Windows Defender + MBAM running both

Hi forum. I'm just setting up a new Win 10x64 CU laptop. I'm keeping Windows Defender as my AV and running MBAM PRO alongside. I have found the Malwarebytes folders and files to add to Windows Defender Exclusions through a forum search, but I cannot find a list of the Windows Defender folders and files to add to MBAM's Exclusion list. Can anyone help? Thanks. :) 

Edited by catscomputer

Thanks nikhils, I have already enabled that option to let Windows Action Centre Choose which to register, but that's not quite what I mean. I thought there were files I needed to add to MBAM Exclusion list to prevent conflicts, as both software are running with realtime shields enabled. This was always the recommendation on my past installations when running and AV + AM together - has this changed now? 

Hello @catscomputer

In General Malwarebytes 3.x works well with windows Defender without any 3rd party AV involved.

You should be good to go with the default settings. Also we have seen people usually add MABM file exclusion list to Windows Defender and not the other way around.

In case you absolutely run into issues one of the troubleshooting steps would be to turn off Defender.

Let me know if you have more questions.

52 minutes ago, catscomputer said:

I thought there were files I needed to add to MBAM Exclusion list to prevent conflicts

It is not supposed to be needed but personally I add the following to all computers I service.

Add these files to your Anti-Virus exclusions list as mentioned in this FAQ HERE (my list below includes the exe files as well)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\malwarebytes_assistant.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
  • C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys

Also please exclude the following folders too: (The complete folder)

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService

Thank-you porthos. I already found that FAQ and added MBAM folders and files to the Windows Defender exclusions, but the question was for the other way around - which folders and files belonging to Windows Defender to I add to MBAMs exclusions section. I gather from replies above I don't need to worry, however this is not what my understanding used to be from info on this forum about running MBAM  Pro & an AV both in realtime. You had to add exclusions to both programmes, not just one.

• 2 weeks later...

Porthos,

I took your advice some time ago and added all those exclusions to Windows Defender and everything worked fine. After one of the Windows 10 upgrades I now get an Action Center message saying those files were excluded during a scan. This happens at every scan, every day, and I have to go in and clear the message. 

Are you having this annoyance too? Do you know of a way to have Defender not bother to report those particular files? I suppose I could just remove the exclusions from Defender and see what happens but I'm a cautious type, like you....

Thanks,
Mwewe