MBAM error updating

I just reloaded both my desktop AND my laptop.

Malware Bytes installed no problem, but when I try to update it, it says "MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12007, 0, Win HttpSendRequest"

Any ideas on why i can't update?? I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

I am trying to get it to run on 2 freshly reloaded systems, one running Vista Ultimate, and the other running Windows 7 Ultimate (both 32-bit), and running Microsoft Security Essentials.

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Specific instructions for Microsoft Security Essentials can be found RIGHT HERE

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

As long as it is NOT due to current live Malware preventing the update then this method may help restore the ability to run updates

After each step please try to run the Update again in the MBAM program.

STEP 01

Backup the Registry:

Modifying the Registry can create unforeseen problems, so it always wise to create a backup before doing so.

• Please download ERUNT from here
  • ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.
  • Double click on erunt-setup.exe to Install ERUNT by following the prompts.
  • Use the default install settings but say NO to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the Start-Up folder. You can enable this option later if you wish.
  • Start ERUNT either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup process.
  • Choose a location for the backup.
    • Note: the default location is C:\Windows\ERDNT which is acceptable.

[*]Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are selected.

[*]Click on OK

[*]Then click on YES to create the folder.

Note: if it is necessary to restore the registry, open the backup folder and start ERDNT.exe

Once you've completed backing up your Registry, please perform the following fixes until fixed or all methods have been tried

STEP 02

Disable Internet Explorer Proxy Settings and Reset TCP/IP

It is very important that these steps be carried out exactly as shown otherwise the fix will not work.

If you have any questions please ask before moving on.

• Please start Notepad and using your mouse make sure you select and copy all the information below in the Code box into your new document.
  • Then save the file as "fixme.bat" to your Desktop
  • In the drop down box for Save as type: make sure you select All Files (*.*) and keep the quotes on the name as well. Then close the new file.
    @ECHO OFF
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyServer /f
    reg delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyOverride /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v ProxyEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

• On Windows XP you can double-click the file to run it.
  • On Vista/Win7 you need to Right click the file and choose Run as administrator to run it. With User Account Control on it should ask permission to run it. Click Yes
  • This will flash a black DOS box very quickly and go away, this is normal.
  • Restart your computer now.
  • Launch Internet Explorer and see if you can connect to the Internet.
  • Launch MBAM and check for Updates

STEP 03

Ping the Content Delivery Network

For Windows XP:

Click on START - RUN and type in or Copy/Paste the following and verify that you get a response

CMD.EXE /K PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Click on START and in the search line type in CMD and you should see cmd.exe show on the menu. Right click over cmd.exe and select Run as administrator

Then in the DOS console window type in the following and press the Enter key and verify that you get a response

PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

If all the pings failed then please try running the following command

TRACERT mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Then copy and paste back the results on your next reply.

STEP 04

Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

As long as it is NOT due to current live Malware preventing the update then this method may help restore the ability to run updates

I am STILL getting the same error, and I have followed the above rules to the letter.

I am now getting the same error on all 3 of my computers.

Is it possible that my router's firewall could have something to do with blocking MalwareBytes from updating?

I have a Netgear WNDR3300 router.

I am STILL getting the same error, and I have followed the above rules to the letter.

I am now getting the same error on all 3 of my computers.

Is it possible that my router's firewall could have something to do with blocking MalwareBytes from updating?

I have a Netgear WNDR3300 router.

I almost forgot. All 3 computers are squeaky clean, and have absolutely no malware on them whatsoever.

Hi Bob F4 -

- Yes , this has been a known problem if the Firewall on the Router has a strong enough 'built in' Firewall -

Can you access the internal firewall details of the router and add this item to it -

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

If not would you like to submit this thread to the experts area (usually for infection problems) and have someone there look at it -

You can use the Help desk if you have the paid version and our in house experts can look at this -

Thank You -

EDIT -

These controls can stop downloads unless exceptions are added -

Live Parental Controls - NETGEAR Live Parental Controls, powered by OpenDNS, is a router-based Web filtering solution available on NETGEAR Wireless-N router and

gateway products.

