Questions from an interested user

I am just curious, after trying out the beta, how you all feel about this AM product. Do you feel it is ready? And by ready I mean, can it take the place of a traditional antivirus. That is something I'm not sure about. I tried testing it with the eicar test file and I was not told that there were any imfected files. That makes me wonder that prehaps this is not ready to be the first line of defense, but instead should be seen as complimentary, or a backup scanner.

And by ready I mean, can it take the place of a traditional antivirus.

MBAM is not an antivirus application and is not designed to take the place of one . What MBAM is designed to do is catch the malware often missed by traditional antivirus applications . The true definition of a virus is software that compromises existing files in a system so that they perform malicious tasks . A true antivirus application will be able to take these files and remove the malicious code leaving the cleaned file behind .

What we do is go after adware , spyware , backdoors , proxies , bots , worms , trojans and rootkits . These are all considered malware and this is why we use the word antimalware in the name of our product .

We do catch virus installers though , the files that actually do the patching of your existing files .

I tried testing it with the eicar test file and I was not told that there were any imfected files.

Eiar is not a virus or malware , its a file designed to see if you antivirus/trojan/malware software is working . Truth be told we have not added it yet , been too busy adding actual malware definitions to our software .

That makes me wonder that prehaps this is not ready to be the first line of defense, but instead should be seen as complimentary, or a backup scanner.

MBAM is not designed to take the place of antivirus software , it is designed to fill in the gaps in protection that are notorious with antivirus software .

• 2 months later...
MBAM is not an antivirus application and is not designed to take the place of one . What MBAM is designed to do is catch the malware often missed by traditional antivirus applications . The true definition of a virus is software that compromises existing files in a system so that they perform malicious tasks . A true antivirus application will be able to take these files and remove the malicious code leaving the cleaned file behind .

What we do is go after adware , spyware , backdoors , proxies , bots , worms , trojans and rootkits . These are all considered malware and this is why we use the word antimalware in the name of our product .

We do catch virus installers though , the files that actually do the patching of your existing files .

Eiar is not a virus or malware , its a file designed to see if you antivirus/trojan/malware software is working . Truth be told we have not added it yet , been too busy adding actual malware definitions to our software .

MBAM is not designed to take the place of antivirus software , it is designed to fill in the gaps in protection that are notorious with antivirus software .

I guess I'm a little concerned then. The term 'malware' is an all-encompassing term. Malware is any code that is intent on harming the system, in any way, shape, or form. So, what your basically saying is that MBAM cannot defend against all these threats and htat it was never intended to. That is a shame. I know many people at Wilders believe this product to protect them from all types of malware given the name of MBAM. I just which I had remembered this thread before I made my purchase, given that I now need an AV.

I guess I'm a little concerned then. The term 'malware' is an all-encompassing term. Malware is any code that is intent on harming the system, in any way, shape, or form. So, what your basically saying is that MBAM cannot defend against all these threats and htat it was never intended to. That is a shame. I know many people at Wilders believe this product to protect them from all types of malware given the name of MBAM. I just which I had remembered this thread before I made my purchase, given that I now need an AV.

Spread the word Nathan that you discovered MBAM doesn't defend against all threats, all malware, all virii and give me a link to which Anti-whatever does the job.

Dream on,

Gerard

Spread the word Nathan that you discovered MBAM doesn't defend against all threats, all malware, all virii and give me a link to which Anti-whatever does the job.

Dream on,

Gerard

True. No product can cover everything. But not all products call themselves 'antimalware'. I guess I think it's just extreme false advertising, because MBAM doesn't even try.

True. No product can cover everything. But not all products call themselves 'antimalware'. I guess I think it's just extreme false advertising, because MBAM doesn't even try.

OK, let's look at it some other way:

Name me one (better more) AV app. that prevent against/clean a virus only.

Gerard

Well now you're just stuttering. What are you asking me?

Sorry, English is not my native language, so it might be a bit unclear.

What I asked you: name me one, or even better more, any AV program that just detect a Virus and nothing else (trojan, worm etc.)

Sorry for being unclear,

Gerard

Sorry, English is not my native language, so it might be a bit unclear.

What I asked you: name me one, or even better more, any AV program that just detect a Virus and nothing else (trojan, worm etc.)

Sorry for being unclear,

Gerard

There isn't one. Also, though, notice that the detection of 'virii' is not listed for MBAM. So, it is a moot point.

Malware is a general term used when discribing unwanted/harmful programs.

One should never assume that any one app will cover everything nasty out there.

MBAM compliments other security software I have on my box and does a nice job at that.

A layered defense is IMO the best way if not the only way to go.

What one misses another will stop, at least thats the plan.

About calling it an Anti-malware, I see no problem with this catigory.

Malwarebytes Anti-spywareBotRootkitWormTrojanDialerAdwareBackdoorVirusHijackerKeyloggerRogue would just be too long. :P

Malware is a general term used when discribing unwanted/harmful programs.

One should never assume that any one app will cover everything nasty out there.

MBAM compliments other security software I have on my box and does a nice job at that.

A layered defense is IMO the best way if not the only way to go.

What one misses another will stop, at least thats the plan.

About calling it an Anti-malware, I see no problem with this catigory.

