Why Did My Computer Force Shut Down By Itself?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello John,

I did the MB full scan and everything looked good. I downloaded the Windows Defender Offline from my laptop to a cd. When I try to open the program, it wants to use a clean cd to burn the program to.

I have been trying to reboot the machine with the software in place and I am getting nowhere. I went back to the WDO website and looked at the FAQ's and they give me all different keys to reboot such as F10 or F12.

What to do?

Anne

With the Windows Defender, you don't burn the program itself to a CD.  What you do is run the Defender tool, and then it will create the necessary files directly on your new disc, USB drive, or as an ISO file that you can later burn to disc (I'm posting this here just in case someone else reads the topic, not necessarily because I think you did it incorrectly - so if you did it like this then read on to the next part :D )

The next step is getting your computer to boot into a mode that you can either change the way your computer boots, or else a boot menu of sorts.  Normally, computers are set to try to boot from the CD first, and then the HD, but for USB drives / UFDs, you have to tell the computer that you want to boot off of it specifically via a boot menu.

I've gone through the entire thread again, but I don't see a full HP model number.  The info I've found is that for someHP machines, pressing F9 at boot will tell the BIOS to open the boot menu so you cn boot off the CD / USB HD / UFD.  That may or may not work for you.  Give it a try, and if you do not get a boot menu, post back with your full model number (NOT SERIAL NUMBER) and we'll see how we can get you into a boot menu to boot off the disc.

Hello John,

I will erase the disc to prep it for download again. I misinterpreted the instructions. My machine's model number is DC5800. If I get stuck in the BIOS mode as I did before, I will go to my laptop and get help from there.

I also want to thank you and of course everyone else that has assisted me so far.

Anne

My pleasure - and I'm sure I speak for all the other respondents in this thread when I say their pleasure as well.

I just verified - hitting F9 as soon as the computer starts to boot will get you a boot menu where you can manually choose your device to boot from.

Actually the F12 key worked to get me to the BIOS menu. I did everything according to what the WDO told me to do and my machine should have restarted with the media. Why is my machine still online when the program is supposed to work offline?

Instead of going into the BIOS and changing a lot of options that might make things not work correctly, F9 loads only a boot menu allowing you to pick which device to boot off of for this one session.  It's why I said use F9 and not anything else.

Okay John. You have a I told you so coming to you (wink). I used the F9 key and after I rebooted, I had a 2 second window of opportunity to press any key to start with the disc. My machine is now getting a full scan.

I don't mind telling you that at this point I considered it a personal challenge to not let the WDO get the better of me.

I will come back and tell you what the scan finds (nothing I hope).

Lol - My last post *was* it - nothing further out of me.  :P

Good luck with the scan - hope to hear really positive news (as in not a darned thing found).

You'd be surprised how many fumbles I made when things like this were not common knowledge to me.  Experience has been a great teacher to (and for) me, but I've broken many a thing trying ot get things working again on my own.

We're just trying to save you headaches further down the road - hopefully this will all be nothing.

Hello all,

When I started this thread, I had no idea that it would span over four pages of conversation. This saga has a happy ending. I have a clean machine and I even learned a thing or two along the way. Thanks to all.

Anne

• 2 weeks later...

Hello CWB,

My machine started up normally with no problems at all. As you can see, by the rest of the message thread, this has happened before. I was just wondering if there was a keyboard shortcut to shut things down. If not I am not going to do anything right now.

Anne

what you are saying (then) is that it was just as if you had , for all purposes and intent , performed a normal manual shutdown ?

there are a few ways to use the keyboard to shut down windows ...

it depends on the OS , how things are "set up" and other items .

here is a little information on a couple of ways this can be done :

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/160096-hotkey-shutdown-immediately.html

using your google-foo ... recon "keyboard command shutdown windows 7" (or the OS you are using) .

Hello CWB,

I read through the Seven Forum message link you gave me. I don't see myself as accidently doing the keys mentioned there. This is a very long thread @ 4 pages long.

Unless the forced shutdown happens again, I will take a wait and see approach for now.

Thanks,

Anne