• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators
22 hours ago, nukecad said:

Fair enough, it is fine that JRT just does it's stuff with only the one prompt to proceed.

I was just thinking that if someone runs it daily then the only restore points on their system will be the ones created by JRT each day, as the older ones drop off the bottom of the list.

I wondered if it might be preferable for some users to be able to switch off the JRT restore point creation, and have a few of the older restore points still available, just in case.

As I say it was just a thought.

Ah, got it. As @Aura said, we don't recommend using JRT on a daily basis or from a prevention standpoint. Well, unless you're getting infected every day! :)

2 hours ago, digmorcrusher said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember the last time I used JRT that it does not give the user any choices as to what to remove, anything detected is remove automatically. So if this is the case then I would think its imperative that a restore point is made first in the case any false positives are detected. Giving the user that choice could result in some borked machines if something was deleted that shouldn't be and no restore point was made.

2 hours ago, Aura said:

JRT still doesn't ask for permission to remove what it detects, it removes everything it finds. I think it has always been like that.

Yep, @Aura once again is correct!

3 minutes ago, tacua said:

I ran JRT and it again makes restore points.  I really liked the fact that your program made restore points, often times when I've done a system restore JRT's restore points are the ones that I used.  Thanks for your great products.

Great to hear! Thanks for letting us know. We too are glad @thisisu made JRT!

On 08/10/2016 at 4:19 AM, msherwood said:

......we don't recommend using JRT on a daily basis ....

Yes, but you know what some users are like- "I've got it on the desktop so I'm going to use it".

Then- "well I run various cleaners and things every day, 'just to be safe', and never had a problem"

Then- "please will you take a look at my computer I think something has broken".:P

@Hijin25

We use WMI to validate that the restore point was created successfully and that error message in your screenshot indicates that WMI is broken at the OS level on that machine.  Here is what Microsoft has to say regarding that error:

Errors originating in the core operating system. WMI may return this type of error because of an external failure, for example, DCOM security failure.

Even when the validation fails, a restore point *could* still have been created.  Does the JRT restore point show in System Restore?

• 3 weeks later...

@Gt-truth This error indicates that the Volume Shadow Service on the machine you ran JRT on was not functioning properly.  Because this service is responsible for creating the Volume Shadow Snapshot (the System Restore point), an error would prevent restore points from being created.  Were you able to attempt creating a restore point from the Windows UI?

1 hour ago, jguilbeau said:

@Gt-truth This error indicates that the Volume Shadow Service on the machine you ran JRT on was not functioning properly.  Because this service is responsible for creating the Volume Shadow Snapshot (the System Restore point), an error would prevent restore points from being created.  Were you able to attempt creating a restore point from the Windows UI?

I just know that and this is a good info ! anyway . I just tried to make one system restore point and its there was an error so its not a problem with JRT right ?

CpWz_23906.png

Looks like your system have an issue with the Volume Shadow Copy Service. This isn't related to JRT at all. If I may, I noticed in a lot of your threads that your system is always, always behaving strangely. Maybe you should stop installing every program you see online, uninstalling them, do tweaks, etc. since you pretty much damage your system and it ends up not being a good one to test Malwarebytes products on.

nevermind . Aura I don’t install a program that i do not want it and only install a program’s that I need it to use it. anyway it not necessarily that the problem is due to software installation '' but in some cases this is because Windows files are corrupted or missing and you’re already know some security software it will flagged even a Microsoft windows files and the happens all time with a security software .

@thisisu nevermind my problem got fixed by a repair install of the windows ....

Edited by Gt-truth

• 6 months later...
23 hours ago, Ransan said:

I'm also having the failed restore problem.  Version 8.1.3,  Win7,  Restore point failed  0x80070422, attached zip

jrt.zip

Hi Ransan,

This is the same error code I get if I have system restore turned off. Can you make sure you have it turned on?

Some steps to do this..

Start => Right-mouse click "Computer" => Properties => System Protection

Make sure Local Disk (C:) has protection turned on.

On 9/22/2016 at 8:14 PM, tacua said:

I have been using JRT for quite a while now it is at  Ver 8.0.7.  When I do a scan with the program it says that it is creating a restore point, then success, but when I check my restore points there is none.  I have my computer configured to allow plenty of space to create restore points.  Revo Uninstaller creates them, I can create them, but not JRT.  My computer is running Windows 10/Pro /64-Ver 1607.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

10 hours ago, Ransan said:

Thanks for your reply but I'm new and not sure I'm using the right path to reply to you.  Yes, System Protection is turned on for "C"

Hi,

If you highlight the operating system drive (typically C:), and select "Create", are you able to create a restore point?

On 9/22/2016 at 8:14 PM, tacua said:

I have been using JRT for quite a while now it is at  Ver 8.0.7.  When I do a scan with the program it says that it is creating a restore point, then success, but when I check my restore points there is none.  I have my computer configured to allow plenty of space to create restore points.  Revo Uninstaller creates them, I can create them, but not JRT.  My computer is running Windows 10/Pro /64-Ver 1607.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

What a surprise to see this post re-started.

Ransan I don't know if you deleted the old version and got a new copy of JRT, that might help.  I also use ADW Cleaner, I used it before MB acquired it and still use it, have you tried it? 

I think I read in your posts that Revo is creating restore points, have you tried doing a manual restore point since you noticed the problem?  If you can, I'd make a restore point before running JRT.  When I originally had my problem some of the problem traced back to the meshing of Windows with JRT (I think, so long ago).  I also noticed in a post by someone that they suggested running a SFC scan using command prompt in your administrator account, have you tried that? 

Sorry can't be more help, good luck! 

• 3 months later...