Malwarebytes and Avast?

Hello @ChromeDome:

I have seen a student's well used & kept W10x64Pro setup, with reasonable resources, work without incident using the release version of MB3 and the free version of Avast.  Mutual exclusions had also been preemptively entered but I'm not certain they were needed.

Thank you.

@ChromeDome

FYI: [To assist you in making an informed decision.]

I am a User of both Avast & Malwarebytes.

If you install Malwarebytes 1st and try to install Avast it will display a message stating that 'Multiple AV/AM packages are installed and Avast recommend the removal of any other software'.

This is a 'Back covering' message from Avast in case there are any interactions causing crashes etc.

If you install Avast 1st then install Malwarebytes there is no message from Avast. !!!

I have been running Avast & Malwarebytes together on Win 7 Sp1 for years and not had any problem, BUT it is possible for there to be interaction between AV/AM software.

[Please realise that Avast regularly update their software just like Malwarebytes so it is possible for there to be a conflict IF both parties do not explicitly state that they will run together !!!]

AFAIK: Both Avast and Malwarebytes do not state they WILL run together !!!

The risk is yours ...... Just be aware of the possibility there may be a conflict in the future and assess your ability to survive a PC 'Crash/Hang'

I repeat that I DO run both together but I am aware I am taking a risk and ensure that I have regular backups etc to cover me in case there is a problem caused by a 'Crash/Hang' at the 'Wrong' time.

Hope this helps !!!

Me neither, but there is always a 'could' if both companies do not specifically test and confirm they will not.

If Malwarebytes can have difficulty getting 3.x stable for everyone I am sure 2 unconnected S/W companies can 'trip over' each other. 

[Remember we are talking about software running on 'MS Windows' which can trip over 'itself' on a bad day !!! :):) )

Considering the amount of software I installed/de-installed as part of my work when I tested 'builds' for 'roll-outs' etc, and how fine the difference was between working or not working, I am quite impressed at how stable windows can be at best.

Unfortunately, when windows goes 'flakey' it can be a real pain tracking down the exact conflict that breaks the build. :)

I hugely empathise with the support people trying to diagnose the 'problem' with failing installs etc.

[Been there and done that many many years ago :) ]

Edited by PhoneNumberZero
Typo :)

Another positive experience. I run Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium with the free version of Avast 2017 (with a bare-boned installation thereof, using a customised installation and excluding SecureLine VPN, Cleanup, SafeZone Browser, Passwords, SafePrice, Software Updater and Avast Online Security - none of which I feel I need, or are bloatware or I have covered by other software) - they seem to play well together on my Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit setup. 

For extra insurance and following advice given by Malwarebytes staff here, I've added the files below to Avast's exclusions :-

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

I've also added the Avast program folder to Malwarebytes' exclusions. 

Hope this helps.......... 

• 3 weeks later...

When this question was asked, I too would have said I have been running Avast free and MBAM Premium for years without any ill effects... they get along together just fine.
But as of this week, I think it was an Avast update, but now there IS an issue with both running on a system at the same time.
Avast's Behavior Shield keeps turning itself off -for no reason at all.

Through some testing on different computers, I was able to determine that the conflict is between MBAM and Avast, but again, it was since the last Avast program update that this started.

So if you are having any issues between the 2, head over to the Avast forums and report it there.

MBAM-Avast.jpg

Ignore my signature. This is a Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit computer, and the other 2 I tested on are  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

There was 3 or 4 Avast program updates at the end of last week; and the issue I see only started after the last one
Version 17.3.2291 {build 17.3.3443.0}
Release date: 3/30/2017 6:59:59 AM

NissanPower,

Thanks for the post.

Sort of proves the point of my warning of 'Might' conflict.

I have not got this problem BUT did have another 'Transient' one that could not be replicated by Avast.

I agreed to put it down to PEBCAK as I could not prove otherwise !!! :)

[Running Windows 7 Pro Sp1 64-bit + Avast Free 17.3.2291 (Build 17.3.3443.0) + Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.6.1469 (Component Pkg 1.0.69, Update Pkg 1.0.1660+) ]

11 hours ago, NissanPower said:

Ignore my signature. This is a Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit computer, and the other 2 I tested on are  Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

There was 3 or 4 Avast program updates at the end of last week; and the issue I see only started after the last one
Version 17.3.2291 {build 17.3.3443.0}
Release date: 3/30/2017 6:59:59 AM

Yes, I'm running that same version and build of Avast but without any problems to date - fingers crossed.................

• 3 months later...

Avast's Behavior Shield keeps turning itself off -for no reason at all.

I get this too.  I am using MBAM Free 2.2.1.1043.  My workaround is to uninstall Avast 17 in safe mode and then reinstall and load the most recent Avast config.  Behaviour Shield is a sensitive soul and Avast 17 has caused more difficulties than any previous version I have experienced.

There is a problem with Avast Behavior Shield.  Avast is aware of it and will fix it in hopefully in the next release.  There are many questions on their forum regarding their behavior shield. This link is just one of the many about the Behavior Shield. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=205855.0  I run both Avast free with behavior shield and MB3 Premium and have no problems.  Probably I'm one of the lucky ones.  :)

Edited by abuela

On 07/04/2017 at 7:39 AM, TempLost said:

Yes, I'm running that same version and build of Avast but without any problems to date - fingers crossed.................

Since I posted this, a further update of Avast 2017 started to give me problems and, try as I might, I couldn't resolve them. I decided it was time to go back to MSE, as I decided that this, alongside Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium,  CryptoPrevent 8.0 and a regular system backup strategy was adequate protection.

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2017 at 9:17 AM, ChromeDome said:

I read somewhere that Malwarebytes v3.0.6 and Avast don't play well together.

Is there any truth to this?

I have made mutual exclusions in both MB and Avast.

I am working on a customer's Win 7 laptop with Avast installed, and installed Malwarebytes 3.  It ran okay, but then I had problems with Avast, and got a message from Avast that Malwarebytes is not compatible.

If you install Avast first it WILL complain about MB when it is installed.

(The usual line about 'Multiple AV programs' conflicting etc.)

If you install MB first Avast does not complain!!!

With mutual exclusions in each program I have been running both for some time.

I have been able to update both MB and Avast with no problems once they have been installed in the order mentioned.

Currently running Avast 17.7.2314 with MB 3.2.2.2018 with no known conflicts.

(As mentioned in this thread Avast Behavior Shield can sometimes NOT start after a re-boot but can be started via the Avast Shields Control menu.)