MSE and MBAM

The two work very well together, just follow these instructions to avoid any conflicts or performance issues between them:

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 32 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Browse... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on the Add button

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Microsoft Security Essentials on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Excluded processes on the left
  3. Click on the Browse... button
  4. Click on the + next to your primary hard drive (usually C:)
  5. Click on the + next to Program Files (x86)
  6. Click on the + next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  7. Click once on mbam.exe and click on OK
  8. Repeat steps 3-7 for the following files:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click on the Add button

[*]Click on Save at the bottom and click Continue if prompted

[*]Close Microsoft Security Essentials

Set Exclusions for Microsoft Security Essentials 2.x in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Microsoft Security Client and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Aren't mbam.sys and mbamswissarmy.sys (located in Windows\System32\Drivers) also supposed to be added to the "Excluded Files & Locations" tab?

this depends, if you have windows 64bit edition the location is different, and you can add them as well, it will not hurt anything....

Actually, I run XP Pro SP3 (32 bit) but I could've sworn that I'd seen instructions on this site to add the two .sys files to excluded locations within MSE...

(In any case I have them excluded and everything is running smoothly.)

Glad to hear all is running smoothly....

Since you have windows XP Pro SP3 (32 bit), then you are correct they are located in the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder.

I enter exclusions for all MBAM files in all anti-virus programs I install including those two files (even if there is no conflicts) just to be on the safe side (pro active maintenance if you will....)

Yes, and those instructions were created just after the first version of MSE was released when the freeze on boot/slow performance issue was first discovered, then, through more extensive testing, we discovered that only MBAM's 3 exe's needed to be excluded in order to avoid the freezing/slow performance.

Yes, and those instructions were created just after the first version of MSE was released when the freeze on boot/slow performance issue was first discovered, then, through more extensive testing, we discovered that only MBAM's 3 exe's needed to be excluded in order to avoid the freezing/slow performance.

Thanks, I appreciate the info and the update. B)

Add the following two files to this list (64-bit users will not find the mbamswissarmy.sys file in the System32 folder, and will not need to add it):

• C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

This item is over 12 months old and the program has been altered in the last year - Please note any newer instructions -

The diagrams are not always updated, but are checked to ensure they still cover all problems -

Thanks, I appreciate the info and the update. B)

No problem :). We do plan on doing some major updates to our FAQ in the near future so that all of the info reflected there is more complete and more accurate, it just hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it will happen soon, but honestly there is a lot going on right now with many different projects so it may be a while.

Thankfully, in addition to our FAQ, we also have our staff that frequent the forums here to assist along with a massive amount of dedicated volunteers (like noknojon and Firefox among others) who are always willing to jump in and assist when a user has a question :).