ERROR MSGS

Hello MBAM Team

Recently am doing a a check to see if my computer is clean or not using Hijack this and some other softwares . and he asked me for a MBAM log

so i downloaded it .. installed

but when i try to open it .. i get the following :

1 )

334ssxj.png

2 )

ie0bk6.png

i tried un-installing/installing it over and over again but still no use ..

please i need feedback please :)

thanks in advance

Please make sure you are installing as an admin and then disable your anti-virus software then.....

Please try the following to see if it helps:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • NOTE: If you get SHGetValue failed with error code 0, that only means that the tool has nothing to perform, continue on with the next step....
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask me and I'll explain how to do it.

Hi Yehia and Udderdude -

Please select your Operating System and try this - Also the item below from exile360 -

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Then go to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and delete rules.ref. Once you've done that, start MBAM and when it shows the error and asks to update, let it do so and see if that corrects it.

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Please post back with your Operating System (XP Vista Win7) also Antivirus and any installed Firewall -

Thank You -

EDIT -

Only as a check , can you also list if you have a licensed version or free version -

Please try the following, choosing the instructions appropriate to your version of Windows:

Correct Error Expanding Variables Error on Windows 7:

• Once you're logged into Windows again, click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Add or remove user accounts which is listed under User Accounts and Family Safety
  • Click on Create a new account
  • Give the user account a name and select Administrator for the type of account
  • Click on Create Account
  • Restart your computer and log into the new user account you just created and download and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to make sure it's now working without issues and once that's done, log off of the new user account and back into your original user account and make sure that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is working there as well

Correct Error Expanding Variables Error on Windows Vista:

• Once you're logged into Windows again, click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Control Panel
  • Select User Accounts and Family Safety
  • Select Add or Remove User Accounts under User Accounts
  • Click on Create a new account
  • Give the user account a name and select Administrator for the type of account
  • Click on Create Account
  • Restart your computer and log into the new user account you just created and download and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
  • Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to make sure it's now working without issues and once that's done, log off of the new user account and back into your original user account and make sure that Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is working there as well

Please let me know how it goes.

BIG CLAP FOR YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY :)

thats why you are here :)

i followed both of ur instructions and everything went just fine :) thanks a million

now one more question

i am really obssesed to security and stuff .. and i wanna learn how to read HJT LOGS and be a security member ..i wish when i get in univerisity i will take part in computer filed " SECURITY " specially :)

so can i knw where i should start please ?

The following are websites who host training facilities where you can learn to help others in removing malware from their PC's, including how to use HijackThis and other tools to do so: United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Hi -

Please note that this sounds easy BUT -

The average person with some good idea on computers/security can spend 6 months minimum (on average) doing this training -

It is done over the internet and you submit papers (just like any school) for grading and also exams at times -

Last thing I heard was that Bleeping Computers had places available - But this can change on a daily basis -

All are to a similar (same) standard and all have the same requirements - United Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Thank You -

which one do u recommend i should get in first ?

You only need to attend one, they all offer a specific standard of training and knowledge and once you have graduated from one of the schools you will then be authorized to assist others on forums that are part of ASAP/UNITE, including this forum :).

Exile360 .. thanks alot for your answer :) now i understand that each one of the list is teaching the same stuff .

but if you were me .. where would you apply ? which one has the most reputation ?

i know am asking alot but am so excited :)

I have experience with Malware Removal and I can say they are a top notch school, but I can't say anything about the others except what I've heard as I've never attended them. Many experts have expressed positive opinions about all the others as well so I cannot say if there is one in particular to choose over another because the standards of teaching are universal throughout the schools so I'm certain that no matter which school you choose to attend, they will provide you the guidance and information you need to be come an expert helper.

I know that the schools fill up fast as they have to limit the number of students they have so they can make sure that their students get the education and attention they need, so if I were you, I'd just look for any of the schools that currently has any openings and sign up :).

Unfortunately you have to leave the new user account in place, there's just no other way around it. The issue happens when something about your existing user account is incompatible with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and creating a new user account and installing Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in that new user account allows it to work.

Thanks Firefox. You'll need to check all reg locations and folders used by MBAM and it's shortcuts which will be difficult. The answer is in there somewhere but I've unfortunately never been able to nail it down and I've never been able to replicate this problem myself so I can't investigate the cause on my own.

OK I solved it on the computer I was working on, here is what I did, but it did not work at first.

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Uninstalled Anti-Virus software (Symantec Endpoint Protection)
  • Searched and cleaned the registry of any values that contained Malwarebytes
  • Restarted Computer
  • Installed fresh copy of Malwarebytes but I again got the same error

FIX THAT WORKED!

I then thought, lets see what is starting automatically at StartUp so I went to look at the Startup Folder.

What I found is that there was no STARTUP folder. (user had deleted it cause it was empty)

• Being that this was Windows 7 I went to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and I created the folder called Startup.
  • Restarted Computer
  • Tested and error no longer appears

At least on the computer I was working on, I think all I did was not really necessary, I believe that just creating the STARTUP folder probably would have corrected the issue.

All this done without having to create that new account as well.

Hope this helps anyone having this issue.