Question about Cyrus by Malwarebytes

So I recently discovered the app the other day, and I saw in one of the screenshots that it could scan for Malware on iOS devices?

I was under the assumption that apps weren’t allowed to run scans on iPhones/ipads or am I misinterpreting what this means?

Edited by Badran

You are correct that no 3rd party app is allowed to conduct a comprehensive malware scan, and if it could, there would be no way to remove the threat other than restoring it to factory fresh and any damage would have already have taken place.

Edited by alvarnell

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, jtodd234 said:

Jason from Support here. I want to investigate what you saw @Badran to ensure it's not misleading users. Can you share where you saw this information by chance?

Hi!
On the  UK App Store I saw this in one of the preview images

Seeing it say “Malware check” is what left me confused

IMG_1835.jpeg

Edited by Badran

• Staff

I just checked into that. Since I'm on the Corporate side of the business these days, I haven't had any involvement with the Cyrus app, so I didn't know what that was either.

It sounds like this is related to a feature that can indicate whether one of your devices may be infected, by looking for leaks online that would indicate that data may have been stolen from one of your devices. This would almost certainly not be your iOS device, but would likely pertain to a Mac, Windows, or Android device that was compromised. You can initiate this search and see the results in the iOS app.

I do agree this wording is not clear, and have sent some feedback to the Consumer team that we should think about some kind of wording change there.

• Like 1