Problem with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

I just want to report a problem here when I tried to complete the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update installation. After around the third reboot when it's almost done, I get a blue screen with a message that says, "There was a problem with your pc. We will send back Microsoft information and then we'll restart your system."   I never get any specifics about why the installation failed,  but the next thing I see is that the screen then goes to black with a white message at the bottom that says, "Restoring your last version of Windows." 

After trying this two times, I happened to notice that there is a setting in my Malwarebytes (I have premium) that is turned OFF which is,

"Web Protections to malicious or compromised website " 

I try to switch it back on, but it seems stuck saying, "starting", so I end up reinstalling the current version and then it's ok.

I'm wondering if Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has a conflict with this setting or with Malwarebytes in general. I do not use Windows defender, but I have virus protection with Trend Micro.

I also have not had a problem with the first Creators Update that was released this past spring, so I thought I'd report this.

Has anyone else have this issue? I have not been prompted to turn off any malware or virus protection, but should I try it again with Malwarebytes turned off?

Below is what the screen looked like when it ended:

Anniversary-Update-fails-to-install-kmode_exception_not_handled-e1470219893497.jpg

Edited by geekGirl999

Hi Devin,

Yes, I can get back into my old original Windows version before the update. Microsoft automatically restored my original version of Windows after I got the blue screen with the ambiguous message. It's like I never did the update, but at least I can access my system again normally. I haven't seen another notification to retry the upgrade yet, and maybe I shouldn't try to force it to look for updates in my system settings because maybe my computer is not ready to receive it. I don't know. Maybe I should wait.

I'm confused as to whether or not I need to uninstall Malwarebytes or just turn it off. Which one do I need to do? I also have Trend Micro. 

The funny thing is: I was able to upgrade to the first Creators Update this past spring with absolutely no problem at all and I did not have to disable anything so I don't understand why I'm having a problem with the fall Creators Update.

If I get the notification to upgrade again, I'll disable Malwarebytes first.

My laptop was one of the "lucky" ones to automatically get the update on day 1 of the roll-out (even though it is 5 year old Toshiba, but up to date with the Win 10 OS), and I just ran the update today after waiting to make a system image before running the upgrade.

I did not turn off or unistall Malwarebytes (Premium 3.2.2.2029) and it worked fine for me as an FYI.

Also that setting you show as "off" shows "on" for my system.

Good luck, I have had problems in the past with other updates on other computers, one where it took a few times, or there was a hardware conflict with a wireless wifi adaptor (Gateway installed at factory, but again an older machine, there were many who had the same issue, the wifi adaptor had to be removed from the computer to get it to go, that was on the normal Creator's update, not this one).

I am having a different issue with windows defender, will post about that separately.

Edited by need4spd

@geekGirl999

I had the exact same issue occur on one of my two computers.  I just tried a normal Windows Update to 1709, and it bombed just where your install did ... after hours of downloading and preparing ...  I then turned off both Malwarebytes and Bitdefender, and tried again, but it again bombed at the same place.

With my laptop, I disabled both Malwarebytes and Bitdefender before commencing the update process, and it went slowly but successfully.  No issues there.

I am only slightly suspicious that security software was the cause of the failed installs on my tower computer.  Like you, the spring Creator's Update went without a hitch on both computers and I had both security solutions active at the time.

The failed second attempt might have been due to a corrupt Windows installer file, that it did not redownload because it was already in the Software Distribution folder.  I have cleaned that all out and run the Windows Update troubleshooter.  Now, I am not being offered the Windows 1709 Feature Update.  I suspect, with the telemetry that Microsoft has, that they became aware of an issue affecting some computers, and they are going to fix the problem.  Until they do, I suspect that they are withholding that update from computers that they have identified as vulnerable to failed 1709 updates with the current 1709 update package.

There are just my suspicions.  I am just going to wait for Microsoft to offer me 1709 again.  Then I will disable my security software, just to eliminate any possible conflict.

Just my two cents, and to let you know, that I was also affected by the issue that you faced.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

When a major feature update fails, it marks a registry key on that version.  I forget where the key is though. Sorry. BTW, this is how I would be able to re-download a failed Insider build. Try doing a registry search for  16299. If found, delete it.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for any issues caused by editing registry entries. Only do this if you are familiar with editing your registry.

