Win 10 v22H2 Windows Update Problems After Upgrade to MB Premium v5.x

Has anyone with a Win 10 OS had problems installing their Patch Tuesday updates (released on the 2nd Tuesday of each month) since upgrading to Malwarebytes Premium v5.x?  

My Malwarebytes Premium v4.1.6 automatically upgraded to v5.1.3 on 19-Apr-2024.  Since then, during my:

• May 2024 Patch Tuesday updates on 19-May-2024 Windows Update threw 0x800706be errors during the download of my KB5037768 monthly CU (OS Build 19045.4412) and KB2267602 Microsoft Defender virus definition set v1.411.217. See details in my post # 2673128 in the AskWoody forum.
  • June 2024 Patch Tuesday updates on 14-Jun-2024 Windows Update got stuck while downloading my KB5039211 monthly CU (OS Build 19045.4529) and Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT).  I re-configured Malwarebytes Premium so it would not load at Windows startup (General | Windows Startup | Launch Malwarebytes in the Background When Windows Starts | OFF) and re-booted my computer, and Windows Update ran to completion without any further problems.  See details in my post # 2680565 in the AskWoody forum.
  • July 2024 Patch Tuesday updates on 12-Jul-2024 I prevented Malwarebytes Premium from starting with Windows and re-booted BEFORE my Windows Update session started and all updates [including my KB5040427 monthly CU (OS Build 19045.4651)] installed without throwing errors or getting stuck.  See details in my post # 2687199 in the AskWoody forum.

These preliminary tests suggest that Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.x might be interfering with Windows Update on my Win 10 v22H2 machine.  I know it might be a coincidence that my Patch Tuesday problems started immediately after my Malwarebytes Premium upgraded to v5.x so I'm just curious to know if any other Win 10 users have noticed a similar problem.

Note that my Malwarebytes setting at General | Windows Security | Always Register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center is OFF and I always create mutual scan exclusions in my MS Defender and Malwarebytes settings to minimize possible conflicts.

mbst-grab-results 13 Jul 2024.zip

------------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4651 * Firefox v128.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24050.7-1.1.24060.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.6.117-1.0.1280 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783

Edited by lmacri

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

7 minutes ago, lmacri said:

I'm just curious to know if any other Win 10 users have noticed a similar problem.

No, I have not had any issues. I will leave it at that. 

It is not a common occurrence and I not going to say it does not happen to some configurations.

No problems with WU here with a similar setup on 2 x W10 computers.  The only problem I have with WU is the notorious update KB5034441 which has failed for months but that is a known Microsoft issue.

• Root Admin

Please see the following information about the KB5034441 Windows Update installation failure

Microsoft won't fix Windows 0x80070643 errors, manual fix required
May 2, 2024
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-wont-fix-windows-0x80070643-errors-manual-fix-required/

KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/kb5028997-instructions-to-manually-resize-your-partition-to-install-the-winre-update-400faa27-9343-461c-ada9-24c8229763bf

Extend the Windows RE Partition using PowerShell (Microsoft)
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-update-to-winre?view=windows-11#extend-the-windows-re-partition

Microsoft shares script to update Windows 10 WinRE with BitLocker fixes
January 11, 2024
https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-shares-script-to-update-windows-10-winre-with-bitlocker-fixes/

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please see the following information about the KB5034441 Windows Update installation failure ...

The KB5034441 WinRE update successfully installed on my Win 10 Pro v22H2 laptop with my other Jan 2024 Patch Tuesday updates even though my WinRE partition did not have the 250 MB of free disk space recommended by Microsoft (see my 16-Jan-2024 post # 2628138 in the AskWoody forum). However, I was still using Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.8.311-1.0.2242 (rel. 11-Jan-2024) at the time.

My problems with Windows Update did not begin until after my Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.12 automatically upgraded to v5.1.3 on 19-Apr-2024.  As OP of this topic that is why I asked if anyone had started having new problems with Windows Update AFTER they upgraded to Malwarebytes Premium v5.x.

I don't want this thread to go too far off topic, but if the KB5034441 WinRE update has failed on your system in the past you should read the 10-Jul-2024 ghacks.net article Microsoft says KB5034440 and KB5034441 updates won't be offered to PCs that meet these conditionsMicrosoft modified the release notes <here> for KB5034441 on 09-Jul-2024 (expand the section titled "Change Log") and they now claim that Windows Update should no longer offer KB5034441 to Win 10 v21H2 and v22H2 users if their WinRE recovery partition does not have sufficient free space.
------------
Dell Inspiron 15 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.4651 * Firefox v128.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.24050.7-1.1.24060.5 * Malwarebytes Premium v5.1.6.117-1.0.1280 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7783

Edited by lmacri

2 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please see the following information about the KB5034441 Windows Update installation failure

Thanks for the info.  I tried the reagentc /info test mentioned in KB5028997, I don't even have WINRE installed.  Then I checked WU and am no longer getting KB5034441 update offered.  

I agree with Imacri that we are moving off topic.

• Root Admin

I no longer run any computers with Windows 10

If you're able to Duplicate this issue (you could remove an update, reboot and reinstall it for testing possibly) please let us know. But also make sure you're on the very latest build of Malwarebytes along with MBST logs

Thank you