Mbam 1.7 update

First off, I'd like to know what the issue is with this thing asking to restart the computer on 2 of my boxes and NOT the other 5 and now I have an issue on computer #8 updating where none of the tabs in Mbam work, which makes it totally useless!

These program updates are/have gotten to be totally and stupidly ridiculous!! Almost scared to death to update this thing, especially since that fiasco a while back where it screwed up network connections and basically made whole computer useless! Do you people actually test this crap?!

I have uninstalled Mbam twice manually and then ran that stupid mbam cleanup tool also on third uninstall. Downloaded a fresh copy of Mbam after each install also. Still the same issue where I can't click the tabs at the top of Mbam. That's a lie. I can click them all day, but they do absolutely nothing!

Thank you

Hi cork1958 :)

I can answer a couple of your questions.

First off the reason why MBAM requires a reboot on those 2 computers is because it replaces the logo for the right click scanning. Windows sometimes is using certain files so therefore a reboot maybe needed.

You can't edit your post until you have made 50 posts. We've had a few bad eggs abuse this so that's why this is necessary.

• Staff

cork1958,

Please help us help you. We tested 1.70 extensively and you only reported an issue with one computer. We appreciate the feedback, but please give us some details so we have something to work with. OS? Security software installed? Hardware specifications? Is this computer experiencing any other issues?

These program updates are/have gotten to be totally and stupidly ridiculous!! Almost scared to death to update this thing, especially since that fiasco a while back where it screwed up network connections and basically made whole computer useless! Do you people actually test this crap?!
You are certainly welcome to use other programs in place of ours, but you seem to have a continued interest in using our product. We try very hard to make it not "crap."

We want to help you very much.

Hi cork1958 :)

I can answer a couple of your questions.

First off the reason why MBAM requires a reboot on those 2 computers is because it replaces the logo for the right click scanning. Windows sometimes is using certain files so therefore a reboot maybe needed.

You can't edit your post until you have made 50 posts. We've had a few bad eggs abuse this so that's why this is necessary.

It replaced the logo on all 8 computers (obviously) so still seems ridiculous that only 2 out of 8 computers needed a reboot. I see no reason why a program that does not start automatically with Windows would EVER require a reboot and even if Mbam tried to start automatically with Windows, I would disable that junk!!

cork1958,

Please help us help you. We tested 1.70 extensively and you only reported an issue with one computer. We appreciate the feedback, but please give us some details so we have something to work with. OS? Security software installed? Hardware specifications? Is this computer experiencing any other issues?

You are certainly welcome to use other programs in place of ours, but you seem to have a continued interest in using our product. We try very hard to make it not "crap."

We want to help you very much.

The machine that is having the installation issue is Winodws 7 Ultimate with just Avast anti virus running and even that has been disabled on one of the reinstallation attempts. Hardware should not matter. It's just a plane jane computer, that is VERY clean and has NO other issues. I KNOW what I'm doing on a computer!

You have to figure that if this update affected "only" 1 out of 8 of my computers, what would 1 out of every 8 computers that Mbam is installed on in the world equate to?

Yes, I have a continued interest in Mbam as it is a very good program which along with SuperAntiSpyware, is just about guaranteed to remove ALL the nasties. Just ask any of my over 3,000 customers!! :)

Thank you

Hello cork1958,

It replaced the logo on all 8 computers (obviously) so still seems ridiculous that only 2 out of 8 computers needed a reboot. I see no reason why a program that does not start automatically with Windows would EVER require a reboot and even if Mbam tried to start automatically with Windows, I would disable that junk!!

The logo replacement is for the context menu icon replacement. There isn't a clean way for Windows to update the icon cache so a reboot will fix that with no issue.

The machine that is having the installation issue is Winodws 7 Ultimate with just Avast anti virus running and even that has been disabled on one of the reinstallation attempts. Hardware should not matter. It's just a plane jane computer, that is VERY clean and has NO other issues. I KNOW what I'm doing on a computer!

For computer #8 (the one having the issue)

Please post an mbam-check log:

Create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next reply

Thank you very much.

If there isn't a clean way to replace the logo without a reboot, then why did that happen on only 2 computers and not the other 5? That just proves that reply is a bunch of bull!

I will do that mbam check the next time I'm on that computer which won't be for another day or two. As of this moment, Mbam is not installed on it. Do I need to try and install it first and if Mbam does not work correctly, then run that tool? That machine has been thoroughly cleaned of Mbam with your mbam removal tool, crapcleaner and another registry checking program I have, so there should be NO trace of Mbam on it.

If there isn't a clean way to replace the logo without a reboot, then why did that happen on only 2 computers and not the other 5? That just proves that reply is a bunch of bull!

Windows Explorer is pretty temperamental about it, though typically the reason is simple. If you've never used the right-click Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware option, then the DLL will not be loaded into Windows Explorer so it can be replaced without requiring a system restart. If you have used it, then it is loaded into the explorer.exe process, thus a reboot is required.

Either way, the product itself, including protection, is fully functional after such an upgrade, even if a reboot is needed to replace that file.

Nope, have NEVER used the right click method on any of my machines.

That's alright, it's still quite possible that for whatever reason, Explorer had the DLL loaded, which is why a reboot would be required to replace the file. As I said, Windows Explorer can be quite temperamental (we experimented with countless methods to try and make it unload reliably without requiring a reboot and found none that worked consistently).

• Root Admin

OK. All installed and still not functioning correctly. Here's your check log.

Okay I'll will go ahead and close the topic here on the forum and assist you with this via email on the Help Desk.

Please open a ticket on the Help Desk and ask for me and I will assist you with this further.

Please reference this topic in your request

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=120326

Also note that on this computer you provided a log for is running a Registry cleaner which in many cases causes much more harm than any perceived good and by every security expert out there pretty much is considered Snake Oil and should not be used. I will attempt to help you fix this computer if possible though.

Thank you.