Windows Defender

lazydave46

Hello,

My Window Defender says that it is not on, and i only know this by checking it everyday... My Protected Mode is always On. My security settings show it is on, but i cannot understand why i get the window defender notice. Is it because of the other AV and spyware protection i have? Maybe there is a conflict between the scheduled udate and scan settings?

I run IE 8, Vista...if that helps. I did change the times for updates and scans this morning, and hope that it is something simple like that. Thanks ahead of time for anyone who helps. And i did post earlier but it apparently did not make the forum, and apologize if this is duplicated.

Thanks

Move your mouse pointer over your ID then left click (Select) you will see a drop down menu where you can select Find Member's Posts

Every day I go to Windows Defender's portal site and update its definitions:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Definitions/ADL.aspx

I have it set to run a Quick scan every morning at 7:00am if the system is powered on.

Make sure that Real-time protection: is On

I have the same prob as "lazydave46" after a shutdown or reboot services says its stopped? [running win xp 32 bit x86] You can go to the Windows defender homepage and type in the problem... MS will try to fix it for free... I'm on level two suppor, the 1st person I was on the phone with for an hour could not figure out why...

If your running Malwarebytes you may want to try these two registry fixes? I tried both and still no luck? download the zip files to your desktop & after you unzip them to the desktop - merge them in the registry. see the link below:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=29158 good luck, post back & let us know.. regards..

There are 2 possible causes, either the Windows Defender service is not running or your antivirus disabled Windows Defender (many do this to avoid any potential conflicts, in particular Norton products I know do this):

To check the service:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and type services.msc and press Enter
  • Click Continue at the User Account Control prompt
  • Once the Services window opens, scroll down the list until you find the Windows Defender service and double click on it
  • Click the drop down menu next to Startup Type and select Automatic then click the Start button to start the service
  • Click the Apply button and click on Ok
  • Close the Services control panel

What other active security software do you have installed?

@yardbird: that particular fix is for an issue related to User Account Control/Windows Defender blocking MBAM from running at startup and is unrelated to whether or not Windows Defender is able to run.

Just to add to what exile360 said about some AVs deliberately shutting down Windows Defender - AVG9 does this on installation. Previous versions of AVG did not, but the new version 9 does. (Mentioning this because you don't say which AV you're using in your post).

(AVG claim they disable Windows Defender now on the advice of Microsoft because of system slowing issues).

@ lazydave -

I have found that Windows Defender is no longer getting the support from M/soft it once was -

Personally I wouls try to delete it and upgrade to Microsoft Security Essentials - MSE seems to be the new baby for M/soft and is getting more attention than Defender these days if you wish to still use the Free M/soft versions - I have been happy with it -

Again you do not mention what other A/V you have as catscomputer mentions it may have disabled it -(AVG or other)

Regards - :D

@yardbird: Hi :D

Have you already tried uninstalling and reinstalling Windows Defender? (this only applies to you because you're on XP, you cannot uninstall Windows Defender in Windows Vista) If it doesn't correct it then you might consider creating a new topic here as Windows Defender in XP and Vista are completely different, therefore the steps taken to fix the problem will be very different.

@lazydave46: Please do the following to see if it corrects your issue:

• Please copy and paste the following text exactly as written into notepad (not wordpad or any other text editor):
    @echo off
    sc config WinDefend start= auto
    net start WinDefend
    winmgmt /verifyrepository
    winmgmt /salvagerepository
    del /f /q %0
    exit

Once you've done that click on File and select Save As...

• In the Save dialogue box click on the drop down menu next to Save as type and select All Files
  • Name the file DefenderFix.bat (the .bat extension is very important)
  • Save the file to your desktop and right click on it and select Run as administrator then click Continue at the User Account Control prompt.

Please let me know how it goes.

@ exile360 Did the uninstall of windows defender a few times 2 weeks ago... However MS with there remote ctl. of my mouse sent me some reg files. Which corrected the problem.. So my issue with Windows Defender is fixed. If they weren't so fast. I would have taken note of what was in those reg files. So I'm not sure where they merged them . Since I'm -- or I was the only Issue.... unless someone else has the same prob as me? I suppose the case is closed. If there is another case like mine? Post no. #7 above was abig help - for free.... thx. for the replies....