MBAM or SAS real time

Hi, In a Wilders forum thread which talked about the AV as a tool to prevent and anti-spyware like MBAM a tool to clean out malware rather than prevent, I asked the following question: I have SAS Pro running real time on my computer, and MBAM free on demand. If I purchased MBAM and reversed the setup making MBAM run real time and SAS Pro on demand, would that be a better setup? a reply said that he thought MBAM real time might interfere with my NOD32AV. Is that a possibility?

I'm beginning to feel that MBAM might be a better choice for real time, due to the fact that when ever you read about a virus being cleaned, they almost always suggest the victim download MBAM and run it. That suggestion says to me that MBAM must be superior in some respects. Does anyone want to comment as to running one real time or the other? Thanks in advance. ;)

Hi twl845 -

MBAM is not an actual A/V tool - It has been designed to work with antivirus programs (in general) -

The MBAM tool , if configured correctly , will act alongside your A/V program and not conflict with it in real time - You may need to make exclusions from your antivirus to allow MBAM to fully work (as you can read in the many pinned FAQ's on this forum) - In real time it will help rather than hinder your A/V and prevent many infections from entering as well as the IP protection that has a data bank of many unsavory sites -

I am not an Expert on this but that is the basics behind MBAM's ideas -

I'm unsure how Malwarebyte forum can discuss other Malware removal tools in great detail

But, SAS has real-time protection in the free version(?) So no need to buy it anyway.

Sorry it doesn't

I agree that Malwarebytes would be better for real-time protection than all others, certainly as it works well with most Antiviruses without any issue at all, including with NOD32

Just be aware though, as I'm unsure who ignorantly informed you about Anti-Malware tools and Anti-virus tools not working together?? But certainly they do.

Edited by kimsland

We're not exactly unbiased, but we certainly believe our product is the strongest performer in the field! -- we couldn't work as hard as we do on this project if we didn't think that. Obviously it is your decision, but we think our database plus realtime and IP protection capabilities make us a leader on this score. Many of the MBAM staff use NOD32 easily without compatibility issues, although occasionally it is required to exclude MBAM files from NOD32 detection.

I agree with Swandog46. I'm a long time user of both products in realtime, but over the past couple of years MBAM has come a long way and with the addition of the IP Protection component, which will often prevent your computer from even connecting to malicious content on the web, it is far superior to SAS. I've actually been considering removing SAS myself as I've not had it block a single threat in years, not that I've gotten infected, but I have had MBAM catch several things that slipped past my AV (which is pretty rare in itself).

As for compatibility, I can confirm that MBAM functions just fine in realtime with NOD32 as I know of several users who use this configuration successfully, but excluding MBAM's files from your AV and firewall is always a good idea, as is excluding any files from other security applications you might be using from your AV and firewall as well. This avoids both possible future issues with performance and conflicts.

Hi twl845 -

MBAM is not an actual A/V tool - It has been designed to work with antivirus programs (in general) -

The MBAM tool , if configured correctly , will act alongside your A/V program and not conflict with it in real time - You may need to make exclusions from your antivirus to allow MBAM to fully work (as you can read in the many pinned FAQ's on this forum) - In real time it will help rather than hinder your A/V and prevent many infections from entering as well as the IP protection that has a data bank of many unsavory sites -

I am not an Expert on this but that is the basics behind MBAM's ideas -

My Outpost Pro firewall also has IP protection with a data bank of unsavory sites. Would two data banks preventing bad IP's from accessing be a conflict?

I agree with Swandog46. I'm a long time user of both products in realtime, but over the past couple of years MBAM has come a long way and with the addition of the IP Protection component, which will often prevent your computer from even connecting to malicious content on the web, it is far superior to SAS. I've actually been considering removing SAS myself as I've not had it block a single threat in years, not that I've gotten infected, but I have had MBAM catch several things that slipped past my AV (which is pretty rare in itself).

As for compatibility, I can confirm that MBAM functions just fine in realtime with NOD32 as I know of several users who use this configuration successfully, but excluding MBAM's files from your AV and firewall is always a good idea, as is excluding any files from other security applications you might be using from your AV and firewall as well. This avoids both possible future issues with performance and conflicts.

Thanks to all for the info. I feel more confidant about buying MBAM. :D

Thanks to all for the info. I feel more confidant about buying MBAM. :D

You're very welcome ;) . I'm glad I could help.

My Outpost Pro firewall also has IP protection with a data bank of unsavory sites. Would two data banks preventing bad IP's from accessing be a conflict?

No, there should be no conflict between the two :) .

Hello!

And what about ESS and Malwarebytes with real protection enabled? Any problem?

Thanks in advance

Carlos

It works just fine with ESET Smart Security as well :) . I believe there were some issues with version 3, but since version 4 was released I've heard no reports of any problems :) .

• 2 weeks later...