What AV brand were you using when you got infected?

Somethngcreative

Best Antivirus- the lower the better  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I bought my laptop 4 years ago, I started with AVG 7.5. Then I switched to Eset Nod 32, together with Online Armor firewall, and at the moment I'm using AIS. So far, I didn't get an infection (touch wood) but I strongly believe in a layered protection (as recommended by our security experts) so I also have WinPatrol, MBAM Pro, KeyScrambler and SpywareBlaster installed, together with WOT, APB and NoScript for Firefox.

Oh wow I missed so many AV programs lol :lol: my apologies . However, it seems like Mcafee isn't too reliable so far, which correlates with my experience while using their products... I actually lost two laptops because of a virus that Mcafee could't stop.

Nevertheless, I also believe in a layered security. My current set up is Avast 6 Internet Security + Mbam Pro with no script add on for Mozilla Firefox (per recommendation of the staff here in Mbam) and So far, I have yet to encounter any type of virus or malware since I've had that set up. However, I think it depends largely on how well the user takes care of their comp.. i.e. do they keep everything up to date? what kind of stuff do they download?

But the question is, what AV were you using back when you did get infected?

Well even then I don't think I got infected, at least it has been a long time! I do not even remember the last time.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have worked on many computers and they have had different AV's on them.

So all can be hit just the same in my book.

Agree with Firefox. Also depends on if the A/V was fully updated and currently "running active".

I have not been "Infected" for ages, since I always daily update everything to do with my AV.

Comparisons (like this) do not always ask if you had the latest version and latest updates.

But they do give you the reminder to always update and not use older versions.

Just my view on it - (I did not vote, as I did not have an "active AV" last time I got infected) ;)

I know this poll isn't a proper random sampling BUT ... I use McAfee and I got a virus, so in my little world it is a reality.

Thanks for doing this poll. Maybe I'll switch to Kaspersky (it looks like no one is getting infected with it at the moment).

It also depends on your current setup. Not every av or security program will get along perfectly on every system(aside from Malwarebytes which does and strives at this ;) ). :) Things such as how the computer utilizes the memory by placing things in the register rather the stack/heap may cause problems etc.

I've only had it happen twice, one with AVG and once with Avira - both a long time ago and before I found out about MBAM. These days with downloads I would scan with both my AV and MBAM, Hitman Pro and if it's a small file I'll just upload it to Virustotal.

I don't know how meaningful this is since it keeps changing though. There was a time when AVG was good, then it became common opinion that it's useless, and there are good reviews for the 2012 version now..?

I don't know how meaningful this is since it keeps changing though. There was a time when AVG was good, then it became common opinion that it's useless, and there are good reviews for the 2012 version now..?

I don't remember AVG ever being worth using, but there have always been good reviews for it. It has gotten worse in recent years though...