Real Time protection keeps turning off

Running Windows 10, with Malwarebytes version  3.0.5.1299. Usually after being on for awhile, I get a popup that a Real Time Protection Layer is turned off, which always turns out to be Web Protection. I've tried the Turn On button on the popup but it doesn't work, the popup just returns. On the Protection tab, once you move the slider, it says starting but then just hangs there. A reboot seems to address this for awhile, but then it comes back.

Is this due to the computer going to sleep or what? I did have some problems in December between Malwarebytes and System Mechanic, but I reinstalled Malwarebytes and all seems to be well, except for this popup. 

Thoughts would be appreciated.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a pretty common issue in this release as several other threads show.  I have a suspicion it might be a hard one to fix as it seems a bit different for different people.  In my case I never have it turn off.  Approx 50% of the time when the computer is booted, web protection starts fine.  Maybe 40% of the time it is off, but clicking "turn on" in the popup fixes it.  Of the remaining 10% or so of the time, 1/2 of the time clicking that button does not work and I have to open the interface and manually turn it on.  The remaining times, even that does not work and I have to quit MB and restart to get it to stay on.  Once on, it is on for good for me. 

But as your description, and other threads show, there are different scenarios for different people.  I hope that does not make it too hard to fix.

2 hours ago, ColoradoGuy said:

Running Windows 10, with Malwarebytes version  3.0.5.1299. Usually after being on for awhile, I get a popup that a Real Time Protection Layer is turned off, which always turns out to be Web Protection. I've tried the Turn On button on the popup but it doesn't work, the popup just returns. On the Protection tab, once you move the slider, it says starting but then just hangs there. A reboot seems to address this for awhile, but then it comes back.

Is this due to the computer going to sleep or what? I did have some problems in December between Malwarebytes and System Mechanic, but I reinstalled Malwarebytes and all seems to be well, except for this popup. 

Thoughts would be appreciated.

I have exactly the same issue, have tried manually turning it on, no joy it just says starting.........

I have malwarebytes version 3.0.6.1469.  Says "Your not fully protected Turn on real time protection layers to block threats".  I turn on, exit, open again and is turned off.  Each time I open is turned off, turn back on, exit, open and is off again.  I keep turning on and it keeps turning off.

Web Protection will not start after my Windows 10 Pro PC is turned off and then restarted. I'm running ver 3.0.6.1469. I try to start Web protection and it sits on "Starting". I have left it for well over 30 minutes and no luck. But if I reboot, I can then set Web Protection to On with no issues.

Hi everyone! If possible, can you please grab some information for us so we can look at what's going on?

1. Open up Malwarebytes 3
  2. Go to Settings -> Application
  3. Turn on Event Log Data
  4. Restart the computer
  5. Open up Malwarebytes
  6. Verify that Web Protection is not turned on
  7. Attempt to turn on Web Protection
  8. Wait 2-3 minutes
  9. Zip up the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs by right clicking the folder and choosing Send To -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
    Note that the ProgramData folder may be hidden. You may need to turn on Showing Hidden Files, or type the path manually

Please upload the zip file that gets created (it should be on your desktop)

Now please run mb-check, which can be downloaded from here: https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3_check. Run this program, which will create a file on your desktop named mb-checkResult.txt. Please upload this file as well.

And lastly, the FRST logs will help as well:

1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
  2. Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  3. Click the Scan button.
  4. When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:
    Addition.txt
    FRST.txt 

I realize this is a lot of information to ask, but it should help us figure out what's going on. If you're able to help with the above instructions, there should be 4 files being uploaded. mb-checkResult.txt, FRST.txt, Additions.txt, zip file of logs folder

I have malwarebytes version 3.0.6.1469.  Says "Your not fully protected Turn on real time protection layers to block threats".  I turn on, exit, open again and is turned off.  Each time I open is turned off, turn back on, exit, open and is off again.  I keep turning on and it keeps turning off.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled 2 or 3 times in last couple of weeks.                On Wednesday 2.1.2017 I did a uninstall in safemode couple hours ago-after about 2 hours now it appears that the real time protection remained on.  I forgot to set the rootkits on so am running scan again. Will see if that changes anything.

On 1/22/2017 at 4:18 PM, SimplyCraig said:

I actually fixed my issues...  It appears my settings disabled the "Enable self-protection module early start."  Enabling this option allowed everything to load up without issue.

This change in settings and a reboot fixed the problem of Self-Protection not starting for me as well. Thanks to SimplyCraig.

