Can't install in Windows XP -runtime error (at -1:0:)

Hi, I recently purchased an old custom built computer with Windows XP (no service packs). I downloaded Malwarebytes 1.46 but it won't install. I get the following message:

Runtime Error (at -1:0:)

Cannot import dll:C:\DOCUME~1\mike\LOCALS~1\Temp\is-OF9DB.tmp\mbam.dll

I've tried all the suggestions via this website but to no avail (mbam-clean, mbam fix, fixme, "automatically detect settings", etc).

Does Malwarebytes require service pack 2 or 3 to run? System requirements via this website state just Windows XP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Running XP with no Service Packs is like playing Russian roulette with a gun that has 5 bullets in a 6 bullet chamber revolver.

It takes less than 5 minutes for an XP system with no Service Packs to get infected if it is on the Internet.

Get the SP2 and SP3 downloads and make a CD with them and install them before putting the system on the Internet.

Then run Windows Update and get all the latest XP Critical Updates.

Have you seen The Deer Hunter?

post-100-1276906679_thumb.jpg

• Root Admin

It will run on any version of XP. Though it is highly suggested that you have SP3 for your own system security.

You probably have some other security software installed that is preventing the proper installation.

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue:

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or post to ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Hello strat and welcome to MalwareBytes forums.

Please take Yokenny1's advice to heart. Otherwise you are at very very certain security risks.

I see other colleagues have replied and I'm posting this for your benefit.

I'm a bit startled that you are on internet with a XP gold box. eusa_hand.gif You should NOT be on internet at all, until this is updated to service pack 3. I say that for the security of your data and of the system.

How recently did you purchase this system? and any idea why the o.s. is so out-of-date ?

Does this system currently have an up-to-date antivirus program?

If this system was ever without an antivirus program, I'd urge you to wipe the HD clean and do a clean install of XP.

Did the seller provide a Windows XP CD ? Hope that is the case.

You will need to get & apply XP service pack 2, and follow that by getting XP service pack 3.

Guides on getting & applying service pack 2

http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=45

This is the link to the full Service Pack 2 download.

(Choose language of choice, then download.)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

References for service pack 3:

See Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3): Installation Guide

also Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic146857.html

Hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311/

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

AdvanceSteup, as I originally posted I already tried the procedure you mentioned (plus all the others mentioned in my top post) to no avail. I can install version 1.44 without incident, but when I attempt to update I get the same error message. Judging by the size of the update (~6MB), I'm guessing Malwarebytes is attempting to update the whole program (instead of just the virus database), hence the same error message.

I am not running any other antivirus. The computer has Windows XP Pro and IE6 (which I use for email). No other programs are installed.

Hello strat,

Apart from what YoKenny1 and Maurice Nagger asked you to do: update your Windows XP to Service Pack 3,

I urge you to perform two more things:

• Update Internet Explorer to the latest version (ie IE 8)
  • Install an antivirus
    (To emphasise, the list should also have an item of installing a firewall. But I think you need these two in urgent.)

MBAM is an antimalware solution only. period. You also need an antivirus solution to protect your computer.

You can read the post written by exile360, one of the experts here, about his choices of antivirus, and install one (and only one) on your system, and active the realtime protection mode.

In addition, don't only install up to Service Pack 2. Microsoft has stated the support of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 will end within a month:

Important notice for users of Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2): The support for your product will end July 13, 2010! To ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows after that date you need to upgrade to Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) or later versions such as Windows 7.

Quote from http://support.microsoft.com/gp/windowsxpsp2

So if I were you, I got a Windows XP CD, and fulfilled the Hard disk space requirements (it should be no problem for computers nowadays), I would follow Maurice Nagger's and my advice above: get the service packs 2 and 3, get the setup file of an antivirus software and that of MBAM, burn them into disks (or put them in an external drive), wipe the hard disk, install windows again, install service packs 2 and 3 offline, install antivirus and MBAM offline, online now and get all the critical updates of Windows (most likely it will include IE 8) plus the updates of the antivirus and MBAM.

If I got a Windows Vista or 7 DVD (and that computer fulfil the requirements of Vista/7), then I would download the relevant SPs, antivirus and MBAM and perform the other steps as above.

Hope you listen our advice by heart and take action. Remember, we response this topic as we want your system to be more secure. The steps outlined above IS the first step to prevent computer virus and malware attacking your computer.

Edit - adding info on SP2 and some more adivice.

Thanks again everyone.

Unfortunately this computer came with no CDs of any kind. I paid $50 for the computer (obviously money is tight right now, laid off) which came with Windows XP Pro and IE6. No other software is loaded.

AdvancedSetup, are you saying you installed Malwarebytes successfully on a computer with Windows XP with no service packs? That was my original question: Does Mawarebytes require service packs to run on XP?

Thanks for all your patience and great advice. I'm still new to computers but trying hard to learn.

Hello strat,

AdvancedSetup does answer your original question in his first reply:

It will run on any version of XP.

And then he adds some more words to explain it to you about your situation:

Well all I can say is that something is already wrong with your system as there is nothing that will prevent it from installing on a new fresh install of XP. We know because we've done it many times.

I believe he means the system has something that prevents you install MBAM, according to his knowledge.

By the way, I still urge you to install an antivirus software (the free ones are still good choices), then have a full scan of your computer. Here is the the post written by exile360, one of the experts here, about his choices of antivirus:

The following are my personal recommendations for antivirus protection along with links to downloads for them (free trials for those that require a purchase so you can try them before deciding):

Note: If you decide to use one of the trial versions of one of the paid antiviruses then you will either need to purchase it or uninstall it completely and install a replacement antivirus before the trial expires so that your PC is not left unprotected.

Also note that if using the paid version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware with your antivirus in realtime that it is generally a good idea to exclude Malwarebytes' files from your antivirus to avoid conflicts. The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Please post back if you have further questions.

Thank You ;)

Strat,

You really really need to install the Service Pack 2 and then Service Pack 3 after that As Soon As Possible: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=270072

Support for XP with no service pack ended September 30th, 2004. Your system is at GREAT risk.

Here is a Wikipedia article with some great background information on XP as well as information on service packs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

I apologize for the delay.

I downloaded and ran Avast (it's the only one I could find that runs on XP with no service packs). It didn't find anything. The computer seems to be running very fast with no quirkiness.

I found a post in these forums that had the same trouble as me. Here is the link:

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...can%27t+install

If you were able to resolve his problem I'd love to know what you suggested.

I'll look into the Linux suggestion. While not thrilled about installing a whole new operating system (I'm older and a novice on computers. If I do something wrong I'll be left with a $50 paper weight), I'll try it if I can do it safely.

And thanks to everyone for taking the time to help.