Need a new Anti-Virus

thurs

I've been a long time user of Malware Bytes and have found it trustworthy and immensely useful. But now i face a whole new problem. My Anti-Virus subscription has run out (Kapersky, free from bestbuy with purchase of laptop.) So i would be most thankful for some suggestions on a new, free anti-virus. Thanks x].

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ thurs

remember Malwarebytes is not an Anti-Virus program, From the Homepage:

Have you ever considered what makes an anti-malware application effective? We at Malwarebytes have created an easy-to-use, simple, and effective anti-malware application. Whether you know it or not your computer is always at risk of becoming infected with viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and malware that are constantly evolving and becoming harder to detect and remove. Only the most sophisticated anti-malware techniques can detect and remove these malicious programs from your computer.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is considered to be the next step in the detection and removal of malware. In our product we have compiled a number of new technologies that are designed to quickly detect, destroy, and prevent malware. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove malware that even the most well known anti-virus and anti-malware applications fail to detect. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they even start. The realtime protection module uses our advanced heuristic scanning technology which monitors your system to keep it safe and secure. In addition, we have implemented a threats center which will allow you to keep up to date with the latest malware threats

look it over... regards....

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

hello.

avira and avast are fine free anti-virus programs.As is MSE.

unless you actually go to some malware producing sites and "test" the AV you really cannot tell how effective an AV is.

there does seem to be this eternal bickering as to which is better and my answer would be they are only as effective as the user behind the keyboard.

i see several apparent "tests" being performed with ten or more malicious links , but how many users will actually come across ten links in a row?

I think its just paranoia and mis-trust that creates a sense of not being fully protected.

just a case of being happy with what AV you do have and trusting in the software.

many regards.

hello,

yes ive been using comodo for over a year now and never been infected with it.

But im not saying that other products are less good.thats just a personal opinion.

online armor is another great program.

its down to the user and what they are happy with.

comodo has never let me down yet so i shall stick with it.

kind regards.

I've been a long time user of Malware Bytes and have found it trustworthy and immensely useful. But now i face a whole new problem. My Anti-Virus subscription has run out (Kapersky, free from bestbuy with purchase of laptop.) So i would be most thankful for some suggestions on a new, free anti-virus. Thanks x].

Good advice....MSE, Avast, AVG all fine and keep MBAM on demand!

I would recommend Avira, MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials), or Avast! for free.

If you are looking for paid, Kaspersky, Avira, and ESET NOD32 would all be great choices.

I can give you download links as well if you would like for any of the above -_-

Guest name cool

The first thing: I do not Kprsky his name, But it is Kaspersky. -_-

Anti-Virus is the one who does not go online much. Or the person who does not delve deeper into the sites or ready to enter it. We all know that anti-virus protection for free is limited and consists of the firewall - virus protection - protection of the Web . Which is relatively good for those who have and I have already said (for those who do not browse the Internet much

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

hi

just out of interest.

i use the cis5 anti-virus...is this a good choice or would avast be better.

ive always liked avast and it seems to have better options than the comodo anti-virus.

any advice please?

thanks.

You'd be amazed how much this question is asked and there is no clear answer. It's really up to the user. Not every software works the same on every computer. I'd agree with all the previous suggestions. ;) However, it is really up to you to try them out and see what works. :angry:

@mbam daz.

Avast does have a bit more options, but Comodo has been designed to work in a verity of ways where features like drive by wouldn't be needed. -_-

Guest remixed

Given the 'buzz' generated by the Comodo fan club i have been running it for a coupla weeks. I can strongly recommend it to all malware hunters......ya never have to turn it off :)

Guest remixed

Well, when i had Avira Free AV installed on my test box i'd occasionally forget to disable it when i'd go hunting on the darkside. I hit on a juicy new malware sample, maybe a hot new rogue and bam, Avira pops up and stops me from downloading it.....ip registered...lost chance. I recall Spider Lover having a similar 'complaint'about Avira munching on his samples. All i'm saying is i haven't encountered this problem with Comodo. ;)

Or that it ain't detecting 'em :)

Back to Avira for me :)

Avira is goood :)

I wonder if Comodo just isn't detecting items in the situation you are talking about... sounds like it :)

hello,

yes ive been using comodo for over a year now and never been infected with it.

But im not saying that other products are less good.thats just a personal opinion.

online armor is another great program.

its down to the user and what they are happy with.

comodo has never let me down yet so i shall stick with it.

kind regards.

Online armor aint reccomended for an average user.

Since there are alot of pop-ups and things, its more like for a advanced user.

hi

exciting things are coming to the comodo anti-virus which will apparently give it the highest detection rate in the AV world.

i have found the CAV to be very effective as it is so i eagerly await the new "DACS" technology.Im not sure what this is and i dont think anyone else really knows but it sounds very good and will benefit comodo users immensely.

regards.

I recall Spider Lover having a similar 'complaint'about Avira munching on his samples. All i'm saying is i haven't encountered this problem with Comodo. :)

I had a similar issue with MSE on my desktop. Copied some rogues over from my flash drive and it was going nuts. :) Uninstalled it. Now I'll be using Returnil Lite. :)

• Staff
hi

exciting things are coming to the comodo anti-virus which will apparently give it the highest detection rate in the AV world.

i have found the CAV to be very effective as it is so i eagerly await the new "DACS" technology.Im not sure what this is and i dont think anyone else really knows but it sounds very good and will benefit comodo users immensely.

regards.

Almost sounds like snake oil, the way everyone's describing it..

http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcement...d-t63408.0.html

Almost sounds like snake oil, the way everyone's describing it..

http://forums.comodo.com/news-announcement...d-t63408.0.html

I say I have to agree with you unless things change...

"guarantee the best detection in the world"... how can that be guaranteed? ;)