Using version 3.0.6.1469 update 1.0.1150

On 1/30/2017 at 9:34 AM, wrj54 said:

Web Protection will not start after my Windows 10 Pro PC is turned off and then restarted. I'm running ver 3.0.6.1469. I try to start Web protection and it sits on "Starting". I have left it for well over 30 minutes and no luck. But if I reboot, I can then set Web Protection to On with no issues.

I changed under Settings > Protection > Delay Protection for: to "On" and set time to 60 seconds. Since then, I have had no issues. Web Protection starts up as expected when the PC is booted up.

Hi,

i was in the same situation until this morning; just think about Winodws 10 anniversary update, which created more security requests than ever. Which is a good thing but sometimes we forget that softwares now need to be installed using administrator rights, so they can modify files and folders, registry entries and other things upon installation.

What i dit:

1. verify that my windows defender was all off (you should have a third party anti virus installed though)
  2. downloaded last version of MBAM
  3. deactivated internet
  4. uninstalled (whith out cleaning remaining files after uninstall)
  5. rebooted my laptop
  6. re-installed with Administrator Rights

Once i did this the realtime website protection never turned off again, before doing this it was a nightmare.

Hope it will work for you too!

Cheers.

Problem still there for me too using the latest version. Upon restart it states Exploit protection is off, enabling it just does nothing other than show that it's 'starting'. I have to exit the program then start it for everything to work.
I don't use enable self protection early start as it interferes with my Norton product & greys out disable auto protect on that software.

13 hours ago, iamfablaz said:

Hi,

i was in the same situation until this morning; just think about Winodws 10 anniversary update, which created more security requests than ever. Which is a good thing but sometimes we forget that softwares now need to be installed using administrator rights, so they can modify files and folders, registry entries and other things upon installation.

What i dit:

1. verify that my windows defender was all off (you should have a third party anti virus installed though)
  2. downloaded last version of MBAM
  3. deactivated internet
  4. uninstalled (whith out cleaning remaining files after uninstall)
  5. rebooted my laptop
  6. re-installed with Administrator Rights

Once i did this the realtime website protection never turned off again, before doing this it was a nightmare.

Hope it will work for you too!

Cheers.

Once you'd reinstalled MBAM did you restart your computer again? All has been OK for me since the latest version until today when I restarted the PC & the problem of protection being off returned.

On 1/30/2017 at 1:37 PM, dcollins said:

Hi everyone! If possible, can you please grab some information for us so we can look at what's going on?

1. Open up Malwarebytes 3
  2. Go to Settings -> Application
  3. Turn on Event Log Data
  4. Restart the computer
  5. Open up Malwarebytes
  6. Verify that Web Protection is not turned on

DCollins,

It's been a few days since I've had this issue, which occurred again tonight. Here is a chronological event history:

Due to the Web Protection turning itself off, I reinstalled Malwarebytes earlier this week. At that point, the Web Protection was turned on, like it should be. Looking through various threads, one suggested enabling the self protection module early start, so I enabled that earlier this week. I thought that was keeping the Web Protection module from turning itself off.

At that point, it ran fine for about 4 days. Computer was on the entire time, did not shut it down, simply was using sleep mode. Then, surprise, tonight it turned off again, and while I tried to start it again, it just hung in limbo. Looking at the forum again, I saw one post that said to try disabling the self-protection mode and see if that helped. So, why not. I tried to disable the self protection mode, and surprise again, I was unable to actually disable the self protection mode. The little bitty button wouldn't slide over.

So, again I removed and reinstalled 3.0.6.1469. After startup, all is working fine, and Web Protection is ON. I was going to follow your steps above to provide you some logs, but stopped at #6, as it seems that you are looking for logs that are showing something that is inhibiting the Web Protection module from starting. As my Malwarebytes is actually working correctly at the moment, I don't think collecting log files would do any good. 

Since enabling self protection module early start didn't seem to fix the problem earlier, I am leaving it turned off for now.

Cheers.

DCollins,

Happened again today. Reboot and was able to turn Web Protection back on. Hope you are able to identify the issue soon. As there are quite a few people experiencing this issue, perhaps it is time to provide a heads-up on the progress (or lack thereof) in identifying the problem.

logs.7z

mb-checkResult.txt

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

This problem cropped up here for the first time today. What fixed it (so far, so good!) was Celee's 2nd option from his/her closed thread:

(1) Under Settings -> Protection, turn on "Enable self-protection module early start". Then reboot and see if your protection module starts up

===============================================================
(2) If that doesn't work, under Settings -> Protection, turn off the option for "Enable self-protection module". Then reboot and see if your protection module starts up.
===============================================================