Vipre & Avast Antiviral with Active Malwarebytes

We have been installing the active running, start with Windows, setup of Malwarebytes. In the last 3 weeks or so, computers have been freezing/locking up. This has been occuring with both Vipre antiviral and Avast antiviral. Our customers like the active running, active protection, start with Windows options.

What can we do to prevent this freeze up and still maintain active protection, load with Windows? We like malwarebytes. Please help.

I do not know about Vipre antiviral but I run avast! and I have updated to pre-release build of avast [5.0.415] that cured my problem on my XP Pro system.

What's new

Most notable improvements include:

- stability improvements in the Behavior Shield

- an attempt to solve the compatibility issue with MBAM Pro

- improvements in the rootkit scanner

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55365.0

What version of windows are you running? I know that there have been some issues with Viper and MBAM working together. Have you entered exceptions for MBAM in your AV and Firewall program? Here is the list of exceptions.....

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

I do not know about Vipre antiviral but I run avast! and I have updated to pre-release build of avast [5.0.415] that cured my problem on my XP Pro system.

The 5.0.415 was a pre-release version - There has since been a further full update 5.0.418 said to cure this problem amongst other improvements. This update can be obtained from the inbuilt program update facility, or downloaded as a complete installation file from the Avast site.

@ Greyfox

I have the update

Change log (incomplete list):

- stability improvements in the Behavior Shield

- improved compatibility with MBAM Pro (Windows XP)

- improvements in the rootkit scanner

- solved a vulnerability in AavmKer4.sys (Windows 2000/XP only) - special thanks to Tobias Klein

- ProAV + IS: solved a problem with Acrobat hanging when opening pdf files directly from IE

- firewall: low-level packet rules are back in the Expert settings

- improvements in the licensing engine

- new languages: Traditional Chinese, Swedish, Korean, Bulgarian, Hungarian. This makes the current number of supported languages 16

All users of the previous v5 builds are recommended to upgrade.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55484.0

Hi Downtown C -

You must ensure VIPRE is not running with Avast installed - Either one can run but not both unless you are only using VIPRE firewall -

The above solution from YoKenny1 works if you only use Avast -

Thank you for contacting Sunbelt technical support. You just need to make sure that no active protection is enabled on malwarebytes this could cause conflicts with VIPRE if you have this on. Please let me know if you have any questions or problems.

Thank you,

Jason Todd

Tier I Consumer Technical Support

This reply was sent from Sunbelt (VIPRE) Support when I asked about running VIPRE with Malwarebytes -

Thank You - ;)

Hi Downtown C -

You must ensure VIPRE is not running with Avast installed - Either one can run but not both unless you are only using VIPRE firewall -

The above solution from YoKenny1 works if you only use Avast -

This reply was sent when I asked about running VIPRE with Malwarebytes -

Thank You - ;)

Just to clarify this better. This has nothing to do with compatibility reason, but running two anti-viruses at once. I've never had this happen, but I've heard when they both attempt to quarantine the file you will pay dearly. This is something that cannot be fixed by forcing a shut down by holding the power button, but a more serious issue.

Hi Downtown Computer,

I may have a similar problem as yours with a temporary solution. Basically, my main active running security program is Webroot Internet Security Essentials (WISE) and it can't Sweep (its name for scan) when MBAM Pro is actively running ( ref. : http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=39632 ). Noknojon is also checking this issue.

Could you try this stepwise : i) Load MBAM Pro without active protection, ii) Do a MBAM QuickScan, iii) Then, push the button Start Protection. Does it prevent your freezing issue? (If you wish, you could post also your answer in my thread).

Your issue could be like mine if your system freezes when Avast or Vipre is in action, maybe scanning, after the active protection of MBAM Pro is on.

Thanks.