Windows 10, version 1809 released

Firefox

16 hours ago, exile360 said:

Looks like they list some of the new features here.

thanks for your link . and version 1809 is now almost to install , however there is a possibility to I lost my user data when upgrade to new version of the window ? a new info and problem from this link  

so should I cancel of this new windows upgrade which is version   1809 ?

Edited by Gt-truth

That seems to be from users who have used the Upgrade Assistant.

Who knows what they clicked on or selected when using it? They may well have clicked on the option to do a complete reinstall of Windows.

If you use 'Check for Updates' in Settings>Update and Security it should be OK.

Updated mine yesterday no problems. (Well the task manager thing, but that should be patched next week).

Edited by nukecad

1809 pulled from release.

Windows 10 1809 has been pulled from release while they investigate the 'missing files' problem.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.

If you have manually downloaded the Windows 10 October 2018 Update installation media, please don’t install it and wait until new media is available.

If anyone has lost files because of this (and stupidly didn't have backups) then there are reports that 'Recuva' will get them back:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3310610/microsoft-windows/did-you-upgrade-to-win10-1809-and-lose-all-of-your-documents-and-pictures-theres-a-fix-for-that.html

Edited by nukecad

I have lost some of my file after this upgrade ! trying to scan my system with my laptop manufacture tool and they found some missing drivers after this window update version 1809 and the driver won’t be to installed again ? the manufacture tool keeps let me there Is a new driver but can not be installed after the upgrade of windows ?

note : all divers was updated before this crap update of windows and now I have missing driver and maybe other file were missing too ?

Edited by Gt-truth

Not sure about your drivers Gt-truth, maybe Windows has replaced them with different versions?

The problem that has halted distribution is more obvious than that - all the contents of the users Documents, Pictures, etc. folders go missing entirely.

It does seem to be linked to using the Update Assistant rather than 'Check for Updates'. (ie. Those who are jumping the gun a bit and installing it themselves before Windows 'offers' it).

As I understand it, the only time files get deleted is when the user shell folders (documents etc.) have been moved/mapped/redirected to another location (like a secondary drive as some people do these days, not wanting to keep non-OS/non-program files on their primary boot drives/SSDs, instead storing them on secondary HDDs).  As long as you haven't done that it shouldn't matter and you shouldn't lose any files.

'Official' from Microsoft is that it was caused by users having 'Known Folder Redirection' enabled, but still keeping files in the previous location as well as the 'relocated' location.

Seems there had been complaints of these Known Folders showing as duplicates, so the Update removed the old locations - but didn't check that they were empty first.

Based on feedback from users, we introduced code in the October 2018 Update to remove these empty, duplicate known folders.  That change, combined with another change to the update construction sequence, resulted in the deletion of the original “old” folder locations and their content, leaving only the new “active” folder intact.  

It was also a problem with KFR becoming turned on when using some options of Onedrive.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2018/10/09/updated-version-of-windows-10-october-2018-update-released-to-windows-insiders/

Edited by nukecad

On 10/7/2018 at 11:23 AM, nukecad said:

Not sure about your drivers Gt-truth, maybe Windows has replaced them with different versions?

The problem that has halted distribution is more obvious than that - all the contents of the users Documents, Pictures, etc. folders go missing entirely.

It does seem to be linked to using the Update Assistant rather than 'Check for Updates'. (ie. Those who are jumping the gun a bit and installing it themselves before Windows 'offers' it).

after I update to windows version 1809 , my new LAPTOP start behaving weirdly and now it has more serious issue just like "windows 1809" not compatible with my new laptop and vice versa my manufacture drivers is not compatible with windows latest version 1809 and I think that why this laptop has a lag because the all driver are not working properly  ?  so sometime I get "not responding" message (app hang issue) an manufacture utility has detect that this the newer upgrade installation of the "windows version 1809" isn’t compatible with this device ? evermore of that not sure what else can I go with ? do I need to wipe and format this from the scratch and install windows 10 afresh ? if so , where did I get an previous ISO of the windows 10 ? my manufacture utility says I need for (windows version 1803)

note : even Microsoft  update Assistant is to hang when it downloading this update version1809 (I have tired more then once with Microsoft update tool and still hang)

and disk cleanup is also to remove the user file from the download folder and this is this first time I see such thing happen !

You can't use Update Assistant for 1809 at the moment - 1809 has been pulled from general release.

Update Assistant is currently offering 1803 again, and the media downloads on the same webpage are also 1803.
I don't think that you can use the Update Assistant to roll back a version - but see below for the way to do this.
You could create media and reinstall 1803 from scratch, but try rolling back to 1803 as described below first.

And yes,  a change means that Disk Cleanup (and Storage Sense) in 1809 will now clean out your downloads folder if you tick the box to clean downloaded files

Is your laptop a HP laptop? There is a new report of problems for those who did install 1809 on HP machines, caused by incompatible drivers.

If you haven't been too agressive with cleaning then you should be able to roll back your laptop to version 1803 again.