Edited by randyored

Right now, my Windows 10 update status in my system settings say my system is up to date, but if I go to my update history, it lists three downloads, "Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1709"  and underneath each of them there is a link that says, "Requires a restart to finish installing." This is where I first initiated the installation and it failed three times as I described above.

The system is currently not searching for updates and I am not getting any notifications in my start toolbar, so what I think I may do is just wait until I get a formal notification again and just disable malwarebytes next time.  I got the first notification when I forced it to search for updates and it took a REALLY long time to download it before I got any notification to initiate the installation process.

@randyored I don't think it would be a good idea to mess with the registry keys. I think I'll just wait it out at the moment.

Updated three computers (each a different hardware platform) from Build 15063 to Build 16299.19 V1709 with no issues other than I had to reinstalled Bitdefender Internet Security 2018 on one of the systems.  (The BD services would not start up prior to the re-install).  All the systems have Bitdefender Internet Security 2018, Malwarebytes 3.2.2.2029 and HitManPro.alert 3.6.7.

Be sure all of your hardware drivers are up-to-date for your specific computer hardware.  Keep in mind that some of the drivers are computer brand dependent based on your system so do not assume that Microsoft installing drivers on your hardware is the correct/safe approach.  Personally, I turn off the Windows Update option that permits Microsoft to update my drivers.  I manually check for driver updates for my specific hardware and install/test my drivers without interference from Microsoft.  

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:53 AM, geekGirl999 said:

Right now, my Windows 10 update status in my system settings say my system is up to date, but if I go to my update history, it lists three downloads, "Feature Update to Windows 10, version 1709"  and underneath each of them there is a link that says, "Requires a restart to finish installing." This is where I first initiated the installation and it failed three times as I described above.

The system is currently not searching for updates and I am not getting any notifications in my start toolbar, so what I think I may do is just wait until I get a formal notification again and just disable malwarebytes next time.  I got the first notification when I forced it to search for updates and it took a REALLY long time to download it before I got any notification to initiate the installation process.

@randyored I don't think it would be a good idea to mess with the registry keys. I think I'll just wait it out at the moment.

I would suggest:
uninstall Malwarebytes (deactivate licence first)
restart
uninstall Trend Micro
restart.

Then start the fall update again by clicking "Update now" from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10

If it installs OK then install the latest versions of both products.

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps, I was getting a BSOD during the Windows 10 Feature update 1709 about a week ago.

I tried uninstalling MBAM 3 (premium) today and when I installed Windows 10 1709 just now, got another BSOD.

So for me at least, MBAM is not the issue (or the only issue). Windows 10 updates the past few months have been giving me a lot of BSOD's (Stop codes). Even with all drivers up-to-date it hasn't helped.

3 hours ago, jsljustin said:

If it helps, I was getting a BSOD during the Windows 10 Feature update 1709 about a week ago.

I tried uninstalling MBAM 3 (premium) today and when I installed Windows 10 1709 just now, got another BSOD.

So for me at least, MBAM is not the issue (or the only issue). Windows 10 updates the past few months have been giving me a lot of BSOD's (Stop codes). Even with all drivers up-to-date it hasn't helped.

Hi @jsljustin
I think the best thing to do would be to just wait until I get an official update notification from Windows rather than forcing it to upgrade by downloading it from the system settings.

Apparently, Microsoft is not doing enough Beta testing which I find very disappointing. People shouldn't have to do any guesswork with this. I refuse to mess with my system just to do a forced upgrade with features that I never have any intention of using.  Right now, my system settings say my computer is up to date even though the upgrade never completed when I go to my update history. 

Hi geekGirl999,

yes, good points. Unfortunately, Windows update keeps re-downloading the Fall creator update for me in the background, the best I can do at the moment is kick it forward by snoozing it for 3 days.

I did rule out Avast AV and MBAM 3 - at least, I still got BSOD's with both of these uninstalled, but the update seemed to get further along before Blue Screening with AV and MBAM uninstalled.

I agree that we are defacto beta-testers for the Windows 10 enterprise users - they get the updates after all the bugs that we get to find get ironed out :-)

I am fairly confident that this update has caused some sort of conflict either with software or drivers on my system, but unfortunately I still am at a point where I have to test my hardware now as well, as I am out of ideas and options.