Anti-spywareBotRootkitWormTrojanDialerAdwareBackdoorVirusHijackerKeyloggerRogue would just be too long. :P

Except, you are missing one very important aspect of the term, and that is virii. That is a category which MBAM doesn't cover and it just happens to be the most important.

Again, it's the fact that MBAM doesn't even attempt to live up to its name by even trying to cover all the bases. If it did then there would be no need for an AV.

With my box that is the job of Avast.

Again..................A layered defense.

A layered defense shouldn't be needed if it lived up to its name. Tell me his, why do you not consider virii as malware? I find it very convenient that MB chooses what it wants to define as malware and what it does not.

• Root Admin

Hello Nathan,

I see your postings as starting to be on the level of TROLL. Meaning that it has been explained to you already and every other product out there on the Internet whether free or paid uses the term MALWARE (it used to be Spyware but due to changes in time everyone went with Malware).

There is no committee to decide for the World what name is used - it just sort of grows out over time. If you don't like the product that's okay, no one is forcing you to use it. But to continue to berate the product on the same basis of terminology that every other product is using is a bit incredulous itself.

If you can not or will not accept the definitions used then there is nothing more to say in my opinion. We will have to agree to disagree on terminology and perhaps you can take it up with one of the many other forums out there that use the term MALWARE in their products as well.

A layered defense shouldn't be needed if it lived up to its name. Tell me his, why do you not consider virii as malware? I find it very convenient that MB chooses what it wants to define as malware and what it does not.

Virii is a form of malware but it is an incorrect pluralization of "virus"

Which is the job of an Anti-Virus.

And yes a layered defense is needed no matter what combo someone goes with or what each one in that combo calls themself.

I'm not saying to load up on scanners but differant approaches to ones security. You know this Nathan.

But to each their own. Yes it would be nice if one app would keep one secure but that ain't gonna happen.

Quit being so pedantic :P

What MBAM does it does well so leave well enough alone and go and find another windmill to fight.

Hello Nathan,

I see your postings as starting to be on the level of TROLL. Meaning that it has been explained to you already and every other product out there on the Internet whether free or paid uses the term MALWARE (it used to be Spyware but due to changes in time everyone went with Malware).

There is no committee to decide for the World what name is used - it just sort of grows out over time. If you don't like the product that's okay, no one is forcing you to use it. But to continue to berate the product on the same basis of terminology that every other product is using is a bit incredulous itself.

If you can not or will not accept the definitions used then there is nothing more to say in my opinion. We will have to agree to disagree on terminology and perhaps you can take it up with one of the many other forums out there that use the term MALWARE in their products as well.

You right. I'm upset about this, about the definition of the term 'malware'. There are users out there that say nothing and just accept things the way they are, as you are asking me to do now, but I'm not that type of person. If I see something wrong, I will bring attention to it. Of course, this is just my opinion, and as such cannot be debated.

It is relevant to me because I feel like I bought MBAM, and suggested it to others, based on the idea that it truly was, as its name states, an 'anti-malware' solution, which it is not because not everything is categorized as such. I wish I could undo my purchase and leave here because it seems anyone that points out that the king indeed has no clothes on it a 'troll' even if they have no intention of being one.

There are no products I can thing of that call themselves 'anti-malware', that do not at least attemp to cover all the bases. A-squared AM catches a lot of virii, but it is expensive. Thus, I thought this would be a good option.

I will clear some of this up here and now .

We detect :

Virus infectors

Worms

Bots

Trojans

Adware

Spyware

Keylogger (malware only , for now)

Proxies

Backdoors

That is why we call it antiMALWARE .

We do NOT do the following :

Detect patched files

Unpatch files

These are the job of antivirus software and why MBAM should be used WITH antivirus software .

Antivirus software will detect much of the same malware we do but as anyone here that knows their stuff will tell you we are often way faster at detecting and removing certain malware families that Antivirus has always been very bad at .

We currently have 7 different ways we can detect malware and this is one of the reasons we detect so much .

EDIT to add

We also detect many rootkits and have powerful drivers to remove them .

Nathan your quibbling over the use of one word. I suggest you do a Google search for malware and see what comes up. MBAM certainly does remove malware. It is on the cutting edge of malware removal Have a look in the HiJack This forum and see what it takes care of. MBAM never has claimed to be an anti virus program. There is no one program that is going to save the world. The people in this conversation have told you good solid information. It takes a layered protection to be reasonably safe. This will not guarantee there will never be an infection. Much of the chance of infection is centered around the user. I will most likely never have an infection, I use good protection and I know enough to not engage in risky behavior. The kid across the street that is using P2P software and downloading free games will end up with something.

I will not allow this thread to turn into a flame war, so everyone, please refrain from making comments to that nature.

There are no products I can thing of that call themselves 'anti-malware', that do not at least attemp to cover all the bases. A-squared AM catches a lot of virii, but it is expensive. Thus, I thought this would be a good option.

It's not an AV :P Also, AVG Anti-Spyware was formerly known as ewido anti-malware. Just two well-known anti-malwares that do not cover all the bases and act as anti-virus application.

I have also found that ALL apps that try to do everything do none of it well .

Every security expert that I know would choose a firewall , antivirus and antispyware/adware/trojan/malware all from different vendors to prevert a single attack from completely removing all protection .