See here for how to roll back Windows10 to the previous version: https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how-to-roll-back-builds-and-uninstall-updates-on-windows-10/

Edited by nukecad

@nukecad yeah ! this is a new HP laptop !

so , If I roll back my laptop to windows version 1803 then I will lost all open webpage in the Firefox tabs ?

EDIT : can not be roll back to previous version of windows build 1803 !

Go back to the previous version of windows 10

this option is no longer available because your PC was updated  more then 10 day ago .

maybe Because I had to use the disk cleanup utility as I read in your link

what’s next ?

Edited by Gt-truth

so I have to download the "Microsoft media creation tool" and just to first run of this tool and however it takes a long way to doing it’s things and on the end an error is show up and this tool is failed to have it’s job done ! which it cause to broke and damage my new USB sticks (and now my USB flash disk is no longer work) and even windows tool are unable to recognize this USB disk and it show a 0 in the size ? it should be have (8 GB) in the size !

Warning : to reader who read on and ran into those problem , do not use this tool for next time . the USB disk will got damaged right after using the Microsoft media creation tool!

Windows 10 Setup

There was a problem running this tool

We’re not sure what happened, but we’re unable to run this tool on your PC, if you continue experiencing problems, reference the error code when contacting customer support, Error code: 0x80004005 - 0xA001A 

Format USB Drive (E:)

Capacity :

unknown capacity

File System :

FAT (Default)

Allocation until size :

Default Allocation Size

Restore Device defaults

Volume label

format option

quick format

start                close

Edited by Gt-truth
EDIT for typo error and add some more info

Downloading media and reinstalling was the next step if you couldn't roll back, but you seem to have had problems with that.

However-

Microsoft yesterday issued an update to remove the faulty driver from HP machines.

Ok, yours does not sound quite the same as you are  are not getting the BSOD like some others - but you are on HP with a driver problem after 1809 so this update would be your next try:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4468372/hp-devices-may-experience-blue-screen-error-wdf-violation-after-instal

Use 'Check for Updates' to see if it will do it for you, if not you will have to do it manually from the Microsoft Update Catalogue, the link is onthat webpage.

That page also gives a command string that will remove the faulty driver if you have problems getting that update.
Note that its a different command string for 32bit and 64bit systems.

@nukecad I have remove the "media creation tool" from the "download"folder and download a fresh one and however I still get an error using this tool .(I have attach an screenshot :rolleyes:)

for the blue screen of death ,  yes , I have no any of it (no any BSOD so far) and just to check for OS update by going to "check for update" the only update there is for windows defender which is already disabled !

and I have check on your link and I have to download the update to remove the faulty driver and not sure if it got better or not !

anyway , Googling this and I find a new tool other then media creation tool which both are by Microsoft to refresh or upgrade the OS which you can to download it from here

you can read about tool from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

CpWz_532.png

Edited by Gt-truth

Have you tried using the "Update Assistant"  rather than downloading the Media Creation tool? (They are both on the same webpage).

TBH I think that your problem may be that when you try to use any of these tools they are now trying to install 1803 - but they are recognising that you already have a later version installed, 1809, (or just not recognising what 1809 is at all) and so abort.

(You might have more luck if you actually create media, ie. a DVD or USB and reinstall from that, but no guarantees).

You may be best waiting until Microsoft start offering their revised/fixed 1809.

PS. If you are still having problems with apps not connecting to the internet then try switching the network profile from "Private" to "Public", there have been reports of that switch curing some connectivity issues.

On 10/16/2018 at 10:20 PM, nukecad said:

Have you tried using the "Update Assistant"  rather than downloading the Media Creation tool? (They are both on the same webpage).

TBH I think that your problem may be that when you try to use any of these tools they are now trying to install 1803 - but they are recognising that you already have a later version installed, 1809, (or just not recognising what 1809 is at all) and so abort.

(You might have more luck if you actually create media, ie. a DVD or USB and reinstall from that, but no guarantees).

yeah , I have tried the ""Microsoft update Assistant" tool before I going to completely deleted my partition and to create a new one . however "update Assistant tool" is take some quite long time to doing its thing :) you may want to read my reply from here 

yeah , for creating the Bootable media . I have make a new bootable media on the USB stick using the rufus Ulitily which they have both the full installer and a probable version are available to download ! this is the best tool to create an ISO media and a very powerful utility to fix the USB stick after the Microsoft media creation tool has done to damaging my USB that way :)

and so , I have download a new windows 10 ISO from Microsoft website and save it on my hard disk as I have make an a new bootable Flash media for window 10 and to reinstall windows 10 afresh!

I recommend to use  rufus Ulitily

You may be best waiting until Microsoft start offering their revised/fixed 1809.

I’m not sure I want to wait until Microsoft to fix the version 1809 because my Manufacture tool keeps to tell that my device that "running windows version 1809 is not compatible" so I need to running an older version of the OS ?

PS. If you are still having problems with apps not connecting to the internet then try switching the network profile from "Private" to "Public", there have been reports of that switch curing some connectivity issues.

for this issue , I’ll have a closely look at it :) and I will report back right here at the time goes  : -  .

Edited by Gt-truth

• 4 weeks later...