Context menu entry not showing

My context menu to Scan using Malwarebytes does not show when I right click on a file name. I do see an entry to Scan using Spybot Searc & Destroy.

I do not know if this has ever worked, but it has not worked the the last 4 versions if MB.

I do have this option enabled in Settings. I have tried setting to off and on, reloading the program, and rebooting my system. All with the same results. Even tried uninstalling my AntiVir. Still no luck getting a context menu item for MB to show.

MB seems to be updating and running fine. MB is great , but does anyone have any ideas what I can check on my system? It is a AMD3800, 2 GB of memory running XP pro with all the MS updates.

Thanks,

Robot

I have MBAM context menu back as somehow it was disabled by ShellExView but now I have the Chinese characters in the Status Bar when I hover the mouse over MBAM's scan:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

I remember now trying find out why the funny characters appeared in the Status bar.

ShellExView's a good tool (I love Niri's stuff :o ). Autoruns can do the same thing. I remember the issue with the Chinese characters, I don't think the devs ever quite nailed down why it happened but I believe one of them commented that it had to do with one of the runtime files they used and that it would be fixed once MBAM was recoded in C (no idea when that will be though).

>>>[Please try running this command and reboot the computer and see if it works or not.

START - RUN and type in or copy/paste

CODE

REGSVR32 C:\PROGRA~1\MALWAR~1\mbamext.dll

>>>You should get a RegSvr32 succeeded dialog box.

This is the response I received from running the command.

post-4318-1239162297_thumb.jpg

post-4318-1239162297_thumb.jpg

Please try following the instructions here and see if that fixes it but make sure to back up your license info if using the paid version before you do, because it will delete it.

I followed your instructions and did everything according to the directions, but I still have the same problem, no context menu item for Malwarebytes. I did not receive any errors while doing the the instructed steps and Malwarebytes v 1.36 installed and ran perfectly, just no context menu item.

I will be happy to try anything you suggest as it is very easy for me to image my entire Drive C in about 10minutes before I start so I don't mind trying drastic steps!

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Arg. OK, what other security software are you running (anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware etc)? Anything other than Avira?

This is basically the same thing AdvancedSetup had you do before, but lets see if it works this time. Click Start and click on Run then copy and paste the following into the run box and hit Enter:

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll"

note: If you installed MBAM to a non-default directory or your Program Files folder isn't on your C: drive then you need to alter the command accordingly, if you need help with this part let me know.

Arg. OK, what other security software are you running (anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware etc)? Anything other than Avira?

This is basically the same thing AdvancedSetup had you do before, but lets see if it works this time. Click Start and click on Run then copy and paste the following into the run box and hit Enter:

regsver32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll"

note: If you installed MBAM to a non-default directory or your Program Files folder isn't on your C: drive then you need to alter the command accordingly, if you need help with this part let me know.

I have not changed the install directory for MBAM. It is in C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

I ran the above command, regsver32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll" and here is the error I received:

post-4318-1239315116_thumb.jpg

I am not using the Tea Timer in Spybot S&D and I do not have any firewall, or antivirus software running.

I did a search for regsver* and regsver32 on my system and nothing was found.

Rob

post-4318-1239315173_thumb.jpg

post-4318-1239315116_thumb.jpg

post-4318-1239315173_thumb.jpg

Alright, I've done a bit more homework and discovered this may have to do with permissions on a registry key.

• Click on Start and click Run
  • In the Run box type "regedit" without the quotes and press Enter
  • Browse to the following key (if it exists, if it doesn't let me know):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt

• Once you find it (if it's present) right click on it and select Permissions
  • Once the permissions dialogue appears, make sure that SYSTEM and Administrators have the check marks in the boxes next to Full Control and Read.

Let me know how it goes.

Alright, I've done a bit more homework and discovered this may have to do with permissions on a registry key.
  • Click on Start and click Run

• In the Run box type "regedit" without the quotes and press Enter

• Browse to the following key (if it exists, if it doesn't let me know):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\MBAMExt.MBAMShlExt
  • Once you find it (if it's present) right click on it and select Permissions

• Once the permissions dialogue appears, make sure that SYSTEM and Administrators have the check marks in the boxes next to Full Control and Read.

Let me know how it goes.

The only entry I have is mbam.script

Thanks for all your help so far.