Blocks up to 50 categories of Internet content - Designed to protect you from identity theft and scams

And it

Hi Bob F4 -

- Yes , this has been a known problem if the Firewall on the Router has a strong enough 'built in' Firewall -

Can you access the internal firewall details of the router and add this item to it -

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

If not would you like to submit this thread to the experts area (usually for infection problems) and have someone there look at it -

You can use the Help desk if you have the paid version and our in house experts can look at this -

Thank You -

EDIT -

These controls can stop downloads unless exceptions are added -

I don't know how to add this to the firewall. Again, the router is a Netgear WNDR3300.

And, is it also possible that it could be my ISP (Road Runner) itself blocking MWB?

Hi -

There are 2 wireless routers listed with the same number as yours (v1 & v2 I think) - This link will get you to the information for both of them -

Netgear WNDR3300 Routers While there check if there is any updates for the software -

Scroll through the information and see if there are details regarding the Firewall for yours -

Also recheck the pings and Tracert as below -

Click on START and in the search line type in CMD and you should see cmd.exe show on the menu. Right click over cmd.exe and select Run as administrator

Then in the DOS console window type in the following and press the Enter key and verify that you get a response

PING mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

If all the pings failed then please try running the following command

TRACERT mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Then copy and paste back the results on your next reply.

Thank You -

Just a comment.....

I use Road Runner, and as far as I know they do not block anything, especially Malwarebytes and updates, as I don't have this issue and I have the same ISP.....

I didn't think so, but I was just curious, and thinking out loud.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>ping mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Pinging mwbyte.vo.llnwd.net [208.111.128.6] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.

Reply from 208.111.128.6: bytes=32 time=36ms TTL=53

Reply from 208.111.128.6: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=53

Reply from 208.111.128.6: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=53

Ping statistics for 208.111.128.6:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 35ms, Maximum = 37ms, Average = 36ms

C:\Windows\system32>tracert mbam-cdn.malwarebytes.org

Tracing route to mwbyte.vo.llnwd.net [208.111.128.6]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 1 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1

2 9 ms 8 ms 9 ms 10.241.0.1

3 11 ms 11 ms 10 ms gig4-2.rochnygts-rtr01.nyroc.rr.com [24.93.4.149

]

4 12 ms 11 ms 9 ms gig1-0-3.rochnymth-rtr03.nyroc.rr.com [24.93.0.2

02]

5 10 ms 9 ms 7 ms xe-4-2-0-0.rochnyei-rtr000.nyroc.rr.com [24.92.2

24.14]

6 24 ms 27 ms 24 ms ae-3-0.cr0.chi10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.72]

7 25 ms 24 ms 24 ms ae-0-0.pr0.chi10.tbone.rr.com [66.109.6.153]

8 68 ms 26 ms 26 ms tge5-4.fr3.ord.llnw.net [208.111.156.93]

9 42 ms 36 ms 38 ms tge16-2.fr3.lga.llnw.net [68.142.125.46]

10 32 ms 59 ms * cdn-208-111-128-6.lga.llnw.net [208.111.128.6]

11 * 34 ms * cdn-208-111-128-6.lga.llnw.net [208.111.128.6]

12 34 ms 35 ms 35 ms cdn-208-111-128-6.lga.llnw.net [208.111.128.6]

Trace complete.

Sorry Bob F4 -

I think you should let the experts review this - Those responses show there is an internet problem with your connections -

Please complete as many steps listed below as you can and repost in the Highlighted area -

As we don't work on Malware removal or diagnostics in the general forums please follow these directions -

Please print out, read and follow the directions Here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic Here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post - Please allow at least 48 hours for a reply as the experts can get busy at times -

Also add a brief note to the experts as to your problems -

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org or via Here

Always use the ADD REPLY Tab at the bottom of the page when you reply -

Thank You - :)

I also have the same problem. I completely reinstaaled both of my systems (One in XP PRo and one is XP Home). I still get the same error when trying to update

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12007,0 WinHTTP Send Rewuest)

I also get random browser redirects in IE and Firefox, and again, this is AFTER a reformat and reinstall of Windows. Would super greatly appectate any help! I also checked MBR's and they bothc ame up ok (with BOOTCHECK. Please help!

dan

dantana999@yahoo.com

I found my problem. I have a Netgear WNDR3300 router. This fix MIGHT apply to other Netgear router users, as well.

