Is an AntiVirus Program Necessary Now?

Now that MBAM has a realtime protection option in the paid version, do we still need a second AV program running? If the realtime protection is as good as it's scanning ability, then it would seem that a second AV program doesn't do much more than throw your CPU cycles away.

Most Internet reviewers of AV software seem unaware that MBAM has realtime protection and discount it's use as your main AV program. Is it just too early to see how it stacks up against other programs like AVG, Avira and Avast?

I'm aware that no single program can do it all nowadays, but the more processes I run, the less computer I have to do my real work.

To be specific, I'm currently using AVG Free and MBAM free. Since it's a one-time inexpensive fee to upgrade MABM, I'm wondering if doing that and removing AVG would leave me just as protected. I don't use the AVG link scanner or e-mail scanner anyway, so I'm not sure what AVG does for me that MBAM wouldn't.

Thanks,

Mwewe

Thanks for the responses,

Are you two speaking from personal experience? In other words, do you have the paid version of MBAM resident and are you seeing your resident primary AV reporting problems that MBAM misses? If so, can you quantify it or give it a qualitative evaluation?

As for what the realtime module is intended to do, I can't tell from the descriptions on MBAMs pages what the developers have in mind. Are you part of the development or support teams? It would be very helpful to hear an "official" position on this, I don't think it's at all clear. There are no help pages or support documents. This forum and the blog appear to be the main sources of information. I suspect the answer I'm looking for is there, but I just haven't found it yet.

Mwewe

Thanks for the responses,

Are you two speaking from personal experience? In other words, do you have the paid version of MBAM resident and are you seeing your resident primary AV reporting problems that MBAM misses? If so, can you quantify it or give it a qualitative evaluation?

As for what the realtime module is intended to do, I can't tell from the descriptions on MBAMs pages what the developers have in mind. Are you part of the development or support teams? It would be very helpful to hear an "official" position on this, I don't think it's at all clear. There are no help pages or support documents. This forum and the blog appear to be the main sources of information. I suspect the answer I'm looking for is there, but I just haven't found it yet.

Mwewe

There have been several posts made by the MBAM team throughout this forum about the recommendation of running an A/V proram alongside of MBAM. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is designed to catch the newest threats that are hard to remove or detect by the mainstream A/V and A/S programs. So the definitions that MBAM use don't always catch the older threats which the a/v programs most likely would.

I personally run Avira Antivir and the paid version of MBAM on my desktop and they both seem to be doing a great job. They are both light on resources and I barely notice either running. MBAM's real-time protection basically prevents the malware before it even runs. With the paid version, you can also schedule automatic updates and quick scans. They have also incorporated the IP Protection feature in the latest stable version 1.40, which blocks your computer from contacting malicious IPs.

I hope this information is accurate and helpful

Thanks for the note, Swagger. Can you supply pointers to the posts you mention? I'd like to read them, and I'd like to see whether they were posted before the realtime scanner was implemented. The context would be important here.

I think it's a deficiency in documentation (or in my ability to discover it) that there's no mention anywhere that a separate AV program is necessary or even recommended for proper protection while using MBAM with it's realtime module active. There is mention that it will work with other AM software, but the context sounds like it's optional, like using a belt and suspenders together.

I'd really like to see a statement of Malwarebyte's position on this issue. Most AM manufacturers recommend against running other such programs in conjunction with their own, though you do see recommendations to run AV and AS programs concurrently.

Srtools1980y, thanks for your post. You say "av+am+as" is needed. Your notation is inconsistent because both AS and AV are AM programs. Theoretically, a single anti-malware program could contain anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-worm, anti-trojan, anti-rootkit, etc. modules. Some people consider certain anti-spyware programs to be trojans or worms, so your trichotomy is even more inappropriate. In the blog to which your link points, Wismer says that "anti-virus" is a synonym for "anti-malware." He's way off base on that, it's not a synonym, it's a subclass. Viruses, worms, trojans, and spyware, etc., are all quite different entities with differing behaviors, so distinguishing them is important.

Sorry if this seems like nit-picking, but my profession demands attention to detail. And, by the way, even though my question may have sounded naive to you, you can spare me the simple language. I've been a software engineer for over 35 years, and have seen the rise of worms, viruses, adware and the general category of malware from birth to current status.

Greetings ;) .

This post should be a good starting point for reference: Is Malwarebytes' Antivirus?

Also @srtools1980v: I have to somewhat disagree regarding antispyware, as MBAM does in fact find and remove most modern spyware/adware infections. Older variants of these which are no longer seen in the wild (meaning they don't infect anyone anymore) aren't detected by MBAM though, so if dealing with really old infections something like Ad-aware or Spybot Search & Destroy would be the way to go to get rid of those.

MBAM was designed to be inline with the accepted and promoted model of layered security . MBAM is designed to supplement AV software and is fed by research that leans heavily towards confirmed malware that is giving the most trouble to the AVs . We do research everything but there is a strong priority system . The same goes for our IP blocking . It is not designed to replace existing firewalls , only to add an additional layer of protection at the gateway .

With nothing more than MBAM + an AV and the windows firewall you have 4 total barriers to bypass to get into your system . Combine that with safe surfing and keeping things updated and it is quite unlikely that an infection will ever get in .

Thank you, Bruce, your answer is clear, to the point and succinct. I appreciate the time you've taken to provide it.

