Does "Endpoint Security" replace my existing Anti-virus application?

From Malwarebytes:

"Malwarebytes’ focus is on zero day threats and attacks. Our specific goal is to block and/or remediate malware  which includes; spyware, ransomware, PUP’s, known & unknown exploits and others that infect endpoints. We do not protect against traditional virus’ and find that it is still important to have some type of an anti-virus in place."

From Malwarebytes:

"Malwarebytes’ focus is on zero day threats and attacks. Our specific goal is to block and/or remediate malware  which includes; spyware, ransomware, PUP’s, known & unknown exploits and others that infect endpoints. We do not protect against traditional virus’ and find that it is still important to have some type of an anti-virus in place."

Is there anything special to configure so that the existing AV solutions dont fight with it ?

• 3 weeks later...

From Malwarebytes:

"We do not protect against traditional virus’ and find that it is still important to have some type of an anti-virus in place."

Can somebody give me an example of a "traditional virus" that I should be worried about?

• Root Admin

Well these file infector viruses are still out there and can devastate a system.

Expiro
Ramnit
Virut

We block and prevent all known droppers for these but obviously there is always a possibility that someone could build a dropper that we're not aware of just as they possibly could against your antivirus as well.

Encrypting your data is one of the current most common threats as it's been a good money maker for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

May I ask you to help me figure out our level of protection?

On 9.3.2017 at 10:48 PM, djacobson said:

The consumer side's Malwarebytes version 3.0 is an AV replacement. The business side bundle is not an AV replacement yet. It is best to maintain a layered approach to your environments security and keep a good AV around.

Is that an official Malwarebytes statement? 

I had a support case a while ago where I was assured that the technologies behind provide the same level of protection for business and consumer versions. The consumer version combines the 4 protection technologies under one hood but still whats happening in the background would be the same. It was a while ago though. I can vaguely remember that a letter from the CEO has been forwareded, where the Malwarebytes strategy was explained. Have things changed since then?

If for the business environment Malwarebytes, Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware is installed, then 4 protection technologies are applied - Malwarebytes offers 2, makes 4 in total. I see the same 4 in the consumer (premium) version. Is there a difference or not?

Quote from https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2016/12/announcing-malwarebytes-3-0-a-next-generation-antivirus-replacement/: "Our engineers have spent the last year building this product from the ground up and have combined our Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection, and Remediation technologies all into a single product which we simply call “Malwarebytes.”". Does that mean there are new technologies combined or existing?

Should I install mbar as well from the "unmanaged" folder? That makes 5 protection technologies in total.

We are using Windows 10 and Defender is active - as anti-virus solution, which as I understand is not covered by Malwarebytes (and today not really number 1 threat anymore). Do you mean that with a "good AV around"?

Quote from the same blog: "For many of you, this is something you already know, since over 50% of our customers already run Malwarebytes as their sole security software, without any third-party antivirus."

I read that the "traditional" AV manufacturers are more and more announcing they close down their development. I heared some voices that running a third party AV may open for  attack vectors and it may be less secure with third party AV than without. I thought that the combination of WIn 10 Defender and Malwarebytes would be the best I can get today. Any comments on that?

Questions:

1) Protection technology Malwarebytes Endpoint (business) vs Malwareybytes 3 (consumer)?

2) mbar?

3) Win 10 Defender + Malwarebytes = way to go?

Edited by ChrisHaag

• Root Admin

I'm sorry @ChrisHaag , not sure who you spoke with and when. Back in the 1.75 version both Consumer and Business did offer the same protections, however, that has not been true for a while now. The business license is not supported using the Consumer version of the product. At this time the business version is 1.8 that you would install.

We are working hard on getting the business version of 3.x available for the business. I'm sorry but I don't have a release date at this time.

1. Currently, the business version of Malwarebytes is 1.8x vs. 3.x

2. There is a standalone version of Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit if needed but there is built-in rootkit scanning in Malwarebytes 1.8

3. It should be an effective solution.

Thank you

Ron

Thanks for your reply. That provides a clear picture to me!

We can't wait to have Malwarebytes 3 in a business environment controlled by the very nice Management Console. And please offer a local Management Console as well, not just a cloud solution. 

Keep up the great work...!