I opened the Content Filtering Schedule screen, and Time of Day to block had All Day checked. I unchecked it, set Start blocking to 4 hour, 0 minute (4:00 am, I believe), and set End blocking to 4 hour, 1 minute (4:01 am).

I saved the settings, then tried updating Malware Bytes. Success!

Just a comment.....

I use Road Runner, and as far as I know they do not block anything, especially Malwarebytes and updates, as I don't have this issue and I have the same ISP.....

Ditto; they don't block diddly.. Or Bo. :)

~Shy

I also get random browser redirects in IE and Firefox, and again, this is AFTER a reformat and reinstall of Windows.

Hi dantana -

First never post your email on an open forum that is viewed by thousands of people -

Can you list the latest update version you have at this time (try to update first) - Also those other problems seem more severe -

There is a chance you have an infection of some type that is blocking your updates -

Thank You -

Thank you noknojon. As it turns out I fixed mine too! Similar problem. Router. I just removed the DNS server entries that were there and restarted the router. All fixed. This had been driving me crazy for the last few days because I would reinstall my systems and still get redirects and still not be able to update Malware Bytes. I found solution by doing a search for "results5.google.com" because these are where most of the redirects went. Someone (or something) gets into the router and changes the DNS server ip addresses. I don't know how it was done on mine as I DO have a password set (not default). But anyway that's what it was. Hope this helps someone. Ps it's known as the "results5.google" virus, even though it isn't really a virus.

Hi dantana -

First never post your email on an open forum that is viewed by thousands of people -

Can you list the latest update version you have at this time (try to update first) - Also those other problems seem more severe -

There is a chance you have an infection of some type that is blocking your updates -

Thank You -

I just reloaded both my desktop AND my laptop.

Malware Bytes installed no problem, but when I try to update it, it says "MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING (12007, 0, Win HttpSendRequest"

Any ideas on why i can't update?? I've uninstalled and reinstalled.

I am trying to get it to run on 2 freshly reloaded systems, one running Vista Ultimate, and the other running Windows 7 Ultimate (both 32-bit), and running Microsoft Security Essentials.

Hi i had a similar issue with a pc at my place of work mbam won't update on this machine - after a root around i found these entries in the registry.

We use open dns so 213.109.65.44 / 213.109.75.130 was a bit out on checking the router and reseting to open dns and deleteing the rogue dhcp below mbam update fine.

At the same time the pc was being redirected from google results to odd pages once this action had been completed the search results where ok.

Hope this helps

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{803019D2-C7E2-4FAB-A518-D03DC5595855}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D398084B-51E1-4400-8134-F790D9EFE707}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{803019D2-C7E2-4FAB-A518-D03DC5595855}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{D398084B-51E1-4400-8134-F790D9EFE707}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{803019D2-C7E2-4FAB-A518-D03DC5595855}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{D398084B-51E1-4400-8134-F790D9EFE707}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

Hi i had a similar issue with a pc at my place of work mbam won't update on this machine - after a root around i found these entries in the registry.

We use open dns so 213.109.65.44 / 213.109.75.130 was a bit out on checking the router and reseting to open dns and deleteing the rogue dhcp below mbam update fine.

At the same time the pc was being redirected from google results to odd pages once this action had been completed the search results where ok.

Hope this helps

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{803019D2-C7E2-4FAB-A518-D03DC5595855}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{D398084B-51E1-4400-8134-F790D9EFE707}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{803019D2-C7E2-4FAB-A518-D03DC5595855}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\..\{D398084B-51E1-4400-8134-F790D9EFE707}: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{803019D2-C7E2-4FAB-A518-D03DC5595855}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\..\{D398084B-51E1-4400-8134-F790D9EFE707}: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS1\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=192.168.0.1

HKLM\SYSTEM\CS2\Services\Tcpip\Parameters: DhcpNameServer=213.109.65.44 213.109.75.130

Just sorted my Update problem changing Routers DNS address to "get automatically from ISP". To do this I loged into my Netgear router 192.168.0.1 , on left hand side pressed Setup- Basic settings and uncheked "Use these DNS servers" and checked "get automatically from ISP" . After that was able to update MBAM and found 27 infections when before update was 0 infections.