Might I suggest that your two paragraphs are so helpful that they should be included in the web page description of MBAM somewhere.

I'm currently running AVG 8.5 Free with MBAM, and your IP blocking has already detected and blocked a page that contained a spoofed cleaner that was malware. AVG and my IE8 security features both missed it completely. The quick scan detected seven infections, all minor and left over from old installations. But they were never discovered by the many other AM programs I've tested. A subsequent complete scan uncovered no more infections, so the quick scan was efficient. This is impressive indeed!

I see six processes running for AVG, but only two for MBAM, it's much lighter and from what I can see so far is working perfectly with AVG. I love programs that are solid and have simple GUIs and MBAM fits this description.

I'm convinced that I'm getting more than my money's worth. Consider me a new fan of MBAM, I plan to recommend it to my clients.

Regards,

Mwewe.

In my systems I have installed avira, mbam, ad muncher, usb virus scan & windows defender.

All the above mentioned 5 softs. are doing what they are supposed to do without any conflicts.

I want to know your opinions.

In post #7, it's not anti-spyware (which I have mentioned by mistake). It's actually ad-blocker. Sorry for the mistake all of you. Thanks for pointing it out Mwewe & exile360.

I'm currently running AVG 8.5 Free with MBAM, and your IP blocking has already detected and blocked a page that contained a spoofed cleaner that was malware. AVG and my IE8 security features both missed it completely. The quick scan detected seven infections, all minor and left over from old installations. But they were never discovered by the many other AM programs I've tested. A subsequent complete scan uncovered no more infections, so the quick scan was efficient. This is impressive indeed!

I see six processes running for AVG, but only two for MBAM, it's much lighter and from what I can see so far is working perfectly with AVG. I love programs that are solid and have simple GUIs and MBAM fits this description.

I'm convinced that I'm getting more than my money's worth. Consider me a new fan of MBAM, I plan to recommend it to my clients.

Regards,

Mwewe.

May I suggest switching over from AVG to Avira's Antivir? I have never been a 'fanboy' but there are 2 products that I use and trust. One is Antivir and the other is MBAM. Not only is Antivir lighter on resources, but it's detection rates are flat out better. I think someone of your skillset and knowledge would enjoy Antivir. Note: The free version of Antivir does not include link scanning or e-mail scanning. Take a look at this page for a comparison of the Antivir versions.

May I suggest switching over from AVG to Avira's Antivir? I have never been a 'fanboy' but there are 2 products that I use and trust. One is Antivir and the other is MBAM. Not only is Antivir lighter on resources, but it's detection rates are flat out better. I think someone of your skillset and knowledge would enjoy Antivir. Note: The free version of Antivir does not include link scanning or e-mail scanning. Take a look at this page for a comparison of the Antivir versions.

I have to agree with swagger here. Avira has some of the best detection rates out right now for a free anti-virus. I like to run the full scan with MBAM and SAS once a month or so and while the scan is running Avira will be checking the files along-side both of them; usually an Avira dialog will prompt for a decision on a suspicious file though the scan is being run through one of the others.

The decision of still running an AV has been covered, but I'd just like to add that running 1 AV and multiple anti-malware/anti-spyware programs in realtime should not create any conflicts at all so there shouldn't be any reason not to have them, as long as they aren't hogging your cpu or memory. No program covers everything so a layered approach to your PC security is the way to go.

The only path that leads to total security is to not have a computer but I'm sure most will agree that that's just insane and borderline heresy ;) .

exile360 - you stole my avatar

avast! Free does include link scanning and e-mail scanning:

Standard resident protection

Resident protection (the real-time protection of the operating system), is one of the most important parts of an antivirus program today. avast! features a powerful resident module that is able to detect a virus before it has any chance to infect your computer.

avast! Home Edition contains resident protection of the computer file system and a resident module for e-mails and news.

Web Shield

Web Shield is a unique feature of avast! that enables it to monitor and filter all HTTP traffic coming from the Web sites on the Internet.

http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-free-home-a...ispyware.html#6

Thanks, Swagger. I downloaded Avira several days ago but haven't evaluated it yet. I've seen reviews and comments that echo what you say about it.

We've used AVG Free for years, but it's become bloated and inefficient, and doesn't work well with our ad filters. It produces an irritating number of false positives on some sites.

The only negatives I've seen for Avira is slowness in updates due to the server location in Germany, and an annoying nag screen during updates. The servers looked fast enough for me during the download, if they're the same servers, and I hope the nag screen isn't too annoying.

On the plus side, Avira also has anti-rootkit functionality. AVG does not deal with rootkits, but it does have e-mail and link filtering.

The link filtering slows IE8 to a crawl so we don't use it at all, and I figure that with good real-time protection activated, the e-mail scanning isn't needed. In fact, we've been experiencing some e-mail problems since we started filtering the mail. It's been a long time since I've seen AVG report an infected e-mail too.

Thanks for the suggestion, you've motivated me to get off my duff and check out Avira.

Mwewe

No problem at all.

I think as far as the nagscreen goes on updates, it's per user how badly it annoys them. It's usually just once a day so it doesn't annoy me at all honestly. Good protection for free and the only down side is a screen that I have to click "ok" on... I can live with that ;) I've had bad experiences with the resident protection on AVG and Avast taking up a lot of resources unnecessarily. Which made me switch to Antivir and I haven't turned back other than to test Avast 5 beta on my laptop. Let us know what you think of Antivir :D