New update

PCDUMMIE

Hi all as my username suggests I'm clueless as to why when logging in this morning on windows 10 and using Edge a pop up appears saying EXPLOIT ROP GADGET ATTACK BLOCKED and will not let me use the internet, if you know why Please post a simple solution bearing in mind I'm a complete novice . CHEERS.  

I am having the same problem on two machines--a desktop and a laptop. Both are on Windows 10.  Have documented the problem for the laptop. MBAE was previously at version 1.08.1.2572 and got updated to version 1.9.1.1235 on the 28th. October. No problems using the previous version.  I have Edge set to open to Bing. With that setting, I get the error every time I open Edge.  I stopped the protection and set Edge to open to forums.malwarebytes.org ---this site.  I then enabled protection and when I open Edge now, it is fine. But when I select some other sites from the Favourites Bar, some are o.k. but others give the error. See the screenshots attached in zip file. Have also included the contents of C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit.  

MBAE_Files_and_Screenshots.zip

I had already found the reference to the conflict with Trusteer Rapport and followed the work-around and Edge now works as before. If I have to use my online banking, then I use Firefox for that until Malwarebytes fix the issue.  Seems a bit daft to me that knowing of a conflict, they released the new version whereby they cause problems with the users. Would have been more sensible to fix the problem before releasing it!

• Staff

Hello Rtl434,

I do understand your frustration with this. We do have some changes with trusteer that we want to make much like the known conflicts portion for it mentions. These should help with these issues. However, we were not able to get it into this version and will have to be in a future release. 1.09 fixes a lot of other issues which is why we wanted to get it out.  

• Staff

Hello Everyone,

If you have the issue with trusteer and mbae, we will still want to see the logs for this to see some things on our side regarding the issue. If you could please collect the information from this link:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144403-readme-first-posts-here-need-to-include-mbae-logs/

Make sure you do the steps for FRST in number 5 as we want to see that information as well. 

• Staff

Hello Everyone,

If you are having the issue with Edge and the ROP gadget detection's, please try rebooting the computers and see if you still have the issue. We pushed out something and we want to see if it fixes the issue for you. Please let me know if you still have the issue after that or confirm that it fixed it!

Edited by Arthi

4 hours ago, Rsullinger said:

Hello Everyone,

If you are having the issue with IE and the ROP gadget detection's, please try rebooting the computers and see if you still have the issue. We pushed out something and we want to see if it fixes the issue for you. Please let me know if you still have the issue after that or confirm that it fixed it!

It was Edge, not IE, but I seem to no longer have the issue.

Well I checked my desktop and couldn't see anything having been updated---MBAE was still showing the version as 1.9.1.1235. So I uninstalled MBAE, and rebooted the PC.  Downloaded a fresh copy of MBAE and installed it. When I looked at MBAE using the General Tab it was showing 1.9.1.1235 as the version but also showed that I had 26 Blocked Exploit Attempts!! So I uninstalled it again. Downloaded the cleaner and ran that. Rebooted and installed MBAE again. Now it was showing 0 Blocked Exploit Attempts so the cleaner had done the necessary. Edge opened fine and worked o.k.   But when I looked at the Advanced Settings, I found that they were set, not on the defaults, but to the settings to fix the problem for Trusteer Rapport to work.   So I don't know if I ever got what you "pushed out" or not as I was already running those settings to allow Edge to work--and using Firefox for my online banking. Just checked the laptop and can't see anything pushed to that either----the settings were already disabled as per desktop. 

• Staff

Hello RTL434,

What you are seeing is what we pushed out. That is from our dynamic config. We put in place that if we detect trusteer we will disable. What I was having you check mainly to see if the system itself was doing it which it looks like it has in this case. If you already had them then you won't see a change.

• Staff

Hi RTL434,

We pushed out a change to Advanced settings configuration.The build number does not change with this. It seems like you had already disabled the conflicting settings to get Edge to work. This push was mainly to automatically disable it for users while we provide a permanent fix. Thanks for your patience.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, FYI  I was using my laptop earlier and noticed that Trusteer Rapport had updated today to version 1609.107 from 1609.103.  I am running MBAE 1.09.1.1261 with the workaround applied. Went into Settings and set to the defaults. Now working o.k.   Checked my desktop. It had been updated on the 28th but still had the workaround applied as well.  Set those settings to the defaults and it is working fine as well.

On 30/11/2016 at 10:26 PM, RTL434 said:

Hi, FYI  I was using my laptop earlier and noticed that Trusteer Rapport had updated today to version 1609.107 from 1609.103.  I am running MBAE 1.09.1.1261 with the workaround applied. Went into Settings and set to the defaults. Now working o.k.   Checked my desktop. It had been updated on the 28th but still had the workaround applied as well.  Set those settings to the defaults and it is working fine as well.

With those versions of Rapport and MBAE, and the just-released Chrome v55 running under 32-bit Windows 7, I find that Rapport works OK initially, but as I browse from site to site after a while it seems to stop working. Whether that's a Chrome/Rapport or an MBAE/Rapport incompatibility, I couldn't say. As the new version of Rapport has only just been released in response to Chrome v55, it may be that Trusteer haven't yet ironed all the bugs out.