Strange 32 bit XP issue!

I have a strange issue, and see that it has been reported before. However, the topic is locked.

I did d/l the DDS software and have the files.

My problem is strange. I get Malwarebytes running and when it goes to check the files it can take a minute per file! It would take all month at that rate. System is VERY unresponsive and I, too, get "not responding" in task manager. However, yesterday I used REVO to uninstall it, and I rebooted and d/l the software again. It then ran the whole scan in 40 minutes! OH, I turn off NIS 2013, but that should not matter. 

Today, I tried it again (NIS disabled), and I was back to the slow, almost hung, status...Here is the result of my DDS...

DDS.txt

Attach.txt

• Root Admin

Difficult to say for sure and the DDS log did not provide enough information to know for sure but something is going on according to the Event Logs.

==== Event Viewer Messages From Past Week ========.10/7/2013 2:16:37 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7016]  - The BrSplService service has reported an invalid current state 0.10/2/2013 6:07:52 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7032]  - The Service Control Manager tried to take a corrective action (Restart the service) after the unexpected termination of the Norton Internet Security service, but this action failed with the following error:  An instance of the service is already running.10/2/2013 6:05:52 PM, error: Service Control Manager [7031]  - The Norton Internet Security service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.10/1/2013 9:10:08 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7009]  - Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the Acronis Sync Agent Service service to connect.10/1/2013 9:10:08 AM, error: Service Control Manager [7000]  - The Acronis Sync Agent Service service failed to start due to the following error:  The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion..==== End Of File ===========================

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks

I turned off advanced heuristics and it ran. I also disabled NIS2013. I then tried it again and it slowed down even on txt files. I do not believe I have a virus and wonder if 1 GB memory is OK any more. I am only using 32 bit XP, but I am not sure it would be worth spending money to upgrade to 4GB.

• Root Admin

Please try the following and let us know if it helps resolve the issue.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton Internet Security:

• Open Norton Internet Security and click on Settings at the top
  • Click on Computer Settings
  • Click Configure [+] to the right of Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR
  • Click Add
  • Make sure that Include subfolders is checked in the small Add Item window
  • Click the small folder icon to the right of the blank white space
  • In the Browse for Folder window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files
  • Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to highlight it and click on OK
  • Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Repeat steps 4-9 for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • Once you have all of those items in your list, click on Apply then click on OK to close that window and then click Apply and OK to close the Settings window
  • Close the Norton Internet Security window

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Set Exclusions for Norton Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Norton Internet Security and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

To get an accurate scan time difference you would have to reboot the computer between scans.... due to the windows caching of files.  Malwarebytes scan times will decrease between scans (if you don't reboot) because windows has already read the files and they are in the cache....

Hope that makes sense....