can't get headohones to work on laptop

byte_king

Hello all,

I'm posting this for a friend. She has a Compaq laptop that previously had Windows XP SP3 on it. We installed Windows 7 on it and everything is working fine and dandy, except for one thing. Every time she connects earphones, her computer fails to recognize them and instead sound comes out of the speakers still. She has no issues with her laptop's speakers, thankfully, yet headphones cannot and do not seem to be recognized by the computer.

What can cause this and how do I fix it? Thanks :)

Hello Exile360,

She has a Compaq presario v3000 I believe. I'm not totally sure right now on the audio chipset. I believe I saw something like IDT high definition audio CODEC. I hope thats what you need. I'm not exactly clear what a audio chipset is. Thanks for your patience.

Edit: I uninstalled and reinstalled the audio driver and still no love :)

I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the speakers/headphones default settings. I'm not sure if this will work, but it may be worth a try:

First plug in your headphones. If you have a speaker icon in your System Tray, right click on it then select 'Playback Devices'. Change the default setting to headphones and see if the headphones are working. It should default back to speakers when you unplug the headphones, if it's working properly.

If it doesn't work properly, and you then can't get any sound out of the speakers, change the default setting back to speakers again.

Best of luck. :P

What I really need is the exact model number of the laptop. V3000 is just the series, there should be a sticker or label somewhere on the laptop (likely on the bottom) that says exactly what it is, otherwise it will be pretty tough to find. If you can't find the model number then you can have her try the Start Detection>> option on this page. It should give her the model number and she can select Windows 7 as her operating system, then have her look for the Audio drivers.

Hello again,

I asked her to do what you asked and this is the information she returned:

HP service tag: V3110CA

SIN: 2CE6462GV9

pin: RG518UA#ABL

She also checked the website and told me that the site dosen't seem to have audio drivers for windows 7. I will take a look myself, and see if it holds true.

Thank you.

@ Firefox,

haha yep. That was one of the first things I have looked at. When she first told me about the issue I immediately thought she probably was using the wrong jack, but she and I are not. The headphones also work, I have no problems using them on my iPod, but as soon as I plug them in, the headphones aren't recognized by the computer. Even if the headphones don't work, they would still be recognized as being plugged into the jack.

At any rate, I do suspect a driver issue...I just can't seem to find the driver set that would work. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, however. If anything else pops into your mind about the issue, please let me know. I'm sure the answer could also be something simple that I am missing.

:)