VMware

Conor55

• Root Admin

VMware Server is a free, easy-to-use Windows and Linux application that provides a superior introductory experience to server virtualization for businesses to optimize utilization of their technology assets.

Note: This is a very old version and is nothing like the much newer Workstation version which is not free. Cost is appx. $189.00 USD

VirtualBox is a powerful x86 and AMD64/Intel64 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use. Not only is VirtualBox an extremely feature rich, high performance product for enterprise customers, it is also the only professional solution that is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Microsoft also offers for free: Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1

Save time and money as Virtual PC allows you to maintain the compatibility of legacy and custom applications during migration to new operating systems and increases the efficiency of support, development, and training staffs.

With Microsoft

I agree that Oracle VM VirtualBox is a good virtualisation solution. It's open source under the GNU GPL, gets regular updates, is robust and reliable, as as well as being easy to use. I used to use Microsoft's Virtual PC - which is also free - however I prefer VirtualBox and would recommend it to anyone who wants to install an OS within an OS. I am running Windows 7 on my host machine, but have XP SP3 installed virtually; comes in handy. :P

• 1 year later...
  • Root Admin

Yes normally for testing but there are corporations that actually use them for their desktops as its very fast to recover from malware, software, or other changes, conflicts within seconds often.

They used to be pretty slow but now days on a fast computer a system setup on a virtual desktop can work very fast and is often more than good enough for most workers.

Greetings forum,

I have decided to download oracle virtualbox and it is sitting in my downloads folder for the time being.

I have never used this program before ever so i am a little apprehensive about using it.

I understand i can download an ISO of any operating system to run in the virtual box.

This is where i am getting a bit stuck with this,Ive seen on a different website that i can download a 500mb iso of ubuntu os.

When i have downloaded this iso is it simply a case of using the downloaded iso to insert into the virtualbox or does it need to be burned on to cds?

500mb seems a lot of data to be burning to cd.

Im very sorry to trouble you with this as im a complete novice with virtualbox.

Could you help me with this dilemma please?

Kind regards. :blush:

Greetings forum,

I have decided to download oracle virtualbox and it is sitting in my downloads folder for the time being.

I have never used this program before ever so i am a little apprehensive about using it.

I understand i can download an ISO of any operating system to run in the virtual box.

This is where i am getting a bit stuck with this,Ive seen on a different website that i can download a 500mb iso of ubuntu os.

When i have downloaded this iso is it simply a case of using the downloaded iso to insert into the virtualbox or does it need to be burned on to cds?

Im very sorry to trouble you with this as im a complete novice with virtualbox.

Could you help me with this dilemma please?

Kind regards. :blush:

you could burn the iso to a disk and load it into the VM using the host system's cd/dvd drive or you can simply point the VM to the iso file. ;)

VirtualBox Documentation

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/End-user_documentation

500MB isn't that much acctuallty, some of them images can be several gigabytes