.

( I am assuming that your location has a broadband internet router box. )

[ 2 ]

Use your browser to go to http://www.msftconnecttest.com/

This page can provide status information about the internet connection as well as some info about the hardware router.
It also provides some diagnostic capabilities.

You should see a summary along with statuses about your local network, under the Device STATUS tab.
That includes some status information about the broadband connection & also status about WIFI

One of the tabs on main page is "Diagnostics".  That provides you two ways to run diagnostics.

This page is courtesy of ATT.   Still, I believe you should be able to make use of it.    Just to see about the Network connection & the status of WIFI status.

[ 3 ]  This pc also has Kaspersky antivirus which you could use to check this pc.

8 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thank you for the FRST reports.  Those are a big help.
I started trying to read them myself but ran out of time... very busy this week... >> sigh <<

By the way, I am understanding that you have another working PC  & you are able to shuttle-transfer files using a USB-flash-thumb drive from one machine to the other.

Right. Yes.  I have an XP computer and an Windows 10 computer, both with problems of their own but able to download and use a USB-flash-thumb drive

NOTE:  Opera browser is listed as installed on this PC.

However, this FRST shows that there are some remains of Firefox as well as Chrome browsers.

I tried to uninstall both Firefox (after it quit working / got partially deleted) and Chrome (after Google tricked me into accidentally installing it).  I'd like to get completely rid of both of them, and then, once I can download again, reinstall Firefox.

and of course, this machine has Internet Explorer.  Actually since this is a 64bit Windows, it would have 2 Internet Explorers.   One 32-bit & one 64-bit.

I have a shortcut to Internet Explorer on my desktop, and actually use it somewhat more than Opera.

This is a Windows 7 system.  It should have a Internet Explorer version 11  on it, which you should be able to use in a pinch.

You can manually start the IE browser  ( that is IEXPLORE.exe  ) from the Windows RUN option.

The Windows RUN can be started by pressing & holding Windows-key on keyboard & tapping  R  key.     Winkey + R

Then to start the IE browser   use Copy and Paste this into the text box of the Run option box

That will start Internet Explorer.   That is the safe mode of Internet Explorer.  It will load without any add-on extensions.

I just did what you said, to start IE in safe mode - I could be wrong, but I *think* I *might* have been able to download an email attachment in that mode!  will test more thoroughly this evening, I hope...

One of the first things I would like for you to check is whether your Windows machine shows itself to be connected to your internet router for WIFI.

Also, if you are only relying on WIFI, it is best if the machine is directly connected with a ethernet cable directly to the internet router box.

( I am assuming that your location has a broadband internet router box. )

I have 4 ways to connect to the internet:  Wifi off a router connected to very slow and unreliable DSL (no way to connect using ethernet - my husband has that part of the house totally occupied), a USB card that connects to the cell system, a smartphone hotspot, and a hotspot device from the library.  of these, the library device works the best, the smartphone & USB card next, DSL worst.

[ 2 ]

Use your browser to go to http://www.msftconnecttest.com/

This page can provide status information about the internet connection as well as some info about the hardware router.
It also provides some diagnostic capabilities.

You should see a summary along with statuses about your local network, under the Device STATUS tab.
That includes some status information about the broadband connection & also status about WIFI

One of the tabs on main page is "Diagnostics".  That provides you two ways to run diagnostics.

This page is courtesy of ATT.   Still, I believe you should be able to make use of it.    Just to see about the Network connection & the status of WIFI status.

I'm planning to try this, this evening.  I have to go work now.

[ 3 ]  This pc also has Kaspersky antivirus which you could use to check this pc.

I told Kaspersky to unsubscribe me and thought I had uninstalled everything. Would like to get rid of whatever is left...

THANKS!!!

In haste,

Susan

8 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

I have got your last reply.   Just fill me in on your next opportunity, after you have had time to go thru all of my last advice.

Including going to the website to check the connection status on this machine.

The very best way for you to start Internet Explorer is this here.

Windows RUN can be started by pressing & holding Windows-key on keyboard & tapping  R  key.     Winkey + R

use Copy and Paste this into the text box of the Run option box

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe  -extoff

That will start Internet Explorer in its Safe Mode.

Sincerely,

P.S.  I do not know just how that in the past you tried to uninstall the other browsers .....BUT  there are remains of other browsers and Windows says Firefox version 68.0.2  is installed.

Please do not do any fixes on your own without checking with me first.

• Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here.

If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this topic with your request.

This applies only to the originator of this topic. Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread.

Thanks