Running New Laptop with Windows 10 and Norton 360

I have just recently brought a new replacement laptop running Windows 10 / 64 bit and subscribed to Norton 360. I then installed the free trial Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I now get the prompt that the trial is about to expire.

I am considering upgrading to the Pro version, but it appears you need to pay for a yearly subscription. I thought there was a lifetime subscription?

I also need to know if there is any issue with my Windows 10 and Norton 360 that I need to know about before I upgrade. I use MailWasher, MS Outlook with Office suite, Chrome and Firefox browser. 

Thanks in advance

Hi Vatu

You have already tested it out, but still want a confirmation on compatibility.. MBAM is meant to supplement & work alongside AV's..

On licensing, as far as I know, there are no lifetime licenses, but you may wait for confirmation by the MB staff..

BTW how did you get Norton 360? Symantec has quite some time back itself revamped all their security plans and the basic pack is 'Norton Internet Security', which you need to check with their website, for getting proper product support..

We have many users with the combination of Windows 10 & Norton + MBAM  browse around - enjoy your new pc :) 

You get  support either here or email if you have an issue with exceptions that you might need in the programs.  We have a pinned topic in here https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/10138-common-questions-issues-and-their-solutions/page-1#entry215158

Hello and :welcome: , @Vatu:

@sman is correct.
Sale of MBAM lifetime consumer licenses officially ended in March 2014.
A few legitimate resellers continued to sell out their remaining stock for a while after that.
However, all of those licenses are long gone.
Any such license available on the internet or via other sources now would be a scam, ESPECIALLY if it were for more than 1 PC (there never was a multi-PC lifetime license).

As far as compatibility with Norton, yes, MBAM Premium is designed to run alongside all of the popular AVs.
But each computer is unique.
Some users like to pro-actively set mutual exclusions between MBAM and their AV.
Let us know if you would like help doing so.

>>Otherwise, if you need any sort of helping installing, upgrading or running MBAM, it would help us to know a bit more about your system. 

Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thank you for your interest and support,

Hi, @yardbird:

You wrote:

Actually, that link is 7 years old and is not quite current. :(

@Vatu:

It's generally unnecessary to set mutual exclusions on most systems these days. ;)

If you wish to do so proactively, please post back and we will assist you.

Thanks,

BTW how did you get Norton 360? Symantec has quite some time back itself revamped all their security plans and the basic pack is 'Norton Internet Security', which you need to check with their website, for getting proper product support..

Hi sman

I subscribed just over 2 months ago from the Norton website for a 2 year subscription. I previously had Norton One, and it gave me the option to upgrade to Norton 360 Premier.

I have just been looking at the yearly subscription cost AUS$34.95. When you add up all the other yearly subscriptions I have, the cost does add up. If it was only $10 per year, I would definitely subscribe. What do people suggest the pros and cons for subscription versus just using the free version of MAM? My laptop is mainly for home use.

@daledoc1

the site is 7 yrs old. It was just an example Section A https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/10138-common-questions-issues-and-their-solutions/page-1#entry215158

good day

@yardbird:

It's not the "site" that is the issue.

The link you posted is to a 7-year-old FAQ pinned topic for MBAM version 1.x.

The instructions for setting mutual exclusions in version 1.x are not longer applicable for version 2.x.

There is no current pinned topic here in the forum for doing so with version 2.x.

But we can assist the OP with doing so, if desired.

Thank you,

Hi:

I have just been looking at the yearly subscription cost AUS$34.95. When you add up all the other yearly subscriptions I have, the cost does add up. If it was only $10 per year, I would definitely subscribe. What do people suggest the pros and cons for subscription versus just using the free version of MAM? My laptop is mainly for home use.

The Free version is only a manual, on-demand scanner to help REMOVE infection that has made it past your AV onto the computer.

If you want to add the layered, complementary, real-time protection to help PREVENT non-viral malware often missed by your AV, then you need the paid, Premium version.

There is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction.

And there is a 2-year option for the MBAM Consumer license, to lock-in the rate.

The cost works out to a few pennies a day or less per computer and is much cheaper than recovery from a malware meltdown, data breach or identity theft.

JMHO as a home user with no $$ interest,

Hi:

@Vatu:

EDIT: As per @sman's post, Norton is globally rolling out new consumer products.  See here

We could probably better assist you -- including helping to determine whether you have a valid, legit Norton product installed, rather than a "fake" or rogue -- if you could please provide a bit of basic system info.

If you wish, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thanks,

We could probably better assist you -- including helping to determine whether you have a valid, legit Norton product installed, rather than a "fake" or rogue -- if you could please provide a bit of basic system info.

If you wish, please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Can you advise how to upload / attach the file results, as I cannot seem to find a upload or attach button? Thanks

post-197756-0-12567600-1452757267_thumb.FRST.txtAddition.txtCheckResults.txt

EDIT: As per @sman's post, Norton is globally rolling out new consumer products.  See here

Thanks,

Thanks @sman re how to upload / attach the file results

@daledoc1 - please find attached files as requested... I have also attached a snapshot of my Norton product, which still has 662 days left to run... I purchased it from the same retail store as the laptop. I know I have an legit Norton product, and everything else seem OK. So I just need to decide whether to go with a paid subscription or free... your comment @daledoc1 on the "The cost works out to a few pennies a day or less per computer and is much cheaper than recovery from a malware meltdown, data breach or identity theft." has convinced me to subscribe... thanks in advance 

Norton 360 and Malwarebytes Premium should run together just fine, if you have issues or conflicts just follow the instructions below to add mutual exclusions.

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32 bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 & Windows 8 & Windows 10:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7 / 8 & 10:
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamdor.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbampt.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamresearch.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware \mbamscheduler.exe
Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE, MBAMSERVICE.EXE and MBAMRESEARCH.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.