AdAware specials

noknojon

Bummer !! :)

It plays (reasonable) now - So I suppose will not get any others for a while -

WOW - I read over some of them - It looks like a very long read -

It is strange that nothing comes up in any scans these days - Unless some of it is in the hidden files that I get from Avira -

And I thought it was a quickie find advert for AdAware !!

i dropped lavasofts ad-aware when they started bundling in piad for bit parts in the free version.dont like useing just one or two scanners when it comes to looking for malware.

was looking at it a while back thinking mabye i should see how it does nowadays.

glad i looked at this post.

used to be a long time ago a fairly dencet program,lite and easy;then they seemed to riun it with all the frills.still got a very old version laying around on disc that ive not converted into a table mat or frizzbie as off yet,rather use that than there new program.

its why i like malwarebytes,no fancy extras piad for or free,just decent dectections.

:)

PopCap (the company that makes those games) is also known for producing adware .

I just went to pogo.com because I was curious if I'd get any alerts from MBAM or my AV. Got an IP block but the page was still allowed to load. Someone I know uses this site... ehhh

Wait a sec - I have some of those games I'm sure. I see the names sometimes if I happen to be watching what one of my AV/AS/AM scanners are doing. They came pre-installed with my HP laptop but I'm not into games and so I've never even opened them. I know I have Bejeweled and the name Puzzle looks familiar too. Does that mean I have Adware ion my computer??

@mountaintree: This is likely the site that's causing the IP Protection notification :) .

@catscomputer: These games often come preinstalled, but if MBAM has never detected anything malicious in a scan then you don't have the adware components installed :) . My comment wasn't to scare people off from playing their games, it was simply to show they type of company that LavaSoft has chosen to partner with might not be the best option considering that their product is an antimalware tool, and PopCap does make what many vendors (including Computer Associates, McAfee, Malwarebytes', Trend Micro, Kaspersky and many others) consider to be adware.

@catscomputer: These games often come preinstalled, but if MBAM has never detected anything malicious in a scan then you don't have the adware components installed :) . My comment wasn't to scare people off from playing their games, it was simply to show they type of company that LavaSoft has chosen to partner with might not be the best option considering that their product is an antimalware tool, and PopCap does make what many vendors (including Computer Associates, McAfee, Malwarebytes', Trend Micro, Kaspersky and many others) consider to be adware.

MBAM has never detected anything in my games files, so that's good.

Thanks for explaining that, because it would certainly be a worry if HP (or MS, if it is part of Vista) were selling computers with adware on! Mind you, as you say, it's pretty off that an antispyware company is promoting games associated with adware!!

Thanks for explaining that, because it would certainly be a worry if HP (or MS, if it is part of Vista) were selling computers with adware on! Mind you, as you say, it's pretty off that an antispyware company is promoting games associated with adware!!

You're welcome :) . It would be bad indeed, almost as bad as if some big company like, I don't know, say Dell were to partner with a company known for something like...I don't know, browser hijacking or something ridiculous like that. We all know big companies like Dell would never do something like that right :) ? That would potentially be viewed as a disservice to their customers.

As did I, as did most techies. Spybot+AdAware was all there was for a very long time. Now AdAware has severely lost its edge. All their new versions just bring on more bloat, even in the free versions. I'm sure this move was just to try and generate more sales, which is understandable, it's good advertising and perhaps they think they'll attract younger users who may have never used or heard of AdAware before by enticing them with games.

@ Marcus

I can get that for you later on today if you still want, but I believe its the IP in the thread that Exile linked to :)

@ Exile

I think that that is exactly right :) I've never used it though, I was just curious about it getting a block or not after seeing this thread; so I'm not missing anything :)

That's what I had thought too, Marcus.

You're welcome :) It's too bad, it looks like there are some fun games on there, but I don't play any games online. I'll stick with gaming systems and the games that come on the puter (such as Minesweeper, Solitaire, etc... and physically played board games, love those!!)

I'm not saying that the games themselves are bad, in fact I own a copy of Bejeweled 2 Deluxe myself, I just don't think it's appropriate for an anti-adware company to partner with a company known for producing adware just to try to boost the sales of their security product or increase profits (like the Ask Toolbar, which is now bundled with far too many security programs :( ).

@ Exile

I didn't think that you were saying that :)

I just don't know what is safe or not so I err on the side of caution and don't use any of them. I'd like to play the Bejeweled game, it sounds really fun, but I don't know a definite safe source. If you could tell me a safe place to get it, that would be super awesome! Or did you buy it?

And I couldn't agree with you more; a known anti-adware company should not be doing that :( Bleh, seems like some toolbar or other is bundled with a lot of things lately :) Just gotta be careful and make sure next isn't hit without making sure there aren't any checked checkboxes that you don't want checked :)