How should I fortify my new desktop.....

having just purchased a new HP desktop from OfficeMax, I'm looking for suggestions on which programs besides MSE & the free (or paid) version of MBAM to install on it.

Between Super AntiSpyware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Prevx, and tons of other computer protection devices and programs out there, there's a downright bewildering number of choices out there, and I'm looking for tips on which program to use, in which combination to use them if more than two are recommended, and whether or not I should install them in any particular order.

P.S.--There are no pre-installed security programs on this computer.

P.S. #2--Having read various articles which have stated that HP (and most other computer makers) stuff their computers with so-called 'crapware' programs that I'll never need or use, would a program such as Revo Uninstaller be the best program to remove those programs without harming the registry, or should I try another method?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Between Super AntiSpyware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Prevx, and tons of other computer protection devices and programs out there, there's a downright bewildering number of choices out there, and I'm looking for tips on which program to use, in which combination to use them if more than two are recommended, and whether or not I should install them in any particular order.

With MBAM and an antivirus such as MSE, the only other thing you need is a firewall. I'm assuming your PC has Windows 7, which has a decent firewall, but a firewall such as Online Armor would be a good choice. And make sure you update everything (security and non-security software) regularly to minimise that exploit vector.

Having read various articles which have stated that HP (and most other computer makers) stuff their computers with so-called 'crapware' programs that I'll never need or use, would a program such as Revo Uninstaller be the best program to remove those programs without harming the registry, or should I try another method?

Yes, that's true. OEM computers are normally loaded with things such as "user experience improvement programs", "message centers", various useless updaters, etc. The most effective way to get rid of it all would probably be to format the drive, but that is usually too much of a hassle for the user, so an ordinary uninstall procedure will do.

Thanks for those replies, but I have no idea what JRE is; could someone enlighten me, please?

Thanks!

JRE is the Java runtime environment, a piece of software that needs to be installed so you can run Java applications. You can download it from the official site here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Just click where is says JRE, select your OS and click the download link. When there is an update available, you should get a popup to remind you (of course you can update manually as well). Keeping Java up to date is important, as many exploits use Java to mess with your computer.

I've also read elsewhere on this board that Microsoft Security Essentials isnot compatible to be used in tandem with either the free version of MBAM or the paid version.

Does anyone know which version of MBAM can be utilized with MSE, and why the other version cannot?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Since I'm finally going to buy my new computer this week, I have two more questions.

Can someone recommend a firewall which works well with both MBAM (Free version or Pro Version) as well as MSE?

I've also been advised to buy a router, which can serve as a 'second firewall'. Staples has the Linksys E-1000 router marked down from $69.99 to $49.99, and I was wondering if that would be sufficient for a mundane non-gaming websurfer such as myself to spend on a router?

Thanks again!