Computer Freeze

For about the last week my computer will freeze when in use with no mouse pointer. I've ran Malwarebytes, Norton 360 and PCTools, Performance Toolkit to reslove the issue. Power Settings are set to never. I've manually looked at the programs running and everything to me looks normal but I'm no expert. My restore points will not work/restore, too. CPU Temp is ok. BIO's settings look ok. I can cut of the power to the computer and power it on and use it for about another hour before it freezes. Cannot use the power on the computer to shut down when freezes. I'm at a lost of what to do next and could use some expert advice

Internet search on issue says it's malware or a virus...

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• 1. OS version including 32/64-bit
    2. Installed Security Product(s) including Firewall and Program Versions
    3. MBAM version (current 1.50.1.1100) (Free or Pro)
    4. Definition version (current 5526)
    5. Do you use a router to connect to Internet
    6. How much Ram is installed

Running to Protect System: MalwareBytes and Norton360

Microsoft virus denfender and ... disabled

Running the PAID for Malwearbytes (PRO) Ver 1.50.1100 with current updates ID 4H......

Malwarebytes did find PUP.PerfectOptimizer on my computer and I deleted it several days ago, do not know how it affects computer...

Anyway I have a habit of using the Default Driver's for keyboards and mouse provided by Microsoft. My thought was maybe something attacked the driver's for the mouse. So, I installed the correct ver for the keyboard and mouse and it's going on over 4 hours with no freeze, yet.

But still wounder how it made my computer power button useless...

I have a feeling the problem is not resloved yet. But so far so good. I'll keep my fingers cross and hope I got lucky. :huh:

Thanks things are getting woarst:

Active Speed gave me an error 13 which now requires a removal and reinstall

Drive Detive Locks up on port 0005 hub 0008

Malwarebytes will not allow my TIVO to connect to the computer

But I know I have all of microsoft updates and the latest drivers

Thought maybe Dust Bunnies maybe the problem, no such luck

Anyway DL another spyware virus program see the picture for the results. Do not know if it's a true report hear that these spyware and virus programs give boogs reports...

All that virus mention about was PCtools exe (zipped) program file

I'm really at a lost on what to do how many programs do I have to buy to protect, clean and stop my computer from being HiJacked

It's just a matter of time before they infect my I Phone (Droid) I know it's filled with spyware

What's a guy to do? :huh:

I think its time for you to go seek some help from the experts so that they can have a look over your logs.....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

As we don't deal with malware removal in the General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum, you need to start a topic in the Malware Removal forum so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Track this topic and choose Immediate Email Notification, so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.
  • One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.
  • Please refrain from making any further changes to your computer (Install/Uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc...) unless advised by a malware removal helper. Doing so can result in system changes which may hinder the attempts by a helper to clean your machine.

NOTE: Please DO NOT post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies. If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or here.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as it is possible.

PS: Please use the "ADDREPLY" t_reply.gif button instead of other ones when you start replying. :huh:

Hello RobertJ!

If you could please generate an Autoruns log for me to see what is going on in your system.

Create an Autoruns Log:

• Please download Sysinternals Autoruns from here and save it to your desktop.
    • Note: If using Windows Vista or Windows 7 then you also need to do the following:
      1. Right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Properties
      2. Click on the Compatibility tab
      3. Under Privilege Level check the box next to Run this program as an administrator
      4. Click on Apply then click OK

[*]Double-click Autoruns.exe to run it.

[*]Once it starts, please press the Esc key on your keyboard.

[*]Now that scanning is stopped, click on the Options button at the top of the program and select Verify Code Signatures so that it is now checked

[*]Click on the Options button again and this time uncheck Hide Windows Entries

[*]Once that's done press the F5 key on your keyboard, this will start the scan again, this time let it finish.

[*]When it's finished and says Ready. on the lower left of the program window, please click on the File button at the top of the program and select Save and save the Autoruns.arn file to your desktop and close Autoruns.

[*]Right click on the Autoruns.arn file on your desktop and hover your mouse over Send To and select Compressed (zipped) Folder

[*]Attach the Autoruns.zip folder you just created to your next reply

Forgive my spelling

There's a lot of brain power here so, after no one gave a reply I:

ck cpu temp

ck drivers

re-installed several programs

Ran End It All

Stopped one program at a time in Start Up Manager

Ran verious spyware virus programs

Nothing was left but Bios and Operating Sys So, I ran:

Microsoft Hibr Remover Tool for Vista

ran Microsoft Power Button Fix then

ran Microsoft Power Management Tool

not one program reported any errors BUT

my system is running ok now and appears to be fixed

I'll keep my fingers crossed

Malwarebytes thanks for the support you maynot have offered a soluation but you also did not lead me down the wrong road

Your No.: 1 :D

Hello RobertJ,

I am terribly sorry I did not get to your logs. I am tremendously happy that you were able to apply those fixes and it worked out for you.

Again I must admit that I did not thoroughly give your topic the attention it deserves and am relieved that it came to a speedy resolution!

If you have any issues arise again please create a new topic and I will be more than happy to redeem myself and provide you with the utmost care and attention.

Thank you very much!

• 2 weeks later...

RobertJ, If your Internet provider is ComCast and they did send you an email that you have an infection, then more than likely it is true. Internet providers do send out emails to users that are on their network and could potentially cause problems for them. I have repaired many computers from folks that received such emails.....

Please follow my instructions from Post # 10 above..... HERE

I thought removing MaiwareBytes and Norton 360 may have resloved the issuse but no such luck. The computer still freezes. I'll post in the Malware removal Section and start a new topic there as requested. Not sure it's a malware or virus problem

Thanks for the help!

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to check back in with you guys. My Gateway FX7026 has an intel g33 motherboard. Anyway since I could not reslove the computer freeze problem I went on intel to find my motherboard. There I learned my computer was not Windows 7 Frienly and got me to thinking. I put a 2 port PCI Express 10/100/1000 MBPS Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter Card into the computer if this card is designed for Windows 7 that could be my problem. Sure enough after removing the card my freeze problem is reslove.

POINT being when upgrading computers write down the date and what you did to make a timeline of events and problems to help reslove issues, I learned something and now must devlope a new habit.

Thanks for trying to help