Microsoft patent spies on consumers to enforce DRM

ShyWriter

screenhunter02nov081811.gif

Microsoft patent spies on consumers to enforce DRM

Summary: Microsoft has been granted a patent that makes sure consumers are paying for content.

By Charlie Osborne for Between the Lines

November 8, 2012 -- 11:11 GMT (03:11 PST)

A new patent application filed by Microsoft and granted by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office details a content distribution system which uses cameras to detect whether or not you've been paying for your content.

spy08120coso.jpg

Credit: CNET

The patent, US20120278904, works as a surveillance mechanism, inbuilt within devices including television sets, computers, smartphones and tablets in order to enforce digital rights management (DRM). In other words, if you're streaming content without a license, it can be detected -- and your media stream cut off.

The patent summary reads:

"A content presentation system and method allowing content providers to regulate the presentation of content on a per-user-view basis. Content is distributed an associated license option on the number of individual consumers or viewers allowed to consume the content. Consumers are presented with a content selection and a choice of licenses allowing consumption of the content.

The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken."

Although an infrared camera may not be the only method of detection, and technology including Microsoft's Kinect, controllers and "facial recognition techniques" could be used, the patent continues by stating that DRM can further be enforced by "determining at least a number of users within a display area of a display device for a duration of the presentation exceeding a threshold." In other words, if a license only covers one individual viewing and you're watching a film with friends or family, content simply won't play.

patentmicosoftspyingonsumers.jpg

The patent also mentions that age and identity can be detected in relation to whether a viewer is authorized to see particular content. The technology can also enforce time frames that users are allowed to see media.

The technology is designed to work with streamed content, downloaded material and media stored in either removable or irremovable storage systems. These include "RAM, ROM, EEPROM, flash memory or other memory technology, CD-ROM, DVD or other optical disk storage, magnetic cassettes, magnetic tape, magnetic disk storage or other magnetic storage devices."

From a DRM perspective, the patent is rather smart, and makes sense in order to prevent consumers from exploiting the terms of their content licenses. However, when technology in the home can detect how many people are present, their ages and potentially store their facial profiles, if this is made commercial, it's unlikely the latest privacy intrusion will go down well with the general public.

SOURCE: http://www.zdnet.com...drm-7000007102/

Steve

Not in my house. If this gets implemented, I'll be watching out for public lists of devices that support this function and will deliberately avoid purchasing them.

Me too.

• Root Admin

The patent also mentions that age and identity can be detected in relation to whether a viewer is authorized to see particular content.

That right there should be a RED FLAG to make one curious how they would know the age of the user without physically spying by camera and what? guess the users age?

Using logon or credit card to ensure age is a useless method so they must be doing something else.

Perhaps what we REALLY need is a review of the Patent Office and have it get up to speed with today's technology and quit giving companies patents for junk like this.

Not in my house. If this gets implemented, I'll be watching out for public lists of devices that support this function and will deliberately avoid purchasing them.

Couldn't agree more, exile360. I would surmise that with Microsoft making such a blatent invasion into consumers' privacy...I would have doubts as to lists of devices supporting the function being provided to the general public. IMHO, it seems more likely they would endeavor to keep such intel secret...at least for as long as they can. I'd also not be surprised to see lawsuits arise over this as well. As anyone whose ever worked in the intel field is aware, we already have certain agencies (including the "spooks") monitoring nearly everything as it is.

I would further venture to say this "patent" obtained by Microsoft very likely has the not-so-subtle blessing of those very aforementiioned agencies. Another surveillance method to be exploited...all in the name of Homeland Security. Watch and see.

(For Steve): Thanks very much for bringing this to everyone's attention!

Regards to everyone,

Eagleeye