Malwarebytes 3.1.2 Not Starting Properly

We're running the latest build of Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 on Windows 7 Pro PCs.  Every morning after reboot, the Malwarebytes application is failing to start properly with several features disabled like Web Protection and Malware Protection.  And with these features disabled, it's blocking the use of Microsoft Office applications likes Word and Excel.  Also, it blocks any Internet application or process for IE, Chrome or Firefox.  Rebooting does not help.  However, if I reinstall Malwarebytes using the same version, it works again.  But I'm having to do this daily on all of our PCs.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.  I'll post from a PC that's in the actual condition.

Saying that, I have read quite a few posts of similar issues with features not starting properly like Web Protection.  And manually starting them is not working.  What is the suggestion for that type of general issue?

Thanks for the help.

Devin, here's a 3rd PC with the exact same issue.  I've run the mb-check tool on this one as well.  Reboot the PC with version 3.1.2.1733 Component 1.0.141 and Web Protection and Malware Protection will not start properly.  And manually starting them doesn't work either.  I've tried using the mb-clean-3.1.0.1008.exe tool to remove and reinstall the latest build, but the issue still occurs.  On one of my critical PCs, I have been forced to downgrade Malwarebytes to version 2.2 just to make the PC functional with some degree of protection.

Ken

mb-check-results.zip

I am having the exact same experience on multiple PCs with Windows 7 and Windows 10. Been fighting this since 3 got released.

Shepcon are you running Symantec Endpoint Protection by any chance as I seem to have that as a common factor with many PCs although not all ??

It turns-out that Symantec did have a more recent build of SEP 12, which I have just installed as a test on one of my PCs that is having the Malwarebytes issues.  However, the Symantec update did not resolve the Malwarebytes issue.  Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.6 RU6 MP8 build 7266 is the latest release from Symantec.

Devin, I have done as you suggested for another PC, which is the 5th one.  After booting the PC, Malwarebytes Web and Malware Protection are off.  Exploit and Ransomware Protection are on.  I enabled the event log and tried to start Malware Protection.  When I slide the item to the On position, it immediately goes back to the off position.  If I try to start the Web Protection, it goes to a Starting status but never starts.  I have waited more than 30 seconds.

Attached is the mb-check as requested for this 5th PC.

mb-check-results.zip

Are you using SEP 14?  Because we have around 20 computers doing this exact same thing, and they are all running the June 6 update of Symantec Endpoint Protection 14.  MBAM and Symantec are not good friends these days.  Given that Malwarebyte's market cap probably fits inside Symantec's catering budget, I'd say it's MBAM's job to sort this out.

Firefox, I actually considered that concept today with creating SEP exceptions.  Are the exceptions you provide above pretty much all that's needed?

Saying that, I have checked the SEP logs and I cannot find any entries that reflect SEP is actually blocking Malwabytes services or processes.  And why is this suddenly happening with release 3.1.2 of Malwarebytes?  I have several dozen PCs that I've avoided upgrading and they're all running fine with 3.0 of Malwarebytes.  Surely the services and processes are pretty similar as it relates to SEP's real-time scanning against these different versions of Malwarebytes.  

The files listed in the screenshot are all the ones that need to be excluded.  I don't exclude them because I am having issues, I do it more as being proactive and to avoid any potential conflicts per say.

I can not tell you why its happening as I am not an employee of Malwarebytes, but I do have customers that are having the issue you are seeing.  What I have done to fix them for now is to run the mb-clean tool to get a fresh re-install of MB3 and making sure the exceptions are there.  I too have reported this issue...