In my "add and remove programs", I see that I have:

MS.NET Framework 1.1 (no size)

MS.NET Framework 1.1 hotfix (no size)

MS.Net Framework 2.0 sp2 185mb

MS.NET Framework 3.0 sp2 179 mb

MS.NET Framework 3.5 SP1 28 mb

I occasionally get an error message that says

Error parsing c:\windows\microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.14322\config\machine.config

Also, occasionally my shut down hangs while closing a net framework app.

Anyway, can I delete any of these versions of the programs?

What do they do anyway?

Thanks in advance.

If you ever need one the program you're trying to run that depends on it will give you an error message that it requires .NET Framework version x.x. You can also use Windows Update as it will offer you the .NET Framework installers and their updates. Just be sure that if you reinstall any of them (which will require a reboot afterwards), that you go back to Windows Update again to grab any security updates and hotfixes for the .NET Framework version(s) you installed.

The .NET Cleanup Utility can be found here, but PLEASE be sure to read that page before using it. It specifically says that it's always better to uninstall .NET Framework via Add\Remove Programs (Programs and Features in Vista) and reinstall the .NET Framework versions you removed to fix problems, and only when that fails, use the cleanup tool.

• 1 month later...

the .NET framework can be a royal pian in the ass if you remove it,and later find you need it.

i had many troubles with this,i couldnt even get the clean up to fix it.

it wasnt until they released there .net family update i finaly got the thing to work again.

after trying almost ever fix it soliution out there.

be sure you dont need this before removing it.

i had so many troubles with it.this the only reason i post is becuse of the problems it caused me.i am half mined to think they might have released that update because many folks were compliang the couldnt get it to work.

mainly after removing reg entries linked to the the .NET framework.

i just re-formatted and ive all the versions you`ve listed btw.

• 2 months later...

Also, there is a version included with Windows 7 - .net Framework 3.5.1 - which is found under "turn Windows Features On or Off" in the Win7 Control Panel. When "Turned On" you (I) don't see it in Control Panel under Installed Programs.

However, if you've done all your updates for Vista and then upgraded to Win7 things can get a lot confusing - because you see all the .net Frameworks that had been installed under Vista.

For what it's worth (remember, there's a reason they're called "PERSONAL" computers) I uninstalled all the .net Frameworks in my upgraded Win7 O/S and then went back and turned the "feature" on in CP again.

So far, so good and that seems to have got rid of a couple of minor errors in Expression Web for me. But, they still might return. One is never sure for a long long time. And, even then.....

<----- my 2 bits worth!

that's why a clean install is the way to go.

not sure what you do for a living and I am mostly in favor of what you're saying but...... there are instances...

<---- Microsoft Certified and "in the trenches" for over 25 years.

Discuss further if you'd like but I would humbly suggest you might like to use a qualifier. After all there is a reason they're all called "personal" computers.

?

There just seem to be far fewer issues and potential problems. Leaving a bunch of old software installed that was likely designed for the previous OS and not the one being installed is one, but there are many others. If at all possible I recommend a data backup and clean install on the drive to avoid such problems from the beginning, rather than often struggling to find the source of a problem only to later realize it's because of the mixed up new and old software on the drive.

Being MS certified and all I'm sure that you know far better than I, as I can only speak from my own experiences.

There just seem to be far fewer issues and potential problems. Leaving a bunch of old software installed that was likely designed for the previous OS and not the one being installed is one, but there are many others. If at all possible I recommend a data backup and clean install on the drive to avoid such problems from the beginning, rather than often struggling to find the source of a problem only to later realize it's because of the mixed up new and old software on the drive.

Being MS certified and all I'm sure that you know far better than I, as I can only speak from my own experiences.

Absolutely you're right in saying "There just seem to be far fewer issues and potential problems" and, it's not my MS certified saying that - it's the 25 years spent in the trenches of wet and soggy computer user mud!

I used to say exactly what you did - for years and years - until one day I got "bit" and it cost me 5 or 6 hours of my own time to rectify. I hate it when that happens!

As always, for all of us, there's something new to learn - every day. Maybe one day I will come back around to agreeing with the exactitude of your original quote. I hope so. But, I will never forget the day I got "bit".

:)

What was it that "bit" you, if you don't mind my asking? Was it a driver you couldn't track down or a lost license key for an expensive piece of software, now obliterated from the old registry? Or was it something else? I could certainly understand running into something like that, and have in the past myself, but in cautious hands these issues can usually be avoided, but I suspect you're referring to something far more sinister, ie a real headache :) .

What was it that "bit" you, if you don't mind my asking? Was it a driver you couldn't track down or a lost license key for an expensive piece of software, now obliterated from the old registry? Or was it something else? I could certainly understand running into something like that, and have in the past myself, but in cautious hands these issues can usually be avoided, but I suspect you're referring to something far more sinister, ie a real headache :) .

If memory serves - and I am approaching senility - the sequence goes like this:

Project Scope: XP to Vista Upgrade with all programs continuing to function. Aero mode not necessary.

Check Software Vendors sites for compatibility - office, av, PS CS2, Corel PhotoAlbum, PaintShop, ColorStudio, Bryce and a couple of others.

Corel says (posts on site) that PhotoAlbum 6 runs fine under Vista

Upgrade XP to Vista

Test all software and on the last test - PhotoAlbum won't play

Google it and lotsa users with same issue

Call Corel and oops, yes, sorry, it doesn't work and we've now taken down the miss informative tech doc!!

Virtual PC install

XP install under above

PhotoAlbum 6.0 Install

Godder now!

That would be where I got bit!